Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I also don't see any "premium" for lie flat vs non lie flat
While the fares by booking class for lie-flat and non-lie-flat flights/aircraft are identical, the lie-flat flights could have been sold out of lower fare buckets on OP's dates, forcing them to buy a higher fare bucket and thus pay a higher fare; or the OP could have been comparing UA fares to fares on other airlines that serve OGG-SFO using non-lie-flat aircraft (e.g., HA).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by arjaok
... I swear United must now actively hate their customers or something. This is nuts. Cancelled the whole route and rebooked her on AA and Delta. If I didn't have a boatload of UA miles I'd be gone. Of course, I never got any sort of apology for any of it. .....
You will be finding just as many schedule changes on AA and DL

From airliners.net (640 changes AA, 430 DL CHanges)that weekend
OAG Changes 2/16/2021:AA Add PHX-ACV/BZN/CID/IDA,CLTAZS,DFWIDA,LAX-DRO/MSO,MIA-PBM/TLV;NK +CAKMYR;UA Cut HAV,Add HNLSNA

(430 DL changes, 70 AA changes )
OAG Changes 2/23/2021:AA In BOS-CMH/TVC,JFK-BOG/CLO/MDE/SCL/SNA,LGA-MCI/MYR/PNS;SY DFWSNA;UA In DENTWF,IADLWB,Out ORDOGS

(roughly 40 changes for DL & AA)
OAG Changes 3/2/2021:AA+ORD-BIL/FAT/GEG/ONT/SBA; B6+BOI,LGADEN,EWR-ACK/ANU/BQN/MVY/POP/SEA/STT/UVF; DL+CNY/DRO/LNK

This past weekend it was UA's turn for a big set of changes

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2021 at 1:03 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will be finding just as many schedule changes on AA and DL
This past weekend it was UA's turn for a big set of changes
That's right. I am Platinum Delta, Platinum American, 1K United. All of them have pros/cons, which is why I use all three. Ditto for hotel chains, car rental companies, credit cards, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:25 am
Suspended

From what I can tell there are 2 flights per day OGG-SFO that are lie flat (a 767 and 777) - and they all seem wide open - you get a free change, why not switch to one of those flights.

I also don't see any "premium" for lie flat vs non lie flat
As I said, I couldn't switch flights because I needed to be home that day. The only other options were a 737. But I guess just use a totally different day as an example...?

Also, just because you don't see a premium for your search for a different day doesn't mean there wasn't one in my situation. Why reach so much to defend United when you don't know what you're talking about?

Last edited by arjaok; Mar 9, 2021 at 11:13 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA still has them in the schedule for early April, which sure seemed optimistic to me. Those who buy tickets on the routes they're still assigned to will be buying into a high level of uncertainty.
I was surprised to get notification of a schedule change for my 7/8/21 SFO-CDG; all direct flights to Paris for July appear to have been cancelled. Looking into it further, looks like everything flying into FRA is now a 787? And... at least half of the TATLs aren't showing seat maps. Is this all 777 fallout? Lasting all the way into mid-summer?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I was surprised to get notification of a schedule change for my 7/8/21 SFO-CDG; all direct flights to Paris for July appear to have been cancelled. Looking into it further, looks like everything flying into FRA is now a 787? And... at least half of the TATLs aren't showing seat maps. Is this all 777 fallout? Lasting all the way into mid-summer?
I dont think UA or any airline expects regular flying to Europe this summer from the US.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I dont think UA or any airline expects regular flying to Europe this summer from the US.
I get that, but the direct SFO-CDG flights were added back in not that long ago. And again, it's the 777 that's MIA. Here's hoping that things are close enough to normal, tolerable at least, that by July people from the US with proof of vaccination can do at least a bit of travel in Europe!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Is this all 777 fallout? Lasting all the way into mid-summer?
It's possible there's been some shifting of aircraft assignments due to the PW issue, but the cancellations (and possibly the downgauges) are undoubtedly due to lack of bookings and anticipated demand. The pattern of cancels 2-3 months out has been the norm since the pandemic started.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's possible there's been some shifting of aircraft assignments due to the PW issue, but the cancellations (and possibly the downgauges) are undoubtedly due to lack of bookings and anticipated demand. The pattern of cancels 2-3 months out has been the norm since the pandemic started.
Agreed, I've had to rebook my May flight back home to Syd 3x now due to schedule changes that have been 3-6 months out
Some of it has been domestic cancellations causing a miss connect and also they canned the IAH->SYD flight which I had originally booked on

RE the PW777, does UA have any 788/789 or other 777 sitting in storage at the moment? if so I would hazzard a guess that if UA actually needed any frames they would pull them out
Otherwise just temp lease some 777 sitting in the desert from any of 20+ other airlines... (I would be amused to fly a united operated QF body)
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
... RE the PW777, does UA have any 788/789 or other 777 sitting in storage at the moment? if so I would hazzard a guess that if UA actually needed any frames they would pull them out
Otherwise just temp lease some 777 sitting in the desert from any of 20+ other airlines... (I would be amused to fly a united operated QF body)
Yes UA has aircraft parked but that (or leasing) is not a quick reaction solution.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
RE the PW777, does UA have any 788/789 or other 777 sitting in storage at the moment? if so I would hazzard a guess that if UA actually needed any frames they would pull them out
All of the 787s and 77Ws are in active service, though some are in maintenance/mod and not all fly every day. Aside from the PW 777s, 9/22 GE-powered 772s are in long-term storage, with the rest in service or maintenance.

No chance on UA operating any other airlines' metal. UA has plenty of lift parked in the desert, and there is a great deal of regulatory work and training that would go into UA operating another carrier's parked airplanes. Conversely, there are scope limitations that essentially preclude other airlines operating mainline-category airplanes for UAL on a wet lease/ACMI basis.
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by EWR764
Aside from the PW 777s, 9/22 GE-powered 772s are in long-term storage, with the rest in service or maintenance.
Does it make sense to bring those nine aircraft out of storage?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I suspect that isn't an easy yes/no question. Likely requires a lot of number crunching on the financial cost to bring them out of storage - current aircraft utilization - forecasted travel demand - forecast of when the PW 777's come back into service, etc.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Seems like it does, as we are now down to 8 in long-term storage/heavy mx. N76021 landed in IAD from ROW a few hours ago for service re-entry prep.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by EWR764
Seems like it does, as we are now down to 8 in long-term storage/heavy mx. N76021 landed in IAD from ROW a few hours ago for service re-entry prep.
How are these birds configured? Polaris? 3-4-3 or 3-3-3 in Economy?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.