Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1+ Year Anniversary of Not Flying United

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
One year anniversary today. Last flight was ABQ-IAH-BWI on 9 Feb 2020. Was supposed to connect through ORD but there was a snowstorm, and I got a CPU on ABQ-IAH at the gate. I don't have the United app on my phone anymore, but I still come here regularly to read the trip reports from those do travel and learn about the latest Chase promotion to get more points for when I travel again.
Weatherboy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mfirst
AndyInSaigon,
You bring up a very interesting points - many of us love to travel...but why?
.... and will those reasons still be there with all of the new regulations (and risks)?
.... and maybe if we start thinking about our addictions, do we start to recognize that they might be misguided......

Look at Tom Struer (sp?) - zillions of miles on UA and now telling us that he is liking not traveling as much (if I misspoke about Tom, please correct me - and maybe UA1Flyer might chime in????

-
1) For leisure, I'd much prefer to take a vacation in a place that offers things I can't find at home (skiing, history, etc.)
2) For work, my job involves personal interactions and relationship-building, which can't be done as effectively via Zoom etc.

I don't fly enough to make it tedious - still exciting, whether a couple of domestic flights or a long RT to Asia. I could understand how someone who flies as much as ua1flyer might reflect upon it and find it tedious.
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Just took an antibody titer nearly a year after getting COVID and my antibody numbers are still sky high, while my wife still tested negative and has stayed grounded.
I'm also in the Cleveland area - just curious where you got your antibody test? I had read an article from a Cleveland Clinic doctor early on in the pandemic saying the antibody tests were not reliable, but maybe things have changed?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by paule123
I'm also in the Cleveland area - just curious where you got your antibody test? I had read an article from a Cleveland Clinic doctor early on in the pandemic saying the antibody tests were not reliable, but maybe things have changed?
My Dr told me the same thing - the tests are useless after 3-4 months. I was almost certain I had this virus back in January last year and was horrified that I might have been one of the Patient Zero's in Singapore, so I wanted to check and be sure that I did or did not have it, but after discussing the limits of the test, he explained that it was generally accepted that antibodies would not last long enough to be detected by the test and provide any conclusion about a prior infection unless the test was given within a few weeks of illness.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by paule123
I took the Abbott Architect SARS-CoV-2 IgG (100% sensitivity rate and 99.6% specificity rate, for a predictive value of 92.9% at 5% prevalence) at Quest in May and was positive.

Then I took the Roche Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2, test code 164068 (100% sensitivity rate and 99.8% specificity rate, which has a positive predictive value of 96.5% at 5% prevalence) at Labcorp in June and was positive again.

Last month Labcorp starting administering the Roche SARS-CoV-2 Semi-Quant Total Ab, test code 164090, which gives you the exact antibody titer level. The cutoff for a positive result is anything above 0.8 U/mL. I took that test and my numbers, some 11 months after infection, were 192.60. The max number on the test is 250 U/mL.

Labcorp is in Walgreens now, and is great-I'm in and out within 5 minutes. The qualitative tests were covered in full by insurance, but the quantitative test was $60 and required more blood and some extra time for the results.

Based on my repeated antibody tests, I feel pretty confident about the low risks I'm taking by traveling, but to each their own

Now, how do we get the CLE UC open again?

Originally Posted by bocastephen
My Dr told me the same thing - the tests are useless after 3-4 months. I was almost certain I had this virus back in January last year and was horrified that I might have been one of the Patient Zero's in Singapore, so I wanted to check and be sure that I did or did not have it, but after discussing the limits of the test, he explained that it was generally accepted that antibodies would not last long enough to be detected by the test and provide any conclusion about a prior infection unless the test was given within a few weeks of illness.
Sounds like nonsense to me based on discussions with several infectious disease physicians and my own experience.
SPN Lifer, Dublin_rfk and LIH like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's return to UA discussions please. Best place for COVID antibody testing discussion is Coronavirus and travel

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
No Incentives

What I do find surprising is United hasn't offered any promotion to encourage me to fly. As a Global Services member, I never qualified for the frequent promotions they'd throw out there for flying X miles and earning Z bonus miles. So I don't know if being GS automatically made me ineligible from future marketing campaigns or what, but while others have reported various bonuses and promotions to get them flying again, I haven't received anything ...nor did I qualify for some of the promotions discussed here.

For those of you grounded for the last year, has UA offered any promotions to you to fly again?

I wonder if they just consider their higher frequent flyers a lost cause until later this year (or beyond) when some semblance of normal business travel returns.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
For those of you grounded for the last year, has UA offered any promotions to you to fly again?
Those of us on UA Corporate Rates have been offered discounts on leisure travel not available to the general public - known as Break from Business fares
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Those of us on UA Corporate Rates have been offered discounts on leisure travel not available to the general public - known as Break from Business fares
a substantial discount or $50 off a flight discount?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP
a substantial discount or $50 off a flight discount?
I generally see 10% off - also applies to F fares.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
My anniversary is in about 2 weeks. Last flight was a short hop, IAH-DFW. Definitely no phone calls from United to this lowly 1K!
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I don't know if being GS automatically made me ineligible from future marketing campaigns . . . .
If you bought a Plus Pass for $50K, perhaps UA feels safe that they already have your loyalty for a year.

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by titaniumfemme
... Definitely no phone calls from United to this lowly 1K!
People due realize with a reportedly 75 - 100K 1Ks, at 5 minutes each, this would take 5+ person years of staff time to do and to get done in a month -- 60+ people
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
People due realize with a reportedly 75 - 100K 1Ks, at 5 minutes each, this would take 5+ person years of staff time to do and to get done in a month -- 60+ people
One good call center in India can knock that out in days and one robocall shop in hours.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
One good call center in India can knock that out in days and one robocall shop in hours.
Then we'd have a thread with 10,000+ posts about a call center in India calling me about flying or an annoying robocall.
SPN Lifer, nnn and st3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.