Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dreamliner 9 vs 10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Dreamliner 9 vs 10

Looking at flights on either a friday night or sat night from EWR to LAX and notice a different config even though they are both dreamliners. The friday night flight seems to be the "newer" plane with all Polaris seats with direct aisle access. The sat night flight is all 2 2 2. Is the hard product the same, same seat, etc.. or is there a big difference?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Yes. The un-Polarized 787-9 seats are very different from 787-10 Polaris seats.
SPN Lifer and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
787-10 - every seat in business class has direct aisle access (1-2-1 seating configuration)
787-9 - some planes have been refurbished with direct aisle but not all (refurbished has 1-2-1 config; not-yet refurbished has 2-2-2)

I have taken the last flight out of EWR to LAX a bunch of times the last few months (UA275). For whatever reason, the westbound from EWR to LAX has been relatively empty, but the eastbound from LAX has been full/relatively full. I mention this because even on 2-2-2 seating configuration out of EWR, there is a higher likelihood to sit with an open seat next to the window seat...of course, YMMV. You can also sit in one of the middle seats, so you will have direct aisle access regardless of the plane; just on some 787-9 you may have to leap over someone if you have a window seat.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
So if I see a 2 2 2 config, I can assume they are the old business/PS seats and not the new Polaris seats? The old ones used to show up orange on the seat map and these show up blue. Just curious which seat I would be getting
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by lpro1111
Thank you
So if I see a 2 2 2 config, I can assume they are the old business/PS seats and not the new Polaris seats?
Correct.

Be mindful there can be last minute swaps closer to departure, and it could be in your favor.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lpro1111
Thank you
So if I see a 2 2 2 config, I can assume they are the old business/PS seats and not the new Polaris seats? The old ones used to show up orange on the seat map and these show up blue. Just curious which seat I would be getting
IME, reservations generally will always show the old 2x2x2 configuration, but as the departure date gets closer the new configuration will often will show up. No guarantee though, as both versions are floating around the system.
It will stay like that until some routes will get dedicated new Polaris and Premium Economy "3-class" service.
Ultra-longhauls such as SFO-SIN are considered to be prime candidates, once Covid-restrictions are lifted.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by cesco.g
IME, reservations generally will always show the old 2x2x2 configuration, but as the departure date gets closer the new configuration will often will show up. No guarantee though, as both versions are floating around the system.
It will stay like that until some routes will get dedicated new Polaris and Premium Economy "3-class" service.
Ultra-longhauls such as SFO-SIN are considered to be prime candidates, once Covid-restrictions are lifted.
I guess I have been lucky. With 6 last minute bookings in the last 3 weeks all the 787’s have shown 1 2 1 configurations. That said I’ll take a 757 over all of them! I’m not heavy but I had to grease myself to squeeze into the odd number window seats.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I guess I have been lucky. With 6 last minute bookings in the last 3 weeks all the 787’s have shown 1 2 1 configurations. That said I’ll take a 757 over all of them! I’m not heavy but I had to grease myself to squeeze into the odd number window seats.
Interesting. While the access is a bit narrow, I am very confy once I am settled in. A bit of an issue is getting my rolly into/out of the seat to unpack/repack items for the flight.
Dublin_rfk and Intl359Widget like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.