Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
The United Quest Card will continue to receive the same benefit as the United Platinum Class Visa Card. You will continue to earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a Calendar Year.

Print Wikipost

United Quest Card (was Platinum Visa)

Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
United Quest Card (was Platinum Visa)

Just got the following in my post box - Looks like UA and Chase are tired of us/this card - wanna move us to "United Quest(tm) Card" and charge us $250/year for it:

No more United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa:

Enhancements in green/yellow, reductions/eliminations boxed in red. Apparently they don't want to deal with the companion certificate any more and think that 5K award miles up to 2 times a year is an even exchange.

Those of us with annual fee cycles after August 1, 2021 will see it go from $140 to $250 each year - if you decide that it is worth it to keep the card.

David
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Wow, I thought I was the only person that kept the old card..

I received the mailing about the Quest card. Funny, nothing online about it, other than this post.

I wonder if this is worth it? Since UA and AA went revenue based, I've been a free agent, flying which one was cheaper for where I was going. I'm a MM so I get baggage. I wonder which boarding group this falls into. Is anything else worth it?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The reduction in miles from two to one for each dollar spent at gas stations, home improvement stores, and grocery stores highly suggests that this United Air Lines MileagePlus Platinum Visa / Quest Card is no longer (as of Sunday, 21 March 2021) intended to be used as an "everyday spend" card, but as a "UA travel" card.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The reduction in miles from two to one for each dollar spent at gas stations, home improvement stores, and grocery stores highly suggests that this United Air Lines MileagePlus Platinum Visa / Quest Card is no longer (as of Sunday, 21 March 2021) intended to be used as an "everyday spend" card, but as a "UA travel" card.
Yeah, but for a $250 AF?

David
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsl42
.... If I choose to keep the card, the privilege will be $250/year. ...
In exchange for the extra $110 you get
$125 annual United purchase credit
Global Entry/TSA fee credit
Two 5,000 mile award flight credits (RIP Companion travel certificate)
Two free checked bags
And a variety of other changes
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Definitely shifts the focus of the card to travel.

Which is fine if that's what you were using it for or plan to shift using it for.

I think I used this card to pay my law school tuition in the 1980s.
nnn, EWR764 and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:23 am

I received the exact same mailing on Friday...had this card since 2002. Still deciding on whether to keep it, but I'd like to know what the PQP earning will be (500 per $12k spent?).

Last edited by ualisthebst; Feb 14, 2021 at 6:51 am Reason: PQP not PQM
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In exchange for the extra $110 you get

And a variety of other changes
They are taking away the zone base companion certificate. I've managed to get pretty good value out of this certificate in recent years. Worked great on in-season flights to Hawaii and higher priced destinations like ASE.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They are taking away the zone base companion certificate. ....
Yes, as mentioned.
But the more recent versions were getting harder and harder to make use of and many felt it was no longer of much value. But when it worked it could be useful.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by ualisthebst
I'd like to know what the PQP earning will be (500 per $12k spent?).
I have this card too. I was never able to make much use of the companion certificate, but the EQMs (PQMs?) credited regularly helped me make gold or higher. I can't find any information on whether we get PQPs now. Does anyone know?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 14, 2021 at 4:35 pm Reason: quote attribution
Old Feb 14, 2021, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ualisthebst
I received the exact same mailing on Friday...had this card since 2002. Still deciding on whether to keep it, but I'd like to know what the PQP earning will be (500 per $12k spent?).
Originally Posted by mmthomps
I have this card too. I was never able to make much use of the companion certificate, but the EQMs (PQMs?) credited regularly helped me make gold or higher. I can't find any information on whether we get PQPs now. Does anyone know?
No inside information but I would be very surprised if this did not earn the standard 500 PQPs per $12K. What will be interesting is what the cap is?
ualisthebst likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 4:38 pm

Yeah, I'm interested in the cap too.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Well, now I feel even better about having dropped this card last year. Wasn't getting good value out of it as my flying has shifted away from UA (had the card since 2006). Dropped down to a no-fee UA card. I'll continue using the CSR for restaurants, travel, and the GE credit
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:38 pm

is it possible to apply for this card today, or the card that will turn into it?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thetoad
is it possible to apply for this card today, or the card that will turn into it?
United Quest(tm) Card: Not yet - nothing is appearing on chase.com. This will be the new card.

United Mileage Plus Platinum Visa: No - haven't been accepting new card applications for many years now (over a decade?)

David
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.