Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by EWR764
Probably. I am hearing United is planning for the entire PW 777 fleet to be out of service for all of March, and potentially longer, depending on what the inspections reveal. HNL is always a key cargo market and is also seeing stronger pax demand than the rest of the system. For that reason I would expect to continue to see widebodies on DEN-HNL, and by virtue of the grounding of the domestic 777s, all will be in the international configuration.
From United 777 plane flew fewer than half the flights allowed between checks: sources | Reuters:

"Each engine has 22 blades that must be removed individually and each will take eight hours to inspect, FAA Administrator Steve Dickson told Bloomberg TV on Wednesday.

That is the equivalent of 352 hours of work per plane, as each 777 has two engines. Boeing said 69 of the planes were in active service before Saturday’s incident, while 59 had been grounded amid low demand during the pandemic."
(emphasis mine)

Ouch.
cesco.g and EWR764 like this.

Last edited by legalalien; Feb 25, 2021 at 9:34 am
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
The IAD-LAX citypair previously scheduled on a 772HD / 28 J-seats for 4 March going forward is gone as well. It is now an A320.
Originally Posted by SS255
My flight to IAD next Thursday is still showing a 777-200, but zero’ s out in F. My Magic 8 Ball said “Ask again later” to my question of “Upgauge or downgauge?”
I am in a similar situation. They might plug in the 788/9 which was operating on that city pair a couple months ago. Often it was a 788 coming in from ZRH, proceeding onto LAX and return to IAD next morning.
Originally Posted by LouieBOS
I booked the 772 yesterday specifically for the beds on 3/19 and 3/27 IAD-LAX. I hope they're either back in service or equivalent swap is made. A 739 would be a disappointment.
Same thing for LAX-IAD in the other direction. I saw that 17 seats were taken up front on the seat map before the swap. I suspect there will be some very surprised individuals at check-in time. Thankfully my F seat was preserved.
My 3/19 and 3/27 IAD-LAX 772 has officially been swapped to 752. Still lie-flat, but was hoping for a polaris seat. Ah well.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Overnight my 3/6 SFO-OGG was canceled and I got an email . Very odd no rebooking or anything?!
it was a Polaris 777 all along since I booked it last month , now I see a 767 Polaris at 710pm which is new on the schedule. Things seem very “fluid” at the moment
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Overnight my 3/6 SFO-OGG was canceled and I got an email . Very odd no rebooking or anything?!
it was a Polaris 777 all along since I booked it last month , now I see a 767 Polaris at 710pm which is new on the schedule. Things seem very “fluid” at the moment
Odd. We're still booked on UA1273 that day. Checking EF now . . .

I see UA1273 (772) at 11:15 am and UA 749 (763) at 7:10 pm.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Odd. We're still booked on that UA1273 that day. Checking EF now . . .

I see UA1273 (772) at 11:15 am and UA 749 (763) at 7:10 pm.
Maybe someone read my wish for some 46J action out of SFO and filed it in the system
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaks to a conservative preventive process at United maintenance!

Same thing for LAX-IAD in the other direction. I saw that 17 seats were taken up front on the seat map before the swap. I suspect there will be some very surprised individuals at check-in time. Thankfully my F seat was preserved.
Originally Posted by LouieBOS
My 3/19 and 3/27 IAD-LAX 772 has officially been swapped to 752. Still lie-flat, but was hoping for a polaris seat. Ah well.
As of 3/14 the A320 changes to the 752 and stays like that thru the end of March. Up to then a connection thru EWR can preserve the lie-flat experience.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 25, 2021 at 11:12 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bikenski
Some strange things appearing on the OGG-DEN schedule that lead me to believe the "musical planes" exercise to cover for the grounded HD 777s isn't finished yet.

For example, March 14 is currently showing and selling both a 772 in Polaris config *and* a 752 flight an hour later.

Perhaps the back end systems were tripped up by the beginning of Daylight Savings Time? Unless there's an orphaned aircraft that needs to get back to DEN, the current demand certainly doesn't require that many seats.
Expect some flights added to the schedule to cover for the capacity lost when a 360-seater is replaced by a 276-seater (or smaller). Hawaii flights have been filling up, especially as we move closer to Spring Break season.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Expect some flights added to the schedule to cover for the capacity lost when a 360-seater is replaced by a 276-seater (or smaller). Hawaii flights have been filling up, especially as we move closer to Spring Break season.
They must not be coming to Honolulu - random spring dates I've looked show a lot of wide open flights and cheap prices. I can't see hotel occupancy getting above 50% anytime soon with the testing restrictions (running 20-25% currently)
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
They must not be coming to Honolulu - random spring dates I've looked show a lot of wide open flights and cheap prices. I can't see hotel occupancy getting above 50% anytime soon with the testing restrictions (running 20-25% currently)
Capacity is substantially lower than in years past, but load factors are comparatively higher than plenty of other markets in the system. The flights that operate, especially on peak tourist days, will be busy.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:23 pm

Aircraft changes have hit the schedule for Hawaii flights for the spring break time period. SFO-HNL and v.v. - one of the flights changed from a HD 777 to a Polarized 777. Another flight changed to a 788, and it seems to vary by day. I wonder if this schedule is now stable for less than one month out, or if we'll see more changes.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Danski
.... I wonder if this schedule is now stable for less than one month out, or if we'll see more changes.
As we are still seeing daily changes, don't believe the word stable is yet applicable. Perhaps with a week of little change and than stable as stable is during these times allow.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Speaks to a conservative preventive process at United maintenance!

As of 3/14 the A320 changes to the 752 and stays like that thru the end of March. Up to then a connection thru EWR can preserve the lie-flat experience.
My final destination is AVP, so switching to LAX-EWR-IAD is off the table. I’m still hoping that the 320 will switch to another aircraft type with lie-flats. Wishful thinking, I know.

At least I will get a better lounge experience at IAD, courtesy of *G and/or Priority Pass.
cesco.g, narvik and am1108 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
i would take the 777-200’s over a 737 anyday! Hopefully they continue flying another 10 years!
I'd take a single-engine 777 over a 737!
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PenaltyBox
I'd take a single-engine 777 over a 737!
You would not get very far as you would be looking to land as soon as possible
Old Feb 26, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Now I have to wonder whether the WiFi came on at 10 kft AGL or MSL, as the flight was in between.
Or the poster could have gotten cell service as some point in the descent. I remember many years ago, I had a two-way pager, which I forgot to turn off, on a flight into EWR it started going berserk about 5 minutes before touch down. Turns out we had a serious work issue and lots of people were trying to get ahold of me. Fortunately I had it on vibrate only, so nobody, but me was aware of it, but it buzzed all the way till we made it to the gate and had about 20 texts from several levels of management.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.