Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Well - if they could fly those planes from ORD to HNL - they'd certainly make it to LHR or even CDG, which are shorter distances. Or, deploy them from EWR or IAD and they could fly anywhere in Europe.
There's really no point in have a subfleet that can fly some routine TATL routes but not all. FRA is a longer route than HNL from ORD and FCO is much longer than that. If you can't have interoperability then you've hamstrung your airline.

If fact, this was the big self-imposed handicap of pmUA. Save a few bucks on some A/C and end up with frames that couldn't fly some needed routes.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There's really no point in have a subfleet that can fly some routine TATL routes but not all.
That's a ridiculous notion. Airlines regularly fit mission to equipment. The use of 752s TATL is a perfect example. And "subfleets" with different ranges are ubiquitous throughout the airline industry. Witness the different versions of the 737, or even more, the A319/20/21.

Under your "logic," no international airline would fly anything but 788/9s or, even better, 350ULRs (noting that SQ's 350ULRs constitute a "subfleet" that under your theory should not even exist).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In many ways a TATL subfleet would be great as it would allow UA to base one plane in, say, FRA and let it be the backup for mechanical issues. But the reality is that this would be considered too extravagant. As it is, LHR sees so many different UA types per day, and that's just one airport. FR does a good job of keeping complete interoperability but I can't think of any significant long haul airline which has just one type for it's longhaul fleet.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a ridiculous notion. Airlines regularly fit mission to equipment. The use of 752s TATL is a perfect example. And "subfleets" with different ranges are ubiquitous throughout the airline industry. Witness the different versions of the 737, or even more, the A319/20/21.

Under your "logic," no international airline would fly anything but 788/9s or, even better, 350ULRs (noting that SQ's 350ULRs constitute a "subfleet" that under your theory should not even exist).
I think you missed my point which is probably my fault. For each aircraft, such as a 772, 789, A320, etc., it doesn't make sense to have multiple operational capabilities within that type. If UA needs a 772, for example, to operate on ORD-FRA, ORD-HND, SFO-PVG... or name any other route where a 772 is used, it doesn't make sense for only some of the 772 fleet to be able to operate on all of the 772 routes. It creates nightmares for aircraft assignment not to mention juggling when thing don't go perfectly. In fact, UA has already given an example of this when they got rid of all of the 752s that couldn't operate to the UK. I suspect the short range HD will be the first to leave the 772 fleet for this very reason so why spend to Polarize them?

Last edited by JimInOhio; Mar 6, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
If UA needs a 772, for example, to operate on ORD-FRA, ORD-HND, SFO-PVG... or name any other route where a 772 is used, it doesn't make sense for only some of the 772 fleet to be able to operate on all of the 772 routes. It creates nightmares for aircraft assignment not to mention juggling when thing don't go perfectly.
Well ... UA have recently added a subfleet of 763s, the High-J configuration. While I'm not sure there is a difference in range between 30J and 46J versions, the sheer number of J-Y and PE-Y downgrades makes eqp swap just as much of a nightmare.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien
Well ... UA have recently added a subfleet of 763s, the High-J configuration. While I'm not sure there is a difference in range between 30J and 46J versions, the sheer number of J-Y and PE-Y downgrades makes eqp swap just as much of a nightmare.
AFAIK, all of the 763 aircraft can technically operate on the same routes. To an airline, seating configurations are secondary to this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The worst thing about those a/c is lack of PremiumPlus and no upgrade means a seat in 10-across in back. If I was to lose out on an upgrade on the HD, I'd rather be in back on any of UA's mainline narrow bodies.
It’s a difficult upgrade as well with that J/Y ratio. I’ve only booked on it in Y if I know I can get an aisle/window in the first row of E+, and even then it’s not an easy decision.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I think you missed my point which is probably my fault. For each aircraft, such as a 772, 789, A320, etc., it doesn't make sense to have multiple operational capabilities within that type. If UA needs a 772, for example, to operate on ORD-FRA, ORD-HND, SFO-PVG... or name any other route where a 772 is used, it doesn't make sense for only some of the 772 fleet to be able to operate on all of the 772 routes. It creates nightmares for aircraft assignment not to mention juggling when thing don't go perfectly. In fact, UA has already given an example of this when they got rid of all of the 752s that couldn't operate to the UK. I suspect the short range HD will be the first to leave the 772 fleet for this very reason so why spend to Polarize them?
These planes are not that short of range. You don't bother with a polarized P&W in ORD or SFO - they'd be a good fit for EWR or IAD and could fly nearly anywhere in continental Europe.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Did the HD every fly ORD-HNL? Seems like that would push the range with headwinds.
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, and yes it was at the limit for range.
You know there are 6 of these 772 non ER that PMUA originally ordered specifically just to use it on ORD-HNL-SFO-ORD that delivered back in 2000 (even at delivery it was already with no PTV to begin with to lighten the weight, 2-2-2 in F in standard domestic F seats just like on narrowbody, and 2-5-2 in Y), if they are really pushing the range with headwinds, or at the limit for range, UA would have ordered the ER version instead, these 6 birds (2510-2515) were originally called XA
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
U.S. FAA finalizes Boeing 777 safety directives after fan blade failures Reuters) - The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said on Wednesday it is finalizing three safety directives for some grounded Boeing 777 planes with Pratt & Whitney 4000 engines that will allow them to return to service.

... The directives will be effective in mid-April.

.... United, which is the only U.S. operator of 777s with the PW4000 engine and has 52 of those planes, said the step "is a good and safe outcome for our industry and United customers."

The airline said "many of the affected engines have already undergone these proposed modifications. We expect these aircraft to resume flying customers again soon."

Boeing must now develop a service bulletin laying out steps airlines must take to meet requirements. FAA must approve that bulletin before the planes can return to service.
mid-April??
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond, Avis PC
I saw that article. I’m flying MCI EWR ATH with spouse and #4 for PlusPoints upgrade. Athens flights EWR ATH 78X and especially IAD ATH 788 look much more heavily booked than say flights to LHR FRA MUC CDG.

I’m hoping EWR ATH up gauge to 772 and maybe IAD ATH, or at least IAD ATH 78X. We are looking at going out a day early as our connect time was cut by an hour to 43 minutes with an on time stat of 81%, but Polaris and PP are tight

Not sure how the fuel price situation will impact thoughts of upgauging.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
From Aviation Week & Space Technology, subscription required, brief quotes:

FAA Finalizes Steps For Pratt-Powered 777 Service ReturnSean Broderick March 10, 2022WASHINGTON—The FAA has finalized rules mandating inspections and modifications for Pratt & Whitney-powered Boeing 777s, completing a year-long process to develop fixes that address issues spotlighted in three engine failures and get grounded aircraft back into service.

Airworthiness directives (ADs) set for publication in the Federal Register by March 11 spell out new fan blade inspection protocols as well as engine nacelle modifications and inspections. The protocols follow proposed steps developed during the last year by Boeing, Pratt and the FAA, and outlined in late December 2021 draft directives....

.....The global fleet of Pratt-powered 777s totaled about 130 when the grounding occurred following the February 2021 event. Many of them—52—are with United Airlines. The U.S. carrier plans to work its Pratt-powered 777s back into its network right away, while several operators have accelerated plans to retire their affected airframes.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I just booked a trip to go visit family in Hawaii this summer. I held off for a couple weeks hoping things would change but it looks like the 2-4-2 configured 777s are back for DEN-HNL. The only aisle seats left up front for my return flight were in the 4-seater center section.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by MCIksguy
I saw that article. I’m flying MCI EWR ATH with spouse and #4 for PlusPoints upgrade. Athens flights EWR ATH 78X and especially IAD ATH 788 look much more heavily booked than say flights to LHR FRA MUC CDG.

I’m hoping EWR ATH up gauge to 772 and maybe IAD ATH, or at least IAD ATH 78X. We are looking at going out a day early as our connect time was cut by an hour to 43 minutes with an on time stat of 81%, but Polaris and PP are tight

Not sure how the fuel price situation will impact thoughts of upgauging.

EWR-ATH is showing an up gauge to a 78X this summer which I'll take over a 772 most every day....was a 764 at booking...so that's a huge score!!
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I just booked a trip to go visit family in Hawaii this summer. I held off for a couple weeks hoping things would change but it looks like the 2-4-2 configured 777s are back for DEN-HNL. The only aisle seats left up front for my return flight were in the 4-seater center section.
That 2-4-2 may or may not happen. They’ve been constantly updating the schedule to polarized GE powered 777-200 or 777-300.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.