Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Houston Winter Weather (Feb 16-18, 2021) IAH closed til 16 Feb 8PM CST

Travel Waiver: Houston Winter Weather (Feb 16-18, 2021) IAH closed til 16 Feb 8PM CST

Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airport:
  • Houston, TX (IAH)
Original ticket must have been purchased by: February 13, 2021

Rebook language: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before February 21, 2021, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...merica-waivers

Jetstream Waiver (posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 1+

David

Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:54 am

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
IAH is closed until 1 pm Tuesday
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For updates check, https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfa...p?ARPT=IAH&p=0

Due to SNOW/ICE, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Feb 15 at 12:50 AM CST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Feb 16 at 01:00 PM CST.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
3 day holiday weekend, this is going to be brutal. I flew home Friday and the airports were PACKED (post covid packed - not pre covid packed)
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
3 day holiday weekend, this is going to be brutal. I flew home Friday and the airports were PACKED (post covid packed - not pre covid packed)
Nationwide TSA numbers averaged 1M screenings per day over the weekend with Friday at 1.15M
The weekend is running less than 1/2 a traditional Feb travel day (2019.2020) and low 40% for same weekend in past years.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Nationwide TSA numbers averaged 1M screenings per day over the weekend with Friday at 1.15M
The weekend is running less than 1/2 a traditional Feb travel day (2019.2020) and low 40% for same weekend in past years.

Yeah, I was more comparing it to the last 6 months. Seems like travel in August and Sep were the lowest, then it has been picking up, but the past 3-5 weeks have been pretty busy.....

Obviously this is seat of the pants numbers as I am not in every airport - but Friday I was in ORD, IAH and IAD LOL - either way, bad timing to shut down at the end of a 3 day weekend.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:12 pm

Yeah, I was more comparing it to the last 6 months. Seems like travel in August and Sep were the lowest, then it has been picking up, but the past 3-5 weeks have been pretty busy.... .
Nationwide since after the new year (but before this weekend) numbers dropped to pre-Nov 2020 levels, mid-30% YoY. but a tad higher than July/Aug 2020 (just below 30% YoY 7 day average)
Some flight banking may be creating a greater sense of crowding plus we may have forgotten what a busy airport really is.

Sorry for going so far off topic, the IAH shutdown will certain disrupt a lot of travelers - best wishes to all

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2021 at 1:17 pm Reason: Getting back ontopic
Old Feb 15, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I took a look at FR24 this morning and there was not a single flight in the air between IAH and anywhere else in the world. Crazy day. A couple of inches snow on the ground shutting down the whole city was a good reminder that I don't live in Canada anymore
Old Feb 15, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by david_oz
I took a look at FR24 this morning and there was not a single flight in the air between IAH and anywhere else in the world. Crazy day. A couple of inches snow on the ground shutting down the whole city was a good reminder that I don't live in Canada anymore
Well, your FT location says otherwise...

David
SFO777 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by arisaa
IAH is closed until 1 pm Tuesday
Now 4pm local on 2/16. Will take at least a few days to untangle this mess.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:20 pm

You may find this data interesting:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1644485092
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I did a few extra TSA runs during my layovers. You are welcome.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by david_oz
keep in mind that snow came after hours of freezing rain and temps lower than any in over 100 years. IAH will be a mess rest of week due to more cold weather and rain.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
You may find this data interesting:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1644485092

Thursday and Friday did have quite an upswing 40% or so....

Turns out IAH and HOU were both shut down.. AUS and DAL/DFW were significantly affected and a few other airports in LA and MS were also shut down. This is beyond crazy.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
In the winter of 2010/11 I was flying DC8s for an ACMI airline. I was scheduled to fly through IAH then to LRD to end my week. I had tickets to return home after that. Big ice storms were forecast in Texas and all of the airlines preemptively cancelled almost all of their TX flights.

The storm was a bust, bringing some snow but not the frozen Armageddon that was predicted, and as we came into IAH, the approach controller mentioned that we were the only aircraft flying in IAH approach's airspace at the moment. It was around 8:00am. As we taxied past the airline concourses, it looked like a ghost town. No activity at all. Just a few dark airplanes parked at some of the gates.

Needless to say, we didn't get home that day. Good Mexican food in Laredo, at least. Wasn't sure I was going to get home the next day. My company rebooked me on AA the next morning (don't remember if the original ticket was on UA or DL) but the airplane had picked up frost overnight and LRD didn't have any deice equipment. We boarded the E145 then taxied to a position where the sun was shining on the wings until the frost melted. Lots of snow at DFW and the ramp wasn't well plowed. One thing I remember well is that when we parked at the gate, and everyone stood up, one young lady from that back of the airplane is trying to push her way to the front. She says, "I have a connection!", as though she was the only one on the airplane that did. The rest of us knew enough to know that we had all probably already missed our flights. Surprisingly, I didn't. I got to the gate just before the door was going to close and the agent was expecting me. I was impressed.
artvandalay likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.