Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
i understand their response-but for flyers in japan as country has been closed for last few years and quarantine is still 10days to 2 weeks then its very hard to fly even if they have promotions..
(and before anyone says anything,the 3day quarantine change from last week for business trips is impossible to use and just for show)
I feel similar from Singapore <> USA quarantine free. Only way to ticket via UA and get PQP is to book full fare SQ Y/J versus a fraction of the cost on SQ directly. (Not able to transit Japan without a 7 day quarantine). I think it would be goodwill to throw us a bone in SE Asia where UA hasn’t started up service yet. Lord knows we’re not taking away CPUs or redeeming PP while being based in a mostly-locked down nation.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
I feel similar from Singapore <> USA quarantine free. Only way to ticket via UA and get PQP is to book full fare SQ Y/J versus a fraction of the cost on SQ directly. (Not able to transit Japan without a 7 day quarantine). I think it would be goodwill to throw us a bone in SE Asia where UA hasn’t started up service yet. Lord knows we’re not taking away CPUs or redeeming PP while being based in a mostly-locked down nation.
I continue to hold out hope that they will extend again, but I am beginning to doubt it will happen. I earned my 1k status flying to Asia and have been supporting them virtually for the last two years. The quarantine requirements make it a non starter for me with my company so it continues to be late night zoom meetings for me. I am hoping I will be able to get there again in 2022, but who knows. Either way extending my status would cost them next to nothing and would certainly ensure I stick with United when I am once again able to travel there.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by trmbn65
Sounds like the unresponsive response. Maybe if you show a decent amount of travel, they will extend? I will be 900 PQP shy or 4 PQF shy of 1K, so I figure they'll probably bump me up.
US-based? I would get the needed PQF to be honest ... they have been handing things out like candy with reduced requirements and promos.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by Quibert
I continue to hold out hope that they will extend again, but I am beginning to doubt it will happen. I earned my 1k status flying to Asia and have been supporting them virtually for the last two years. The quarantine requirements make it a non starter for me with my company so it continues to be late night zoom meetings for me. I am hoping I will be able to get there again in 2022, but who knows. Either way extending my status would cost them next to nothing and would certainly ensure I stick with United when I am once again able to travel there.
A very simple way for UA to tell who needs the extension is just to look at the member's MilagePlus activity. If they haven't booked or credited any flights to the account and did not make use of any of the benefits during the pandemic (e.g. lounge access, baggage, etc.), then it stands to reason they're still grounded and need a boost. However, once they start travelling again with UA/*A they could start the countdown once again. For instance, suppose I start travelling to North America and Europe in March 2022 as an Aussie who has been barred from travelling internationally due to travel restrictions, then UA could simply keep my status through March 2023, and I would have been March 2022 and Dec 2022 to earn the 75% of the PQP requirements necessary to retain my status for the 2023 travel season.

Right now the current scenario is making it real tough on me. QF has given me Gold through November 2022 thanks to a generous status match with my UA Premier Gold I earned, and so now I need to start to planning for next year when I travel internationally who do I book with? If my UA status expires at the end of January, I fail to see the point in travelling with them and other *A carriers given I'll have zero benefits and have to work my way from 0 all over again, whereas with QF I'll have benefits. OTOH if UA were to extend my status another year, I would easily book my travel with them since as a long time elite, I received significant benefit from their program including E+ seating, upgrades and SDCs, the latter of which turned out to be very helpful at trade shows in the US, where I may leave a day early or a day late depending on how things went, and being able to change it gratis was flexibility I haven't seen on other airlines.

-KangarooFlyer88
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
no, you can transit in NRT. I did this many times this year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Quibert
I continue to hold out hope that they will extend again, but I am beginning to doubt it will happen. I earned my 1k status flying to Asia and have been supporting them virtually for the last two years.
If you are in the US, I would put your chances of an extension at close to zero. There were more than enough opportunities to requalify.

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
A very simple way for UA to tell who needs the extension is just to look at the member's MilagePlus activity. If they haven't booked or credited any flights to the account and did not make use of any of the benefits during the pandemic (e.g. lounge access, baggage, etc.), then it stands to reason they're still grounded and need a boost. However, once they start travelling again with UA/*A they could start the countdown once again.

-KangarooFlyer88
Agree, in the case of Australians.
Disagree if the lack of flying is due to choice. Just because someone stopped flying for work, doesnt warrant an extension if they are in the US.
chavala and GlobalServiced like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
based in japan-still 10days -2 weeks quarantine on return
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Originally Posted by willliamjia
no, you can transit in NRT. I did this many times this year.
You can transit in NRT. But will be subject to quarantine as there isn't a VTL to Japan yet and the NH flight to SIN is not a designated VTL flight.
There is no meaningful non-quarantine United option at this time.
Would support a further extension for Southeast Asia based Premiers.
AeRoSpaceman and Oshkosh105 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:05 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So Nov 30 is almost over, the end of the Fly to the Finish promo.

Are we going to get word on 2023 qualification requirements in the next couple of weeks?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exp
So Nov 30 is almost over, the end of the Fly to the Finish promo.

Are we going to get word on 2023 qualification requirements in the next couple of weeks?
I suspect Omicron means they will wait as long as possible - they have no incentive to make an announcement - then walk it back if necessary.
ContinentalFan and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
Thank you for contacting us with your concerns regarding your Premier status.

I understand that you, like so many others, have faced travel limitations over the past 2 years due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

While we have not extended Premier status for 2022, we have introduced a number of ways to help you qualify for status in 2022, starting with lowered qualification requirements for all Premier levels. In January 2021, members who ended 2020 with Premier status were given a PQP deposit equal to 25% of what they would need to requalify for the 2022 program year. We also launched our first Premier promotion, giving members the opportunity to earn bonus PQP with their first three PQP-eligible trips in Q1 2021. In April we launched our Pick Your Path promotion, which provided members the choice to earn fixed trip-based PQP bonuses, or be awarded a lump sum PQP deposit. Additionally, in August we made it easier to qualify for Premier status by launching our Fly to the Finish offer, which runs until November 30th. You can check out more details about this offer at www.united.com/flytothefinish.

United will be proactively reviewing all accounts between December and January to see if there are opportunities to offer additional qualification allowances before we determine your final 2022 Premier status.

We encourage you to check your progress towards Premier Status qualification for 2022 on mystatus.united.com, which will reflect activity from your flights as well as any promotional PQP you may have earned. We will confirm your 2022 Premier status by email when qualifications are complete.
Is the display in my record / app delayed? I (unexpectedly) got the "you've requalified for Premier Gold status through January 2023" email last week, but the card image is still showing as through 1/22. The email says I qualified through the "fly to the finish" offer.

Last edited by milepig; Dec 1, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Is the display in my record / app delayed? I (unexpectedly) got the "you've requalified for Premier Gold status through January 2023" email last week, but the card image is still showing as through 1/22. The email says I qualified through the "fly to the finish" offer.
card should update at some point. Probably just app hasn’t ‘seen’ the update (these things can take time to update all the systems).

one thing to try is to log out and back into the app - that typically will refresh things to the most current. If that doesn’t update, the card is probably not updated in the backend yet.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:59 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Well countries have tightened or are considering tightening travel restrictions because of Omicron.

Guess that means UA and other airlines will wait to see what next year looks like, at least the first quarter before announcing status qualification terms. They have to see if Omicron is more transmissible and/or able to breakthrough much easier than Delta. They also have to see how Europe and North America makes it through the current winter wave, which is almost entirely Delta. Though we may know in a couple of weeks if Omicron starts to gain in infections relative to Delta.

Gosh darn it!
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by exp
Well countries have tightened or are considering tightening travel restrictions because of Omicron.

Guess that means UA and other airlines will wait to see what next year looks like, at least the first quarter before announcing status qualification terms. They have to see if Omicron is more transmissible and/or able to breakthrough much easier than Delta. They also have to see how Europe and North America makes it through the current winter wave, which is almost entirely Delta. Though we may know in a couple of weeks if Omicron starts to gain in infections relative to Delta.

Gosh darn it!
I find it very interesting that the only airline that has kept a COVID safe policy when it comes to status qualification for 2022 in the US was Delta air ways. There's literally a variant of concern named for them and yet they did the right thing!

The One, The Only,
-RooFlyer88
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: United
United not giving extensions unfair to loyal Australian customers.

I am a many times 1k, Million Miler, loyal United customer. Prior to Covid I had earned 480 Plus Points.
I am an Australian and I recently received this response to a request for an extension of my hard earned Plus Points..."there will be no extension on the current PlusPoints. To be fair to members who have earned new PlusPoints this year, the expiration date on the PlusPoints is not being extended for anyone"

BUT as United is perfectly aware flying out of Australia has not been permitted since March 2020 without a special emergency permit for which I and almost no one was eligible.
Also United cancelled all of its flights from Melbourne, Victoria to the USA.
Travel between states in Australia has not been permitted. Even if I could have obtained an emergency permit to travel, I was not allowed to travel to Sydney NSW, the only place from which United provided limited flights.
The new rules are clearly very unfair to any of Australian customers. The special situation of Australian customers needs to be responded to.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 3, 2021 at 1:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.