Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general travel info and inflight masking, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html , not a list but specific route masking information. Of course understanding things are dynamic and hard for any site to stay up-to-date.

18 April 2022
"NEW FROM UNITED AIRLINES: “Effective immediately, masks are no longer required at United on domestic flights, select international flights (dependent upon the arrival country’s mask requirements) or at U.S. airports.”"

This from Pete Muntean of CNN
International flights where masks may still be required (from 4/24 post):

Argentina
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
Federated States of Micronesia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Hong Kong
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Marshall Islands
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Palau
Panama
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
St. Kitts
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Print Wikipost

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The restrictions for each international destination are available to us on our company iPads. The FRA restriction currently says that masks are required onboard.
interesting, thank you

This all happened very quickly. There was likely some time between when the US mandate was stopped and all of the individual station information was correctly displayed. The flight in question may have occurred before the correct information was available to the crew. We have had a number of pilot bulletin revisions over the past several days related to mask requirements.
The flight in question happened less than 24h ago so possible but unlikely. I will follow up with United Customer Care and the relevant authorities in Germany.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by thesmiler
The flight in question happened less than 24h ago so possible but unlikely. I will follow up with United Customer Care and the relevant authorities in Germany.
I have no way of seeing what the iPad information said at a point in the past. Sorry.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The restrictions for each international destination are available to us on our company iPads. The FRA restriction currently says that masks are required onboard. ....
Thanks for the information.

Another case of the dynamic, changing and many time confusing situation we have all experienced for the past 2 years

So I think we can consider the recently query answered and closed,

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Another case of the dynamic, changing and many time confusing situation we have all experienced for the past 2 years
I'm going to CUN next week. I just re-checked the info for Cancun and it now has the same wording as FRA. When I checked a day, or two, ago the wording was more permissive than it is now so there have been some very recent updates.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Picked up some extra flights (UA + OAL) during the past few days, and really enjoyed not having to mask throughout airports and onboard. Finally good to see some normalcy flying, and catching up to other day-to-day activities. Supposedly, there are "mandates" at my local airports and public transit, but I didn't bring any mask on purpose.
jsloan, gnaget, rch4u and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Onboard UA870 (SYD-SFO) right now and FA walked around the Polaris cabin to inform people that now the doors are closed you are free to take your mask off if you wish as we are now covered by US law.

We have a slight delay so she did warn if the door opened it would need to go back on.
gnaget, Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by simong
Onboard UA870 (SYD-SFO) right now and FA walked around the Polaris cabin to inform people that now the doors are closed you are free to take your mask off if you wish as we are now covered by US law.

We have a slight delay so she did warn if the door opened it would need to go back on.
Despite a JD. I don’t know the ins and outs of international carrier law. For instance, if you got up and clubbed someone over the head and murdered them right now while on the ground at SYD, are you subject to
US Or AUS law (I suspect AUS). However, for purposes of the mask, it seems UA has enacted a policy that is on outbound INTL US it’s no mask till you land, and for inbound INTL US it’s mask till the door closes. Whether this is the letter of the law, it seems reasonable and enforceable.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Despite a JD. I don’t know the ins and outs of international carrier law. For instance, if you got up and clubbed someone over the head and murdered them right now while on the ground at SYD, are you subject to
US Or AUS law (I suspect AUS). However, for purposes of the mask, it seems UA has enacted a policy that is on outbound INTL US it’s no mask till you land, and for inbound INTL US it’s mask till the door closes. Whether this is the letter of the law, it seems reasonable and enforceable.
At least UA seems to have some logic -- I was just in FRA and they no longer require masks in the airport (although many do still wear them) -- and we all crowd in to boarding area (no masks required) -- then all crowd on to the bus (no masks required) -- and then we all board the plane and they hand us all a mask to wear for the flight to the UK where when we land we all take of our masks deboarding because in the UK no masks are required anywhere for anything...
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
If it's a US citizen, you're subject to prosecution in the US.

Technically, countries have the power to impose restriction on flights arriving and departing from their soil, so for example if a carrier was refusing to follow Australia's mask rules on departures, Australia could penalize the carrier or even revoke its rights.
SPN Lifer and thesmiler like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
UA 2005
SFO-BOS redeye
April 21st

Announcement was made that masks are not required followed by a simple “and please be courteous to others whether they choose to wear a mask or not”

No applause, boo’s, hisses and the etc and my guess after walking the aisle to stretch was that it was 80/20 wearing masks with the 4 person cabin crew at 50%
UA2400
BOS-SFO
April 24th

No announcement
50/50 both for pax and the crew of 4 F/A's
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU - IAD
4/25

Mesa operated UX flight -- announcement as made stating that folks should do what they feel comfortable and wearing masks was completely fine even though the mandate has been lifted. Would guess it was 35/65 with keeping them on. No crew wearing them.

IAD - LHR
4/25

No announcement made about masks. Would guess it was about 25/75 (maybe even lower) on wearing masks. Didn't observe any crew in any cabin wearing
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've now done SFO-ORD, ORD-DEN, DEN-SFO, SFO-LAX, LAX-SFO. Most flights were in the 50-75% masked range for passengers (based on my rough counting during boarding), except for ORD-DEN which was maybe at 30-35% I'd guess.

Cabin crew were pretty much 50/50 on all my flights, cockpit crew were masked on two, and unmasked on the other three.

The biggest differences I saw was in the airports. SFO has been fairly heavily masked and DEN was pretty much the inverse.

Time will tell what this all means. I'm very comfortable in my N95 and will continue to wear it around other people as long as I see that doing so can potentially help protect others. What I have been really happy to observe is that not one person, whether masked or unmasked, has so much as batted an eyelid at anyone else. If they have strong opinions, they have kept it to themselves. Nice to see that there's some human courtesy still out there. If only people could keep their shoes off seats and walls now.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
If it's a US citizen, you're subject to prosecution in the US.
Citizenship is irrelevant.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew CDG-IAD Monday. No mask announcements at the gate or onboard but the crew was happily making light conversation about not needing to wear masks. I did notice that the automated safety recording still mentioned that masks were required except for short intervals between bites while eating.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by cricketer
Nice to see that there's some human courtesy still out there. If only people could keep their shoes off seats and walls now.
Ok, I was just going to "like" your post, until the last line... Gotta give an LOL for that!
IAD-IAH, IAH-OKC and return to IAD, I would say we had the opposite. Much less that 1 in 30-50 masked, and about 3-4 in 10 crew masked. But completely agree, no one gave a single crap about what anyone else did. Various announcements generally centered on "you do you".
There was one crazy announcement at a gate while I was walking from the IAH UC E-terminal to E9, about how everyone needed to have a mask on PRIOR to boarding. I couldnt tell where it was coming from, so no idea what country they were headed to.
Agree tho, this may not be over, but everyone is living with it, and no one cared what others were doing one way or the other. One flight (OKC-IAH today) even annouced they had masks in case anyone wanted them. More people paid attention to the safety brief than cared about the announcement. Not a peep. I'd have to agree, somewhere along the way, civility has started catching on...
Welcome (back) to the Friendly Skies...
Aside from some brutal weather diversions and delays, it was a very nice experience...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.