UA Mainland-Hawaii Lie-Flats

Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Polaris aircraft have larger J cabins, and I'm guessing they're selling more J seats to OGG (my 3/6 flight is booked full already).
This, especially on Fridays-Mondays. I've seen HNL flights on those days go out with empty F seats even after clearing the entire upgrade list (including nonrevs), but OGG flights are almost always fully booked up front, sometimes well in advance of the CPU windows. Midweek flights still seem to be decent to excellent bets for CPUs, however.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by evol
I have not! Still surprised that premium merits a Polaris product. A quick comparison of the 2 city pairs shows the fares in Z about the same.
A lot of people connect in Honolulu to/from outer islands, especially off of non-West Coast flights. Maui has always been much more expensive than Oahu. Stats for January 2021 (numbers versus 1 year ago). Wailea area managed to raise rates even with miserable occupancy numbers. I've always thought UA could run a high J Polaris 763 between SFO and Maui on Saturdays and do pretty good $-wise up front.
SPN Lifer and kevflyer like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A lot of people connect in Honolulu to/from outer islands, especially off of non-West Coast flights. Maui has always been much more expensive than Oahu. Stats for January 2021 (numbers versus 1 year ago). Wailea area managed to raise rates even with miserable occupancy numbers. I've always thought UA could run a high J Polaris 763 between SFO and Maui on Saturdays and do pretty good $-wise up front.
What is particularly dismal about the January numbers regarding occupancy is Jan 1-3 was relatively busy. The next bump might be Spring Break. Kauai isn't even bothering to open itself until at least late May.
SPN Lifer and kevflyer like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What jumped out at me was ADR in Wailea of $807. That's a demographic that will pay for lie-flat J (when not flying private).
evol likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
What jumped out at me was ADR in Wailea of $807.
With a RevPAR of $153 - they are losing massive amounts of money.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Right, but they're holding the line on rates despite a huge drop in demand.

I can confirm based on recent booking experience. Most properties at least $700/night.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:51 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Lie flat seats to Hawaii

Appears UA is the only one offering lie flats in J for the SFO-HNL flight.

Flights between SFO or SJC and other Hawaiian airports are "standard recliners" across all airlines?

So do people here fly to/from Hawaii strictly through HNL or do open-leg because the additional transit to/from HNL isn't worth it just for lie flat seats. Have they put in Polaris seats on these flights?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by exp
Flights between SFO or SJC and other Hawaiian airports are "standard recliners" across all airlines?
Pretty much.

Originally Posted by exp
Have they put in Polaris seats on these flights?
No, and I doubt they ever will. It wouldn't be profitable (or at least not as profitable as Polaris routes).
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:52 pm
exp
Suspended

Another oddity of the schedule. There's a UA1111 which is a 757 with lie flats, direct SFO-LIH. But around the end of May or early June, that fight stops and there are two flights a day but neither of them have LF. One of them is a 737 in fact.

Why wouldn't they continue to run the 757 with the LF in the summer?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by exp
Another oddity of the schedule. There's a UA1111 which is a 757 with lie flats, direct SFO-LIH. But around the end of May or early June, that fight stops and there are two flights a day but neither of them have LF. One of them is a 737 in fact.

No updates have been made yet past June 2.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:13 pm
exp
Suspended

So anything beyond June 2 is shaky?

If I book beyond June 2, which is more likely, equipment and schedule change or cancellation?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exp
.... If I book beyond June 2, which is more likely, equipment and schedule change or cancellation?
Whatever is most similar to May would be a good starting point
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Pretty much.

No, and I doubt they ever will. It wouldn't be profitable (or at least not as profitable as Polaris routes).

There's a ton of Polaris seat options into the islands this summer, with new routes like ORD-KOA with both Polaris and Premium Economy cabins selling. The bigger question is whether or not Polaris will continue to fly to Hawaii when international service returns.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by exp
p.s.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:57 pm
exp
Suspended

Hmm, so they would pull some of the planes they're using now for other routes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.