UA Mainland-Hawaii Lie-Flats

Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
UA Mainland-Hawaii Lie-Flats

Hi, I've been trying to figure out lie-flat options for an upcoming trip to Hawaii. We will be departing from SFO to Kauai and Maui. UA MP Platinum member. Current options:

SFO-LIH -- 757 2-2 Business Config
OGG-SFO -- 777 1-2-1 Business Config (New Polaris)

1. Are these the best options out there to Hawaii for UA members?
2. Is it safe to assume the 757 seats are the old Polaris product given their configurations? Is there a better way to verify this?
3. Since this is a domestic flight, even though its a business ticket, I will not be permitted into the SFO Polaris Lounge correct?
4. Would Platinum get CPU for both legs? Or is it safer to use cash or points to upgrade?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:03 pm

1. Probably for now depending on when your trip is.
2. Yes. The 757s are not slated to get upgraded.
3. No lounge access.
4. SFO-Hawaii are CPU eligible routes. Chances depend on when your trip is.
bomberman92 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bomberman92

For OGG-SFO definitely - since it's new Polaris on a 777 - you can't do better with that.
For SFO-LIH also yes - I'm assuming you're referring to the 752 - it is the ONLY (not just UA, but any airline, I think) lie flat you will get on the LIH route. If it's a 753, then it's not lie flat. Airlines usually don't fly wide body into LIH.

I would however be on the look out for equipment swaps.
bomberman92 likes this.

Last edited by kevflyer; Feb 17, 2021 at 7:41 pm
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Yes. And it can only get worse.

2. Is it safe to assume the 757 seats are the old Polaris product given their configurations? Is there a better way to verify this?
Using the word "old" is incorrect, but should be "pre" instead. Before the Polaris was introduced, there are 2 kinds of BF seats - pmUA and pmCO, which both seats are still in service. And ironically, they can still be classified as "Polaris" seats when applicable.

UA's B752 uses pmCO lie-flat, as they are primarily used for p.s. and TATL routes.

4. Would Platinum get CPU for both legs? Or is it safer to use cash or points to upgrade?
Before COVID-19, Cash or PP upgrade was the safe bet. Now, you may be lucky.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 18, 2021 at 11:59 am Reason: split post
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Amazing, thank you all for the help!
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moved the Polaris Lounge access discussion to Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread, as it got far afield from a simple trip to Hawaii, which would not be eligible for PLs if they were open

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevflyer
I would however be on the look out for equipment swaps.
Is there a set cadence as to when equipment swaps occur (i.e max14 days before departure)?

I'm seeing SFO-OGG 777 flights in March that have the new Polaris product vs. April with the previous 777 2-4-2 configs. I'm curious if March was an equipment swap (which would mean that April could potentially get swapped to these planes as well).
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is there a set cadence as to when equipment swaps occur (i.e max14 days before departure)?....
The most cardinal time is 48060 hours prior to departure but changes change later especially if there are irrops / mechanical issues. As you get closure, what is typically used is a good indicator BUT not a guarantee
There is no price premium nor guarantee on aircraft used for Hawaii
bomberman92 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a set cadence as to when equipment swaps occur (i.e max14 days before departure)?

I'm seeing SFO-OGG 777 flights in March that have the new Polaris product vs. April with the previous 777 2-4-2 configs. I'm curious if March was an equipment swap (which would mean that April could potentially get swapped to these planes as well).
April is still on a placeholder schedule, so I would largely disregard aircraft type in April for now, and wait until they load the real schedule sometime in late February/early March to book if you care about equipment type. While closer-in and last-minute swaps can still occur after the real schedule is loaded, the odds of that happening are somewhat lower than a swap from the placeholder to the real schedule, which is almost guaranteed.

FWIW, SFO-OGG has had three daily flights since about Thanksgiving, and the 11am ex-SFO and 10am ex-OGG have been on a Polaris 777 for the months of December, February, and March. January was 3x 738. If I had to make an educated guess, I would not expect the Polaris 777 to continue past March, as post-spring break is traditionally a low season for Hawaii tourism, and the large J (or Y) cabin will not be needed.
bomberman92 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
With Covid, there is little to be predicted on what plane is going to take you. Yes, they have been running 77w and and 1-2-1 777s, but they could easily go back to the older 777s that have more jammed, 8 across Business. The demand is growing on the SFO-OGG route...they have 3 flights a day (4 previously) in March...2 777s and one 738. That could change as demand builds elsewhere and the 77w go back to their international routes.

Its only a 5 hour flight...
bomberman92 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:01 pm

Because of this thread, I realized they have been running Polaris 777's on LAX-HNL recently. Any thoughts on that? (I know crap shoot, but I'm planning an April trip and I'd even be happy with the premium economy seat.)
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: United currently plat
So they were running Polaris 772s to OGG even before the engine incident on Saturday??

What gives!? does Maui pull in more premium passengers than O‘ahu??

Anyway, i for one really enjoyed my Polaris seat HNL-SFO on the 788 today, I won’t mind if they take their sweet time inspecting all these engines.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2021 at 10:29 pm Reason: never mind
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by evol
What gives!? does Maui pull in more premium passengers than O‘ahu??
Yep. Compared hotel prices on the two islands lately?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. Compared hotel prices on the two islands lately?
I have not! Still surprised that premium merits a Polaris product. A quick comparison of the 2 city pairs shows the fares in Z about the same.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by evol
I have not! Still surprised that premium merits a Polaris product. A quick comparison of the 2 city pairs shows the fares in Z about the same.
The Polaris aircraft have larger J cabins, and I'm guessing they're selling more J seats to OGG (my 3/6 flight is booked full already). But aircraft assignment can involve a bunch of different factors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.