Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general travel info and inflight masking, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html , not a list but specific route masking information. Of course understanding things are dynamic and hard for any site to stay up-to-date.

18 April 2022
"NEW FROM UNITED AIRLINES: “Effective immediately, masks are no longer required at United on domestic flights, select international flights (dependent upon the arrival country’s mask requirements) or at U.S. airports.”"

This from Pete Muntean of CNN
International flights where masks may still be required (from 4/24 post):

Argentina
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
Federated States of Micronesia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Hong Kong
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Marshall Islands
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Palau
Panama
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
St. Kitts
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Print Wikipost

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Flights to Australia still require mask wearing in the flights. For those connecting on to VS within Australia, VS enforces it during flight and all airports in Australia require wearing masks inside the airports.
This is incorrect as regards Australian airports. The AHPPC proposed that mask wearing in airport terminals no longer be mandated from as early as midnight 17 June 2022, most states followed that advice pretty much immediately, all had followed it after a week.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Mask requirements on UA's SIN-US flights

Question - on UA's direct flights from SIN, can one remove a mask once the plane is in the air (means leaving Singapore airspace) or FAs force pax to wear masks until you reach US?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA
I was on UA2 a few weeks ago. Masks were optional once the door was closed and plane has pushed off the gate.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Thanks for confirming it. Because some from Singapore are telling me that UA has to enforce masks onboard until the plane lends in the US according to Singapore authorities' directive
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Flew EWR -NRT July 1 - masks required and everyone complied for all 14 hours….
Same experience same day SFO-NRT. They said it’s because of Japan directive. Isn’t a closed UA plane under US jurisdiction generally? I can understand being told to wear when approaching NRT and certainly once landed, but from boarding in SFO? Why?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Same experience same day SFO-NRT. They said it’s because of Japan directive. Isn’t a closed UA plane under US jurisdiction generally? I can understand being told to wear when approaching NRT and certainly once landed, but from boarding in SFO? Why?
I'm guessing it's because the Japanese have said that if you want to fly here -- these are the rules.... I found it interesting that the pre-boarding announcements and inflight reminders caused no drama from the pax -- I guess we are all used to it....
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I had the same thing last week flying to TPE. They made announcements during boarding in SFO that one requirement for flying to Taiwan was that passengers and crew must wear masks at all times on board except when eating. And same as bmwe92fan , everyone complied with no issue.
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by a5un
I was on UA2 a few weeks ago. Masks were optional once the door was closed and plane has pushed off the gate.
My Aunt and Uncle said it was slightly different on their flight, the crew announced that masks had to be worn till the plane existed SIN airspace and about 10 minuets'ish after take-off the crew announced that those who would like to remove their masks may do so for the duration of the flight.
ll22949 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I'm guessing it's because the Japanese have said that if you want to fly here -- these are the rules.... I found it interesting that the pre-boarding announcements and inflight reminders caused no drama from the pax -- I guess we are all used to it....
Originally Posted by uanj
I had the same thing last week flying to TPE. They made announcements during boarding in SFO that one requirement for flying to Taiwan was that passengers and crew must wear masks at all times on board except when eating. And same as bmwe92fan , everyone complied with no issue.
I’m not surprised with the compliance, my flight included. The rationale for the requirement seems like a reach though.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:35 pm

Flying UA Polaris from SFO-TPE-BKK soon and I assumed that, because Taiwan has strict mask requirements on board and indoors, United would require masks on their flights into TPE. Seems that's been everyone's experience here anyway.

However, on United's own site, under the Covid-19 Travel Entry Requirements, after you input the flight information (SFO-TPE) it says this:

On board

The use of face masks is not mandatory on board flights for all passengers arriving into and departing from Taiwan.

So are they enforcing a policy that goes against their own company stated policy? This is a 14 hour flight, so I'd really like to not be hassled to wear a mask while I'm trying to sleep if it can be avoided...
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alantraveler
Flying UA Polaris from SFO-TPE-BKK soon and I assumed that, because Taiwan has strict mask requirements on board and indoors, United would require masks on their flights into TPE. Seems that's been everyone's experience here anyway.
Note the latest post in this thread before yours is 6 months old, probably need a more recent experience before suggesting a contradiction, I would give preference to the more up to date notice on ua.com but recent traveler experiences would help settle the query.
TWA884 and alantraveler like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Note the latest post in this thread before yours is 6 months old, probably need a more recent experience before suggesting a contradiction, I would give preference to the more up to date notice on ua.com but recent traveler experiences would help settle the query.
For sure. I just haven't seen anything to the contrary and wanted to see if anyone had any updated information. Hard to find info on flights to a specific country from the U.S.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: United, Southwest
FEBRUARY !, 2023 I just bought a Farelocked ticket to London for September and at the top of my receipt was this little block of text. I started to panic and Googled "Face Masks flights to UK" but nothing current came up. But WHY then did United send me this on the receipt I just got yesterday????

Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
It must be the typical UA IT incompetence. I did LAX-LHR two weeks ago and there is no mandatory masking onboard or at LHR or London.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
But WHY then did United send me this on the receipt I just got yesterday????

Call UA and ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.