Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

long shot fare question - will UA fare match other carrier's fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold

OK - so i need to go to Dubai on short notice. I am in ORD, so there is a nonstop EK flight there. Being GS on UA, I want to try to stay on UA. There is a flight through FRA that I could do, but the airfare is double EK's. Long-shot question: would UA fare match? I can justify 10 to 15% fare difference, but not double.

(Note, the ORD / FRA flight is empty, in case your wondering).
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I doubt they would even entertain the thought, if I’m honest.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
The challenge is the reps on the phone have no control over this even if they wanted. They would need the pricing/revenue team to manually reprice and that team typically only entertains exceptions if there is a fare mistake or other issue driving it - not competitive factors.

Best bet would be seeing if there are any combinations of travel that would allow you to get a lower price (e.g. separately buying the United RT to FRA and the RT to Dubai from Frankfurt, changing the length of the trip, etc.).
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA has not traditionally fare match but as a GS you can give it a try -- as mentioned the front line agent will have to get approval from others. Only by calling will you get an answer (or if with a large corporation, via the UA corporate contact),keep expectations low.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
The challenge is the reps on the phone have no control over this even if they wanted. They would need the pricing/revenue team to manually reprice and that team typically only entertains exceptions if there is a fare mistake or other issue driving it - not competitive factors.

Best bet would be seeing if there are any combinations of travel that would allow you to get a lower price (e.g. separately buying the United RT to FRA and the RT to Dubai from Frankfurt, changing the length of the trip, etc.).
Separate tickets involve lots of additional complications at this time, such as whether OP is admissible to Germany. If flights are cancelled or rescheduled, the airline would view FRA (for example) as the destination and take no responsibility for rebooking the other ticket. The same if IROPs cause OP to miss a flight on another ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:38 pm

Talk to a travel agent. They may have access to better fares or proprietary matching programs. I would be surprised to see them match EK, but it's not impossible.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8

I took a look at this - the fares to FRA are more than if i booked it through to DUB.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you fly via FRA, do you have authority to enter Germany? On separate tickets, doubtful that UA will permit boarding.

In any event, during the pandemic, nonstop is almost always preferable to anything direct or a connection. Every segment is a potential complication which has to be carefully analyzed and with fewer options, simple IRROPS can lead to lengthy delays.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nyr2299
I took a look at this - the fares to FRA are more than if i booked it through to DUB.
Not to be the spelling police but I imagine you mean DXB. DUB is Dublin.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not to be the spelling police but I imagine you mean DXB. DUB is Dublin.
Maybe OP has reservations at Burj Al Leprechaun?
aquanine, J_Stroming, 1P and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
These days, non-stop trumps all other considerations.
So - non-stop plus 50% cheaper - what is there to think about>
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I doubt you'll have much success. United has historically had a pretty generous fare match program for travel agents against AA and DL fares, but in my experience it only worked on wholly United-operated itineraries, and I haven't seen one that works for EK fares. (I'm honestly not sure if it's even still active at the moment.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.