Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA investigating disclosure of prominent customer's flight info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA investigating disclosure of prominent customer's flight info

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Shockingly, the disclosure here does not appear to be covered by UA's policy.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng_information
...this Privacy Policy is not a contract nor does it otherwise create any legal rights or obligations. Rather, this Privacy Policy merely reflects guidelines setting forth United’s intended business practices.
By it’s own admission, the Privacy Policy “is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules”.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by kale73
By it’s own admission, the Privacy Policy “is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules”.
I can assure you that the ethics training that all of us undergo is very clear that we can not share passenger information, even with other employees, without going through proper approval channels.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
I am not sure if UA can see who *accessed* a PNR. Changes made to a record are documented with an agent sine, but I don't believe there is a record of queries.
Give how IBM licenses mainframe software, I wouldn't be shocked if they tracked record accesses.... if for no other reason than to figure out who's consuming CICS transactions!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kale73
That is meaningless language put in place to minimize liability. It might be slightly helpful to UA in a lawsuit seeking money damages -- stress "might" -- but not for the employee who violates it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Give how IBM licenses mainframe software, I wouldn't be shocked if they tracked record accesses.... if for no other reason than to figure out who's consuming CICS transactions!
That's great, but I think SHARES runs on HPUX :-D
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I can assure you that the ethics training that all of us undergo is very clear that we can not share passenger information, even with other employees, without going through proper approval channels.
And I think the vast, vast majority of time employees are, if anything, overly cautious about it. Every time a UA employee has taken a selfie with me (for Twitter or other purposes) I've been asked at least 3 times if it's OK to take the picture, if its OK to post the picture, if I'm sure it's OK to post the picture etc. Next time it happens I wouldn't be at all surprised if they pull out a waiver/release.

When I've called to fix my wife's reservations (we kept our respective surnames...aside from the "what's the point" factor we figured with all the trouble I've had with a hyphenated last name from birth doing a double hyphenation would just be inviting problems) you can tell the agent's hesitancy goes up just as does the number of verification questions I'm asked.

But for 100 great employees there's bound to be one that doesn't realize the potential sensitivity of a traveler's travel plans (ignore the true VIP/celeb/public figure but imagine an exec negotiating a sensitive business transaction, or someone with a crazy ex/stalker, or...)
SPN Lifer, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
And I think the vast, vast majority of time employees are, if anything, overly cautious about it. Every time a UA employee has taken a selfie with me (for Twitter or other purposes) I've been asked at least 3 times if it's OK to take the picture, if its OK to post the picture, if I'm sure it's OK to post the picture etc. Next time it happens I wouldn't be at all surprised if they pull out a waiver/release.

When I've called to fix my wife's reservations (we kept our respective surnames...aside from the "what's the point" factor we figured with all the trouble I've had with a hyphenated last name from birth doing a double hyphenation would just be inviting problems) you can tell the agent's hesitancy goes up just as does the number of verification questions I'm asked.

But for 100 great employees there's bound to be one that doesn't realize the potential sensitivity of a traveler's travel plans (ignore the true VIP/celeb/public figure but imagine an exec negotiating a sensitive business transaction, or someone with a crazy ex/stalker, or...)
Someone traveling to interview for a new job could be extremely sensitive information for the individuals and companies involved.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are all kinds of reasons why a person might not want their data disclosed. It is not for UA to determine whether those are good or bad reasons.

In fact, there are many people who simply do not want their data disclosed because they value their privacy even though nobody really cares. That is their prerogative and UA has agreed to honor that prerogative.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
That is meaningless language put in place to minimize liability. It might be slightly helpful to UA in a lawsuit seeking money damages -- stress "might" -- but not for the employee who violates it.
Yes. That’s obvious. Thanks for pointing it out, though.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Unclear what if anything was disclosed. He was repeatedly photographed on smartphones and upgrade list is public.
its very obviously spelled out in the story what was disclosed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If an agent or agents leaked to a third party like a family member or friend, or even to another employee of United, then that agent or agents should be fired.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2021 at 8:11 pm Reason: Removed response to deleted comment
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
If an agent or agents leaked to a third party like a family member or friend, or even to another employee of United, then that agent or agents should be fired.
Discipline of some sort? Yes, but firing is going too far, especially if the employee has no history of private information sharing.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
its very obviously spelled out in the story what was disclosed.
Except it isn't - his name started to appear on a publicly available upgrade list. As soon as Cruz changed his flight - anyone could see he was on that flight - no source at United needed to tell anyone that - quite frankly, the travel blogger, in my opinion - is just puffing himself up by saying he had a UA source when he probably just saw it on the upgrade list.
GUWonder and Miggles like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: UA MM
Except it isn't - his name started to appear on a publicly available upgrade list. As soon as Cruz changed his flight - anyone could see he was on that flight - no source at United needed to tell anyone that - quite frankly, the travel blogger, in my opinion - is just puffing himself up by saying he had a UA source when he probably just saw it on the upgrade list.
Isn't it a little tough to conclude who a passenger is from the upgrade list? Very few showing as SMI/J are actually Jeff Smisek.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Exactly. As soon as it became known Wednesday night that he flew IAH-CUN, people like us could've been monitoring every CUN-IAH flight's upgrade list far into the future (remember the mobile app can be fooled by a changed clock).

If CRU, R was a smart UA Premier flyer, he could (1) buy F/J, (2) fly through ORD or other UA hubs where people aren't monitoring, (3) just fly another airline. Or he should've just vacationed in Hawaii (no CPU on IAH-HNL). But he just changed his flight, and because it took time to get through COVID testing, gave enough time for cameras to be readied at CUN, and of course IAH.
Miggles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.