Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated DEL logistics / connections / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OP Plat, SPG

Hello,

I am Premium Silver MileagePlus / Silver Star Alliance member. I am traveling with my wife and two kids (11 and 7) from Delhi to Munich to Houston.

I wanted to see if I can access the lounge in Delhi using 2 One-time United Club passes for being a member of Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa credit card.

I am willing to pay for lounge access during the 11-12 hours of layover in Delhi between domestic and international legs of flight.

Does anyone have any experience or tips?

Thank you
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drdomore
Hello,

I am Premium Silver MileagePlus / Silver Star Alliance member. I am traveling with my wife and two kids (11 and 7) from Delhi to Munich to Houston.

I wanted to see if I can access the lounge in Delhi using 2 One-time United Club passes for being a member of Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa credit card.

I am willing to pay for lounge access during the 11-12 hours of layover in Delhi between domestic and international legs of flight.

Does anyone have any experience or tips?

Thank you
The passes are only good at United Clubs and there is no United Club at Delhi.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are a couple Plaza Premium lounges in the terminal you can pay to enter. But even with a lounge 12 hours is a long time to spend in the airport.

I wonder if you could book a cheap room at a nearby hotel and relax at the pool for the afternoon before returning to the airport for the late flight.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by sbm12
I wonder if you could book a cheap room at a nearby hotel and relax at the pool for the afternoon before returning to the airport for the late flight.
I’ve recently visited the AI/LH/PP/AX lounges at DEL and concur that a cheap room at a nearby hotel is a far superior choice.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
second the hotel option -- there's a transit hotel, a holiday inn express, and if you want to go out, then plenty very near the airport as well.

Personally, I'd take the metro and go into Delhi. I imagine this is an afternoon/evening -- go into town, see a sight or two, have a good meal, and come back with plenty of time to spare. Delhi's a surprisingly good food city, as I discovered a couple of years ago.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OP Plat, SPG
Thanks everyone. We will look into taking the metro as our layover is during afternoon
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
The passenger is a 75-year old lady (UA Premier Platinum) that has requested assistance (on UA reservation) while transiting in DEL to BLR. She is an OCI flying this route: IAH-ORD-DEL-BLR.
Questions:
1) WIll she get a Vistara (UK) boarding pass when she checks-in at IAH?
2) Will the bags get tagged to BLR even though she has to collect in DEL and clear customs?
3) Will she just drop her bags in the transfer area to Vistara? Fear is if she does not get her UK BP
4) Assuming she has quarantine exemption paperwork with the COVID protocols in place in DEL is 1:55 hour enough?
5) Is AVML or HNML offered on ORD-DEL flight by UA? Because last I read was UA has removed all special meals, and the reservation on united.com states offers no special meals selection
6) I think there is another AI option (AI 504) that actually gives a 2:30 hours in DEL...will UA be able to give a boarding pass for AI 504 (DEL-BLR) while checking-in at origin (IAH)? I think having the BP is critical for her as she would be at ease and reduce unncessary anxiety

OCI is Overseas Citizen of India and she is a US passport holder

Last edited by surram; Feb 24, 2021 at 3:15 pm Reason: added another question; merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by surram
5) Is AVML or HNML offered on ORD-DEL flight by UA? Because last I read was UA has removed all special meals, and the reservation on united.com states offers no special meals selection ...
No special meals on that flight but there will be a vegetarian option.
surram likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:15 pm

1-4: Yes
5: There's a vegetarian option, but otherwise limited service (even in Polaris)
6: AI is *A, so yes

AI flies non-stop SFO-BLR, but maybe too late to rebook on that.

Questions re: DEL are better asked here
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
During non-Covid times at least, yes it would be plenty of time. Even when SARS/MERS were of concern in DEL, as long as I was on a single ticketed itinerary for international and domestic Indian segment, I would find 115 minutes more than sufficient almost always. The rare exception was if my checked baggage had a baggage handling irregularity issue -- and that's been like less than a 1-2% thing for me at DEL.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:40 pm

In the current COVID climate - I feel 1hr55 will not be enough at DEL.. (it may work out with some luck).
Please also see this thread
India's air bubbles: is transit travel allowed - Page 20 - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
In the current COVID climate - I feel 1hr55 will not be enough at DEL.. (it may work out with some luck).
Please also see this thread
India's air bubbles: is transit travel allowed - Page 20 - FlyerTalk Forums
Is there any specific post(s) in the linked thread which may be relevant?

Assuming the flight arrives into DEL on time, and the pax has all documentation in order, why would 2 hours not be sufficient for transfer within the same terminal?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: hahaha
What lounges are open for my upcoming DEL-EWR trip?

Do Polaris passengers get sent to the Plaza Premium lounge?

Since I'm not travelling in Polaris, does that mean I can only use the Air India lounge as a non-UA *G member?
Old May 17, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Originally Posted by asovse1
What lounges are open for my upcoming DEL-EWR trip?

Do Polaris passengers get sent to the Plaza Premium lounge?

Since I'm not travelling in Polaris, does that mean I can only use the Air India lounge as a non-UA *G member?
you should be able to use LH, Singapore and Air India lounges as *G in addition to the Plaza Premium.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by akhibhag
you should be able to use LH, Singapore ....
in DEL. those have openned?
Not showing up on the airline websites or *A lounge finder

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2022 at 9:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.