Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general travel info and inflight masking, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html , not a list but specific route masking information. Of course understanding things are dynamic and hard for any site to stay up-to-date.

18 April 2022
"NEW FROM UNITED AIRLINES: “Effective immediately, masks are no longer required at United on domestic flights, select international flights (dependent upon the arrival country’s mask requirements) or at U.S. airports.”"

This from Pete Muntean of CNN
International flights where masks may still be required (from 4/24 post):

Argentina
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
Federated States of Micronesia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Hong Kong
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Marshall Islands
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Palau
Panama
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
St. Kitts
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Print Wikipost

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
The problem becomes how to put the cat back in the bag if some other judge opines differently. If you thought there were too many cases of passenger misbehavior before just wait..
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K , LH SEN
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
My vote for most aggressive enforcement airline is LH -- I mean if you didn't put the mask on between bites they were on you like a hawk - every time!
Well, yes, things are complicated. In fact, German law makers had decided to operate with horrendous fines - not for the ones breaking the rules, but for the businesses who do not harass their customers bad enough. So, it's not only LH

I had a comparison between UA and LH on some longs in C last year - and I did not notice any difference. I you keep a low profile, they tend to look somewhere else. LH and UA. Yes, that's the past, given the new US regulations...
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Well the Biden administration just filed the appeal, so curious if United will stock masks at airports and on airplanes just in case something quick happens with mask mandates.
Originally Posted by ll22949
I frequently get choked when I drink and it makes me so paranoid right now to cough on a plane. And that was with my mask on. I will likely keep wearing one, especially if traveling internationally as I want to be able to come home without delay.
To follow the discussion of the appeal, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...k-mandate.html
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html

try this? it does list face-covering/vaccination/pre-departure testing requirements of the destination country (which may or may not be the same as the face-covering requirements when flying)
United should be able to list "mask destinations" just like SAS does. Currently, SAS has Italy (!) and China on the list. So UA would probably add [Moderator edit] Australia (inbound only?) and maybe Korea and Taiwan [Moderator edit]. Not sure why it would apply if you leave the airspace of one of the countries..... but SAS has its two listed in both directions.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 21, 2022 at 8:21 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12.2 ("FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community....")
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
United should be able to list "mask destinations" just like SAS does. Currently, SAS has Italy (!) and China on the list. So UA would probably add [Moderator edit] Australia (inbound only?) and maybe Korea and Taiwan [Moderator edit]. Not sure why it would apply if you leave the airspace of one of the countries..... but SAS has its two listed in both directions.
I think in practice they're unlikely to be meticulous in enforcing it on flights leaving those countries.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 21, 2022 at 8:36 am Reason: Conform edited quote
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not so sure that a stay is likely to be granted. If the judge concludes that the appeal is unlikely to succeed it would not be correct to grant the stay.

If they don't have a reasonable answer for why the rules about the comment period were not followed, what are the grounds for the appeal exactly?
Completely disagree. The judge should have, sua sponte, like most other judges, 48h to appeal, where the circuit would issue an immediate administrative stay. I would be shocked if the judge didn't issue a stay. I actually think the administration may be baiting the judge to see if she doesn't issue a stay. Failing to do so, again, would be highly unusual.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Trying to filter through the nonsense in this thread. If I read correctly, Flights TO Australia currently require a mask but not return? If a certain country requires masks, why not just required the mask to be worn once the door opens or once entering the country's airspace?
cricketer, gnaget, ll22949 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wandered around SFO Terminal G and 3 today. I'd say in the international (G) about 90% of people were masked, and in Terminal 3 it's noticeably lower, but still probably at 2/3 to 3/4. Will be interesting to see what the ratio is on my 777-300ER shortly. I'm guessing a higher mask percentage than out of most other destinations.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Quite surprised by my flight - in the premium plus section 21 of 24 were masked. Ratio on the flight overall was probably much closer to 50-60% masked at a casual estimate. More importantly, nobody said anything to anybody else about anything.

What I did notice was the sudden and almost complete absence of cloth masks. Leads me to hypothesize that those that never wanted to mask did so in the minimally compliant way - wearing a cloth mask that is better than nothing in terms of protecting, but only just. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I have another 8 segments in the next two weeks, and they cover areas that likely have very different majority views.
Rare and uanj like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:40 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
On my flight ORD/RSW the other day, there were about 20% total masked on the plane. I only saw two out of sixteen in F masked. One FA masked. Others not. At the airports, I would say about 25%-30% masked at ORD and less than 10% masked at RSW. It all depends where you are at and the "culture" at that place. The good thing is that I did not see any tension between masked and unmasked in the airports, the UC at ORD, or on the plane. People have figured this out, are making their own decisions, and respecting the decision of others.
HawaiiDave, Rare, jsloan and 3 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2022 at 11:41 am Reason: OMNI/PR comment removed
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Wonder if we could add to the Wiki of int'l destinations where UA may enforce the mask mandate per that country's rules/recommendations?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Flight EWR->MSP. I'd say 50% masked. Flight MSP->CHS (DL). Maybe 30%? Flight CHS->EWR. Definitely less than 25%.

On the CHS outbound flight, there were certainly some comments made by a few individuals loud enough for those wearing masks to hear that were political and anti-mask. Other flights nothing that I heard or saw.

Dr. wife of mine is telling her patients she would advise masking in INTL airport settings, then feel free to unmask on flight. But to be fair, she believes that's a prudent decision with or without Covid- simply protecting against all of the airborned viruses that could make people sick for a few days.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by gold23
Flight EWR->MSP. I'd say 50% masked. Flight MSP->CHS (DL). Maybe 30%? Flight CHS->EWR. Definitely less than 25%.

On the CHS outbound flight, there were certainly some comments made by a few individuals loud enough for those wearing masks to hear that were political and anti-mask. Other flights nothing that I heard or saw.

Dr. wife of mine is telling her patients she would advise masking in INTL airport settings, then feel free to unmask on flight. But to be fair, she believes that's a prudent decision with or without Covid- simply protecting against all of the airborned viruses that could make people sick for a few days.
I agree. I used N95s in my work prior to COVID and know their effectiveness against inorganic nanoparticles. However, the OTC surgical masks, that most were wearing, were ineffective at best, and cloth masks were useless.
SPN Lifer and huey_driver like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 22, 2022 at 9:04 am
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by gold23
On the CHS outbound flight, there were certainly some comments made by a few individuals loud enough for those wearing masks to hear that were political and anti-mask. Other flights nothing that I heard or saw..
Those were likely just NJ hospitality...

Seriously, there will likely be occasional things on both sides. The sideways comments about "mask-wearers" or the occasional person who doesnt want to sit next to a "bareface"... By and large, most are probably just spending enough effort on getting to their desitnation to care...
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by huey_driver
Those were likely just NJ hospitality...

Seriously, there will likely be occasional things on both sides. The sideways comments about "mask-wearers" or the occasional person who doesnt want to sit next to a "bareface"... By and large, most are probably just spending enough effort on getting to their desitnation to care...
Agreed. Vast majority don't really care. Extremes on both sides are annoying and unnecessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.