Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general travel info and inflight masking, see https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tions-map.html , not a list but specific route masking information. Of course understanding things are dynamic and hard for any site to stay up-to-date.

18 April 2022
"NEW FROM UNITED AIRLINES: “Effective immediately, masks are no longer required at United on domestic flights, select international flights (dependent upon the arrival country’s mask requirements) or at U.S. airports.”"

This from Pete Muntean of CNN
International flights where masks may still be required (from 4/24 post):

Argentina
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Ecuador
Federated States of Micronesia
France
French Polynesia
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Guatemala
Honduras
Hong Kong
India
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Marshall Islands
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Palau
Panama
Peru
Philippines
Portugal
Scotland
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
St. Kitts
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Print Wikipost

UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Was the person eating/drinking? How long had the mask been off? Maybe 1/3 because people had been eating/drinking? I have been on enough flights to coclude the compliance has been good - I am talking about for the entire flight overall, and not just a few moments of got you.

Sidenote: I am not really sure what taking a picture would accomplish; there is nothing good can come out of from taking a picture of a stranger. Also, I don't know what the vaccine comment has to do with the "incident".

​​​​​
I am with you 1000%! Sorry to hear.
Having my wife being treated like a child was pretty pathetic. She was doing nothing wrong. We get your masking rules. Chill out a little FA.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Having my wife being treated like a child was pretty pathetic. She was doing nothing wrong. We get your masking rules. Chill out a little FA.

Fortunately, vast majority of FAs apply common sense.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The crew on my AA flight yesterday also made no effort to enforce compliance. There is simply a significant percentage of flight attendants, regardless of carrier, who have no interest in playing mask police.
They still seem to have an interest in playing phone police, seating police, baggage placement police, fashion police, and parenting police.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rickg523
...seating police, baggage placement police...
Is there something wrong with a FA moving someone who's taken another's seat or is occupying a seat they didn't pay for? Or asking a passenger to stow bags in accordance with government-mandated safety rules?
SPN Lifer and ARR72 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rickg523
They still seem to have an interest in playing phone police, seating police, baggage placement police, fashion police, and parenting police.
Thank goodness.
IAH-OIL-TRASH, jasonp622 and ARR72 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Don't expect mask policies on UA to get relaxed anytime soon.

The number of unruly passengers on US flights is too high, FAA says, so it's extending a get-tough policy on masking | CNN Travel

The Federal Aviation Administration will extend its stricter enforcement against unruly passengers -- specifically targeting those who disobey masking policies -- after receiving more than 500 reports of misbehaving passengers since December, the agency said Monday.
"The number of cases we're seeing is still far too high, and it tells us urgent action continues to be required," FAA Administrator Steve Dickson said.
The announcement was made as the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said that more people have traveled by air in the last four days than during any other similar-length period during the pandemic.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:18 pm

With more masking crackdown comes even more masking chaos. Pop up a batch of popcorn this this gonna be good!
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Is there something wrong with a FA moving someone who's taken another's seat or is occupying a seat they didn't pay for? Or asking a passenger to stow bags in accordance with government-mandated safety rules?
No more than there's something wrong with a FA enforcing a simple public health initiative and mandate by the airline. Please refer to the comment I was responding to.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Recent flight up front...FA got in my wife's face while passing out snack bags saying "this is how we eat in here.."mask down, bite, mask up, chew, swallow, pause, mask down, bite"....and on and on. It was pretty demeaning sounding that she'd treat someone like a kgartener. I bit my tongue
I did something similar to 4 passengers recently. They'd been "eating" and conversing for over an hour and I'd asked them politely multiple times to wear their masks. Finally, in frustration, I demonstrated to them what the United's policy is since they hadn't seemed to understand multiple announcements and personal requests, and I was getting tired of fielding complaints about them from other customers onboard. Kindergarteners follow the rules much better.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Whyme
I did something similar to 4 passengers recently. They'd been "eating" and conversing for over an hour and I'd asked them politely multiple times to wear their masks. Finally, in frustration, I demonstrated to them what the United's policy is since they hadn't seemed to understand multiple announcements and personal requests, and I was getting tired of fielding complaints about them from other customers onboard. Kindergarteners follow the rules much better.
Maybe YOU were that FA on my flight? Let me know your future routes, I don't want to be on them.
pruss2ny, Drewski5 and X27 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, stonebewan

Single layer (and/or loose-fitting) gaiters are specifically disallowed by CDC rules

Will move this to the thread where there has been some discussion but the key issue is the CDC requirements

UA does not specifically mention gaiters but this thread started with a single layer gaiter being rejected.
I’d say your odds are 50-75% that an FA does not enforce an additional mask if you wear a neck gaiter when flying. My own experience has been about 20% of flight had FAs giving out the free masks to passengers who had them. Best to have a back-up or be prepared to wear a disposable they give you.

I think it’s comical that the UA statement specifically mentions “single layer masks” as being non-compliant, yet almost every mask worn (from what I can tell) is a single flimsy layer of fabric. Neck gaiters are not an exception to that.

Either way though, the FAA should be hounding the TSA not airlines for mask compliance as at that point it’s almost too late. For someone who removes their mask after boarding, that’s a different story.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:41 pm
X27

Your experience is probably unique to United. On an American flight to Hawaii, I saw several passengers in first class that held a cookie in their hand the entire way. They were "eating". Personally, I don't care, I have been immunized and I believe in science.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I think it’s comical that the UA statement specifically mentions “single layer masks” as being non-compliant, yet almost every mask worn (from what I can tell) is a single flimsy layer of fabric. Neck gaiters are not an exception to that..
I had what could be called a "flimsy" mask only because I had it on for several hours of flying with two connections. It was not a surgical but store bought cloth mask. After having the FA ask me several times to pull it up in frustration I just requested a new one from her. Not getting on the FA she was doing what she was suppose to do. But rather than throw a show or argue I was eating and/or vaccinated (I am and had the CDC cert with me) I choose the easy road and just took a new mask from her just to end the issue.
SPN Lifer and X27 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by X27
Your experience is probably unique to United. On an American flight to Hawaii, I saw several passengers in first class that held a cookie in their hand the entire way. They were "eating". Personally, I don't care, I have been immunized and I believe in science.
I would be more worried about eating a cookie that failed to melt after being in my hand for 6 hours

However, I am transitioning to your way of thinking - have my second shot coming up and two weeks after that I won't care so much about non-compliant people, I will probably just pity them.

....but....for the time being, policy is policy and any passenger who is either flaunting the rules or playing funny to avoid them, needs to be shown the exit door.
Cat88L3 and X27 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would be more worried about eating a cookie that failed to melt after being in my hand for 6 hours
I'd be worried about any cookie that melted over any time period.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
any passenger who is either flaunting the rules or playing funny to avoid them, needs to be shown the exit door.
And put on the no-fly list.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2021 at 11:01 pm Reason: Let's stay on discussing UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.