Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO Terminal 3 West Modernization Project March 2019 overview (now on hold)
Print Wikipost

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Denver is continuing with the Great Hall improvements, as well as expansion of concourses. I realize Denver is more domestic than SFO, is that the key difference?
The reason given for the SFO delay is the city airport revenue is way down, believe DEN operations is down in the order of 20% (passenger counts down 40%) while SFO perations are down over 50% (passenger numbers are still down 80%)
(Both are December 2020 data)
cesco.g, SPN Lifer and cuthroat like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Denver is continuing with the Great Hall improvements, as well as expansion of concourses. I realize Denver is more domestic than SFO, is that the key difference?
SFO reconstruction (I'm not taking about cosmetic stuff) is substantially more expensive. I'm not speaking primarily of labor, but of the fact that heavy structures are built on temporarily-stable jello with a crusty surface. The old part of recently-destroyed T1 was sinking into the bay, ever so slowly. Delaying refurbishment / addition to a fully functional and not unappealing terminal (high ceilings, plenty of concessions,etc.) is not even close to the end of the world for us. In fact, we might even enjoy a period where there isn't any major construction project at SFO. Given the current expenditures for T1, this is not surprising.

In my Bay Area tenure, I recall that the DL pier of the South Terminal was first under construction for some time, then the current International Terminal (the biggest mess, primarily because of the roadways), then the replacement of the Central Terminal with now T-2, then the replacement of the pier in T3 where AA used to be (now the E gates), then the replacement of the oldest remaining part of T1 (still under construction). [And lest we forget that there was an even older part of the South Terminal, which was destroyed for Int'l terminal construction.]
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It interesting how folks are not perturbed by the renovation / retrofit delay of SFO T3 but prefer to remanence about what the terminale was like 30-40 years --- must be little else to post about.
#1 delay makes perfect sense in current travel environment
#2 delay makes sense as this is probably at bottom of SF supervisors wish list
#3 current facility is perfectly adequate for most of us (when it gets back to full service mode)
#4 things were always better in the 80s and 90s - MP and UA in general have been on a steady decline since summer of 2000 for elites and everyone else, with the exception of Polaris lounges and seats.
Eastbay1K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
#1 delay makes perfect sense in current travel environment
#3 current facility is perfectly adequate for most of us (when it gets back to full service mode)
#4 things were always better in the 80s and 90s - MP and UA in general have been on a steady decline since summer of 2000 for elites and everyone else, with the exception of Polaris lounges and seats.
And, if there's a seismic event of sufficient magnitude, they'll have to fix it anyway.

David
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by DELee
And, if there's a seismic event of sufficient magnitude, they'll have to fix it anyway.

David
(Having lived in a territory not paying in but getting the benefits...) Wooh! Sweet FEMA money!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I have to disagree on the dates. 9/11/01 and subsequent bankruptcy and consolidation brought upon a seismic shift for all the US majors.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps not, as the article did state, that in-progress projects will continue but the T3 project, not yet started, will be delayed and
SFO posted some pictures of the T2-T3 airside connector construction today:
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

especially for IAD flyers!
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I think the current one is fine too... but, the BEST time to do construction to make a mess of it is when there's depressed traffic, not when we're back at peak levels.
PACLipper and JAaronT like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Clearly, as a Ferris Wheel removal is the current top priority.
JAaronT and demkr like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: Platinum
I transited through SFO last Thursday for the first time in over a year. I was struck by how it felt just a little more worn and dingy than I remembered. Lights felt low and the air seemed musty (even with my mask on).

Felt good to travel, even if it was for a family emergency.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by frankmu
I was struck by how it felt just a little more worn and dingy than I remembered. Lights felt low and the air seemed musty (even with my mask on).
Haven't noticed that as much, but I have noticed the moving walkways & escalators seem to be falling into a state of disrepair. Seems like I come across at least one that isn't working each time I pass through there.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frankmu
I transited through SFO last Thursday for the first time in over a year. I was struck by how it felt just a little more worn and dingy than I remembered. Lights felt low and the air seemed musty (even with my mask on)..
Welcome to what UA customers who fly out of the temporary C/D concourse have put up with for the last 2 decades.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by econ
Haven't noticed that as much, but I have noticed the moving walkways & escalators seem to be falling into a state of disrepair. Seems like I come across at least one that isn't working each time I pass through there.
I guess SF is catching up on a key "feature" of EWR....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.