One way to round trip change?

Old Mar 1, 21, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
One way to round trip change?

Hi all! I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in May and am planning to fly in F/J and UA is definitely the best option for me. I don't quite have the miles to make this an award booking though. I know that if I pay cash UA will let me make a change but there will be no refund/travel credit if I need to switch to a different flight that was cheaper. I certainly intend to go on this trip, as this is my only window for a while that would allow this kind of trip, but sometimes things happen and any domestic alternative will likely be significantly cheaper than the Hawaii ticket. Does anyone know/have experience if you bought a one way ticket, would I only be able to change this to another one way ticket or would I be able to apply the cost to a round trip flight? Thanks for the thoughts!
Old Mar 1, 21, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you cancel, the FFC can be used for round-trip ticket. No restriction to a one-way. UA just sees it as a $ credit, nothing else.
darkrider and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may change to any "legal" itinerary. You simply pay the fare difference, if any.
darkrider and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 9:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The simplest way to think of this is you will be "returning" one item to the "store" and receiving a credit that you will use to purchase another item. This is true for either cash or mileage tickets. You will not be adding a return to an existing segment but rather replacing the original one-way ticket with a new roundtrip ticket. You will not be able to do this online and will need to talk to an agent to do this.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I recently tried to change a O/W ticket to a R/T and couldn't figure out why the website wouldn't allow me book the new flight. I had forgotten it was a O/W as my wife is traveling O/W on WN. Once I figured that out I was able to cancel the O/W ticket and use the credit to book the R/T. I was able to do this online.
Old Mar 1, 21, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdiedouble View Post
I recently tried to change a O/W ticket to a R/T and couldn't figure out why the website wouldn't allow me book the new flight. I had forgotten it was a O/W as my wife is traveling O/W on WN. Once I figured that out I was able to cancel the O/W ticket and use the credit to book the R/T. I was able to do this online.
I'm pretty sure UA hates this kind of flexible use of money paid to them, but they got no choice (for now)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: