Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general travel info and inflight masking, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html , not a list but specific route masking information. Of course understanding things are dynamic and hard for any site to stay up-to-date.

18 April 2022
"NEW FROM UNITED AIRLINES: “Effective immediately, masks are no longer required at United on domestic flights, select international flights (dependent upon the arrival country’s mask requirements) or at U.S. airports.”"

This from Pete Muntean of CNN
International flights where masks may still be required (from 4/24 post):

Argentina
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
Federated States of Micronesia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Hong Kong
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Marshall Islands
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Palau
Panama
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
St. Kitts
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Print Wikipost

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Sweet! My EWR-PHX trip departs the next day. Almost guarantee that I will not need to mask up.
That was what I thought about the 3/18 date
Old Mar 13, 2022, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DEN
Even if the TSA drops the federal mask mandate, United will still have the ability to keep it in place.
I see zero chance of this scenario though.

I also believe this won’t last beyond April
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
During pilot announcements before pushback, you can read between the lines about their feelings on masking; sometimes you don't even need to read between the lines, they'd just tell you outright.

FA masking is better when public facing, but not when pax are not on board yet, or when they are "on break" while in-flight.
​​​​​​
SPN Lifer and manstein58 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Media reporting about a letter from US airline presidents asking Biden to drop mask mandates. Now we wait.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Media reporting about a letter from US airline presidents asking Biden to drop mask mandates. Now we wait.
Airline CEOs call for end to federal mask mandate in letter to Biden

aitrline CEO mask letter.pdf
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
A federal judge reversed the mask mandate today. Will UA continue to enforce?

Federal Judge Declares Federal Public Transportation Mask Mandate Unlawful

Apr 18, 2022,01:22pm EDT

missing links
https://www.reuters.com/legal/govern...rt-2022-04-18/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...ndate-unlawful

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2022 at 4:14 pm Reason: missing links
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:27 pm

Surely private companies can enforce their own rules whatever the Federal mandate is?
Has a judge declared the UA mandate illegal specifically?
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:31 pm

Do you eat your cake right after it comes out of the oven? While I'm excited to travel without a mask, the ruling just came out and things have yet to settle. I'm curious what else comes up in the next couple of days relating to this.
Doppy, Wooglin and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hotscot
Surely private companies can enforce their own rules whatever the Federal mandate is?
UA can probably mandate that its employees continue to mask up, but their authority to do the same to passengers is probably limited by this ruling.

I talked to my UA flight attendants on my last flight the other day and asked for their thoughts on masking. They were eager to ditch the masks for all; I reminded them that their union was fighting to keep it. They said they expected a transition period where passengers would be maskless but FA's would continue to mask for a month or so.

I'm eager to see how this all plays out today and tomorrow.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This obviously will be a hot topic BUT this is not the thread for discussion of the court ruling or any stays / appeals / ....
As others have mention, there are likely to be more in the coming days but that is more appropriate for a different forum.

While the airlines have asked for the mask mandate to dropped, until UA makes a public announcement best to assume the masks are still required. However it could be a difficult time for the front employees until things become clearer.

For UA specific information on a change, general speculation is best in a different forum.
Expressing opinion on the value of a masks, mask mandates, ... also best for a different forum.
Discussion of the CDC, TSA, DOT, or other governmental agencies action is a best in a different forum.

UA specific information is appropriate for this forum

Also see -- Mask Mandate Struck Down
and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-pandemic.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2022 at 2:12 pm Reason: Coronavirus forum link
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
their authority to do the same to passengers is probably limited by this ruling.
Doubtful.
Wooglin likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
The judge vacated the order meaning that it is no longer in effect. An appellate court could override this and reinstate the mandate but as of now there is no legal requirement directing airlines to enforce mask wearing
JetAway and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:13 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by manstein58
The judge vacated the order meaning that it is no longer in effect. An appellate court could override this and reinstate the mandate but as of now there is no legal requirement directing airlines to enforce mask wearing
The judge vacated the CDC mandate. That's not the same thing as what an airline may or may not decide to do.
SPN Lifer, drewguy and Wooglin like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
UA was a signer of the Airlines of America petition to end mask mandates.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Apr 18, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
TPG reporter is saying UA is considers the federal order to be in effect. No change from UA. They are basically disregarding the order for the time being (as is their right as a private company)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.