Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general travel info and inflight masking, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html , not a list but specific route masking information. Of course understanding things are dynamic and hard for any site to stay up-to-date.

18 April 2022
"NEW FROM UNITED AIRLINES: “Effective immediately, masks are no longer required at United on domestic flights, select international flights (dependent upon the arrival country’s mask requirements) or at U.S. airports.”"

This from Pete Muntean of CNN
International flights where masks may still be required (from 4/24 post):

Argentina
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
Federated States of Micronesia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Hong Kong
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Marshall Islands
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Palau
Panama
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
St. Kitts
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Print Wikipost

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Broken windows theory. You let one thing slide it means it's more likely that other things will slide as well.
Like the famous story of a rock band requiring one color of m&m being removed from their dressing room. If the event venue was not able to follow that directive, the band had no confidence that other more important safety rules were being followed.
And again I'm referring to the crew following the law, not them acting as enforcement to the customers.
Nonsense. Ridiculous assumption based on nothing. It was never a law, the Executive branch doesn't make laws, the Legislative branch does....and in this case they never did. Policies aren't laws. Words matter and assumptions are foolish.
HawaiiDave and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
Broken windows theory. You let one thing slide it means it's more likely that other things will slide as well.

Like the famous story of a rock band requiring one color of m&m being removed from their dressing room. If the event venue was not able to follow that directive, the band had no confidence that other more important safety rules were being followed.

And again I'm referring to the crew following the law, not them acting as enforcement to the customers.

There is no law requiring passengers to wear a face mask on flights to/from Mexico. It's up to the airlines.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
And again I'm referring to the crew following the law, not them acting as enforcement to the customers.​
Can you cite the law?

Thanks
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There is no law requiring passengers to wear a face mask on flights to/from Mexico. It's up to the airlines.
Right so... is UA requiring face masks on all flights to/from Mexico? Or was this an isolated incident?

I've only flown AA to Mexico recently, but in the future I might fly UA. Usually I book the cheapest flights but if UA is requiring this then I'll be willing to pay a little more to fly AA.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Points made but this is not the forum for a discussion of how mask mandates came into place. Let's return to reporting what is occurring on flights; what passengers are being told and what passengers / crew are doing. Other posts will be deleted in their entirety.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 17, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
Anyone fly to Canada recently on UA metal? Do they make you wear a mask while boarding and in flight? I assume I'll have to wear one through the airport when I arrive...

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2022, 6:55 am

Friends of mine flew to MEX on UA and said that the Gate Agent made an announcement about masks needed to be worn while boarding and throughout the flight.

Folks just ignored the announcement and boarded sans mask, upon boarding my friends said that none of the Flight Attendants had masks, so they removed theirs put them away and did not wear them for the entirety of the flight nor in the terminal in MEX.

They were talking with neighbors of their in CDMX and their neighbors flew in on AA and no announcement regarding masks and nobody wore any throughout the flight.
LETTERBOY and VegasGambler like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
IAH-MUC. GA made announcement that masks were required. Upon boarding not so much. Pilot stated that KN95s were required in Munich (not quite right). Upon deplaning in MUC, hardly any masks in the airport.

For flight to Venice, masks were needed, although not everyone was wearing FFP though.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickfromla
Anyone fly to Canada recently on UA metal? Do they make you wear a mask while boarding and in flight? I assume I'll have to wear one through the airport when I arrive...

Thanks!
I flew from Canada back to the US on Sunday (UA flight # but OO metal, in case that makes a difference). Masks were required while boarding, and still in Canadian airports, but they made announcements that we could take them off right after takeoff, which people did. So I assume going to Canada would be no masks required until landing.

(My to-Canada leg was on Westjet, which required masks all flight.)
Old May 18, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold, SW A-List
Just flew from JNB to FRA and was told that all flights to/from Germany has a mask requirement despite the fact that the EU dropped the mask requirement May 16th. Germany has its' own rules with regards to masks on public transportation though masks are not required at FRA, just on the plane.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
EWR-CHS about 20% of PAX masked. Crew no masks
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickfromla

Thanks!
Yes, mask required, but they were not heavy handed with notices, and no scofflaws on my flight that I noticed.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, 2MM, Ambassador Marriott
On flight IAH to GRU on Thursday and Mask required, several annoucements. The flight attendants were not pushing if you did not have it on or not over your noise. Understand on the GRU to USA, it will not be required. You do need it in the GRU airport.
Old May 23, 2022, 4:53 pm

Flying USA to Germany later this week in UA business... anyone flying last week or this week... would be interested in UA enforcement of masks on flights to Germany. Less than a few weeks ago? about the same?

Also, when you land, at what point when you land in Germany - if you are wearing a mask - can you take it off? Door open? Jetway? Terminal?

Thanks
Old May 23, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold, SW A-List
I flew Lufthansa last week and though the EU did away with masks on airplanes a week or so ago, Germany kept their mandate. You are supposed to wear masks on all flights to/from Germany. Lufthansa enforced it and even offered the cheap single ply masks which breathe easier. I imagine that UA will enforce it as well since it is German law but it may ultimately come down to the flight crew. Once you are off the plane and in the airport masks are not required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.