FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New UA Bus Service from DEN to Fort Collins and Breckenridge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2034818-new-ua-bus-service-den-fort-collins-breckenridge.html)

EWR764 Feb 26, 2021 3:57 am

New UA Bus Service from DEN to Fort Collins and Breckenridge

United is partnering with a bus company to offer branded coach connections to/from DEN and downtown Breckenridge or Fort Collins airport (FNL).

Bus departures from DEN will be airside from A78 with baggage transfer, assigned seats and PQP-earning. The bus journey will be a segment in the PNR and cannot be purchased separately. Service to DEN will drop off landside for normal security and baggage check.

https://www.united.com/en-us/landline

Interesting concept and familiar to many of us, who have either used the ABE bus or United Groundlink in past lives...

Breck (QKB) starts 3/11 and FNL 4/1, and United claims it’s bookable now, but I can’t get the app or website to recognize my QKB entry.

RobOnLI Feb 26, 2021 6:07 am

It doesn't recognize Fort Collins or FNL either.

-RM

Repooc17 Feb 26, 2021 7:57 am

https://www.united.com/en-us/landline

We’ll board back to front

:D

EWR764 Feb 26, 2021 8:36 am

Looks like QKB and FNL are now active city codes for United's various applications, but only Breckenridge is currently bookable. Schedule appears to be one bus "flight" a day to start: 11:15am - 2:00pm DEN-QKB; 2:25pm - 4:55pm QKB-DEN. Most economy fares (including X) are loaded, with normal connect times on the DEN-QKB leg, and about 60-90 (scheduled) minutes for connections at DEN on the return from QKB.

Reportedly, boarding passes will be issued and bags will be checked at QKB, handled through to United at DEN, and the release says they are "working on" remote security screening, but that possibility seems more remote.

It's certainly something I would try.

tods27 Feb 26, 2021 10:46 am

I'm not surprised that they are starting once a day, but that can be self-defeating. It looks like the QKB-DEN is aimed at the late bank of flights from DEN, which can be problematic for eastbound flights (not everyone wants to get home from vacation at midnight). I could see a morning QKB-DEN being added as the first expansion. Given traffic on I-70 on Friday and Sunday afternoons, it will be interesting to see if they have issues with this in the first couple weeks. The demand will likely take a nosedive starting in mid-April due to mud season.

Lori_Q Feb 26, 2021 11:01 am

This is pretty useful! I used to fly FNL-DEN early in my consulting days (1994-1996). They discontinued the flights for various reasons. It sure was nice to be able to park right outside the terminal for free, then for $2/day later on.

Looks like they have multiple buses per day in each direction.

COSPILOT Feb 26, 2021 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Lori_Q (Post 33063651)
This is pretty useful! I used to fly FNL-DEN early in my consulting days (1994-1996). They discontinued the flights for various reasons. It sure was nice to be able to park right outside the terminal for free, then for $2/day later on.

Looks like they have multiple buses per day in each direction.

I see Fort Collins working well as that’s a relatively reliable drive via I25 and E470.

No so sure about Breck though...

st3 Feb 26, 2021 11:57 am

Seems like a smart and shrewd move. There are a bunch of companies that serve the front range skiers in busses but having it integrated with the airline for IRROPS and ticketing is a good move. While being able to go from the bus bypassing baggage claim is a boon, being able to pre-clear security will be the game changer.

SAPriorityTag Feb 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by st3 (Post 33063787)
being able to pre-clear security will be the game changer.

Not sure if regulations allow that. You do not get to pre-clear security at ABE.

SAP

lincolnjkc Feb 26, 2021 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by st3 (Post 33063787)
Seems like a smart and shrewd move. There are a bunch of companies that serve the front range skiers in busses but having it integrated with the airline for IRROPS and ticketing is a good move. While being able to go from the bus bypassing baggage claim is a boon, being able to pre-clear security will be the game changer.

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag (Post 33063873)
Not sure if regulations allow that. You do not get to pre-clear security at ABE.

SAP

Nope. Outstation-to-DEN you'll be dropped curbside for normal (DEN) security clearance and baggage checking.

You’ll check in for your shuttle and your flight at the same time, and we’ll load your bags on board for you. We’ll board back to front and give you a sanitizing wipe. When you arrive in Denver, we’ll unload your bags so you can check them, go through security and hop on your flight to your final destination.

Seats are automatically assigned after you check in, but if you’d like to change your seat, you can speak with a customer service representative and they’ll try to help you out.

I know what they meant, but am I the only one interpreting "try to help you out" as a CSR shrugging with a "I dunnaknow bout this bus thing. I work with planes" :)

st3 Feb 26, 2021 12:57 pm

RE: The pre-screening, it is not an advertised benefit but it sounds like they are working on it: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ection-denver/

Landline is working on adding remote security screening at its outstations so that you can arrive in Denver already pre-screened and ready to make your connecting flight.

MSPeconomist Feb 26, 2021 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 33063331)
Looks like QKB and FNL are now active city codes for United's various applications, but only Breckenridge is currently bookable. Schedule appears to be one bus "flight" a day to start: 11:15am - 2:00pm DEN-QKB; 2:25pm - 4:55pm QKB-DEN. Most economy fares (including X) are loaded, with normal connect times on the DEN-QKB leg, and about 60-90 (scheduled) minutes for connections at DEN on the return from QKB.

Reportedly, boarding passes will be issued and bags will be checked at QKB, handled through to United at DEN, and the release says they are "working on" remote security screening, but that possibility seems more remote.

It's certainly something I would try.

It's interesting that the trip TO DEN at rush hour is scheduled to be fifteen minutes faster.

People might not like the advanced screening if PreCheck, CLEAR, and elite lines aren't offered.

CIT85 Feb 26, 2021 1:14 pm

I'm curious about airfares to DEN vs to FNL with the bus. I would be very interested in FNL for 2H '21, if fares and car rental rates are reasonable.

dcsnowwake Feb 26, 2021 2:11 pm

SO where in Breck does it drop you off? It says downtown, but well, where exactly lol.

Ted Feb 26, 2021 2:43 pm

And then there is the question about if you can skip the first leg and just get on your flight in Denver?