Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is the "Your flight is full" option to change gone? Not gone but not always available

Is the "Your flight is full" option to change gone? Not gone but not always available

Old Feb 26, 21, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)

Have a flight today that is oversold and I'm getting the message about being added to the volunteer list. No thanks, I need to get to my destination today. The only options they are offering are for tomrw.

However, both the website and the app will not give me the "Your flight is fairly full" message with the ability to change origin/destination airports for free. Has United removed the ability to make changes based on this message? When I try to manually change my ticket to the alternate airports I'm willing to use they are pricing it as a complete change with the fare difference being $173 because it's a last minute ticket.

-RM
Old Feb 26, 21, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
I had the message on two flights last week - E175 on one, and another on a widebody 78J.
Old Feb 26, 21, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I got the option this past Monday LAS-SFO with alternatives given - perhaps they figure if you don't want to volunteer for a change - and the only options are for tomorrow anyone, offering you change for free is moot
Old Feb 26, 21, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's still there.

However, the elimination of change fees means that "fairly full" has become a less meaningful term on many flights. A lot easier to wait until closer in before giving up the fare difference.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 21, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I got the option this past Monday LAS-SFO with alternatives given - perhaps they figure if you don't want to volunteer for a change - and the only options are for tomorrow anyone, offering you change for free is moot
The oversold options will only offer you same origin & destination. The "your flight is full" allows you to search for alternative airports both near your origin and your destination and is far more flexible.

-RM
SPN Lifer and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 26, 21, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

OK, the option is NOT gone. However, I can confirm it will not be presented if your flight is oversold and you don't make an offer for $/miles. Later in the afternoon as it got closer to my flight and several more coach seats opened up the flight was no longer oversold and when I attempted check-in via the mobile app I was presented with the "your flight is full" message. Unfortunately by that time the flight I wanted to change to had already departed from a closer airport. So I made my way to my original departure airport and got the only gate upgrade to boot.

Possibly a call to the 1K line would have gotten me on the other flight but at the end of the day I wasn't 100% convinced I wanted to switch airports.

-RM
Old Feb 27, 21, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Sounds like a programming "feature" where the one option doesn't show if the volunteer option shows...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: