Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I understand - but given the overall circumstances, it is unclear what you expect and how you think that UA can provide that?
Personally, most of my travel has been domestic - and have needed to cancel several international trips due to inconsistent and evolving international policies.
for me, the benefits of 1k are beyond the alcohol on board.
1) Special check in at Denver airport (my hub) - which I think are also at their other hubs
2) The 800 number and 1kvoice for help with issues - especially changing flights
3) I am more likely to get a comp upgrade even without using PP - and the seats that I want (even though many of my flights are very crowded)
4) The bonus miles and PQP for their promotions
5) I find the attendants are more appreciative than in the past (although I thought they were good in the past)
6) Not too keen on the current snacks and meal choices (hot sandwiches on a 2.5 DEN-ORD flight is nice)
7) I have many cc club certificates that expire each year - yes, the clubs need work

I miss some of the international perks (inc the polaris lounges)......
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll say status has become mostly irrelevant to my ticket purchase decisions. I look first at schedule and seating, then at price. Pretty much evenly spread among UA, AS, and DL, with occasional AA. I do not find that status has much if any impact on my actual travel experience right now. I like flying DL best (even though that's where I have lowest status), with AS close behind. UA is meh and my AA experiences have not been very good (worst FAs by a mile, overcrowded T4 at PHX).
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I've logged over 150K miles, mostly on UA, since the pandemic begin. I've seen the measures that the carriers are taking. I've assessed the risks impartially and have come to the conclusion that it is safe to fly. It's certainly safer to fly than to go to a Target or Walmart, where half of the people have their noses out of the mask, thus completely eliminating any potential protective effect. Just yesterday, I was in a Walmart in the self-checkout line and saw a police officer, of all people, with their nose out of their mask!

There is exposure risk out there, just not in air travel.
The travel issue isn't just what the airlines or aren't doing - it's what happens when you land. Can you visit another business or can you enjoy the vacation with things operating differently.

So the question for United is when those other things change do they want to bring back the previous elites or leave them as free agents?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'll say status has become mostly irrelevant to my ticket purchase decisions. I look first at schedule and seating, then at price. Pretty much evenly spread among UA, AS, and DL, with occasional AA. I do not find that status has much if any impact on my actual travel experience right now. I like flying DL best (even though that's where I have lowest status), with AS close behind. UA is meh and my AA experiences have not been very good (worst FAs by a mile, overcrowded T4 at PHX).
Why do you prefer DL currently?

They do seem a bit better organised and consistent.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
... overcrowded T4 at PHX).
What is it w/ AA and T4s? AA at T4 at LAX is also a high-density zoo during normal times.
J_Stroming, Kacee and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Why do you prefer DL currently?

They do seem a bit better organised and consistent.
Most consistently professional and welcoming service, great SkyClubs at PHX, SEA, SFO, SLC (which I can access with Amex Plat). Plus the seat blocking which is a huge plus for me. The limited inflight service is a negative, but that's not so important to me as it may be to others.

If UA were not flying E75s SFO-PHX with a really good schedule I wouldn't be flying them at all.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Most consistently professional and welcoming service, great SkyClubs at PHX, SEA, SFO, SLC (which I can access with Amex Plat). Plus the seat blocking which is a huge plus for me. The limited inflight service is a negative, but that's not so important to me as it may be to others.

If UA were not flying E75s SFO-PHX with a really good schedule I wouldn't be flying them at all.
Which brings up the point for most frequent flyers.

Schedule and route will override nearly anything else when you need to be there at a certain time.

Cost is a secondary issue, but if a cheaper flight makes me wait 3 hours at a connecting airport, I will pass it by if a direct flight at the same time is available. (I realize that others think just the opposite).
Kacee and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just a reminder, the thread topic is "Will/should UA do further status extensions? Such as for Intl elites unable to travel". Let try to stay close to that topic.

If there is a desired separate discussion -- Such as "Does status matter or worth pursuing?" or ???, there can be a new thread on that topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently I haven't formulated an opinion if UA should extend status. I am leaning towards no but with reduced thresholds.
J_Stroming likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2021 at 12:29 pm Reason: Editted per Moderator note
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
The longer the lockdowns and restrictions persist, such as Hawaii and CA and all international travels, the less I'm interested in status extension. I have not really been able to enjoy benefits of 1K since returning from Barcelona March 2020. With LT *G status and now a leisure traveler, 1K is of lower value if I can't get upgraded IAD-SFO/LAX anyway, and if I focus more on international travel and look at reasonable Business Class fares, especially non UA *A partners. When I was researching airfares to PVG for the fall, UA fares were astronomical ($5K for Economy and $16K for Business), whereas LH can get me from IAD to PVG for less than $5K for Business and BR from LAX is about $4K. I would never have considered searching outside of UA for when I was traveling international on business, because of corporate travel policy. The current situation has offered me options I never realized.

If UA does not extend status, then I can forget about trying to qualify for 1K in the future.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by drewguy
The travel issue isn't just what the airlines or aren't doing - it's what happens when you land. Can you visit another business or can you enjoy the vacation with things operating differently.

So the question for United is when those other things change do they want to bring back the previous elites or leave them as free agents?
Just to be clear, 95% of my 150K last year was for business. UA doesn't really need to do anything for me to keep me on their flights as an elite, since I made the decision back in MAR '20 to buy F, if possible, other than offer me the lowest price and a good routing without excessive transit times. I will fly F on the cheapest carrier with the best routing, having flown both AA (30K+) and DL last year, and Kacee's assessment is spot-on. DL is the best and UA and AA are about equal. I don't perceive the specialness of 1K at all any more other than priority boarding. Honestly, I like AA's boarding sequence better, where paid F boards just after Concierge Key. I can never use my PlusPoints for domestic UG (and I try for every flight) and I haven't flown international since MAR '20. Honestly, DL's treatment of me as a no-status, paid F, flyer is superior to UA's. IRROPs handling has been outstanding with DL. Unfortunately, DL rarely has a competitive price for me.

Both Kacee and I have to fly a lot for business, and both of us now shop based on price, comfort, and minimum transit time. UA has already lost us as loyal customers. There will be no getting us back...unless UG availability improves. Extensions of status don't matter if status doesn't actually improve your flying experience.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 5, 2021 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
The longer the lockdowns and restrictions persist, such as Hawaii and CA and all international travels, the less I'm interested in status extension. I have not really been able to enjoy benefits of 1K since returning from Barcelona March 2020. With LT *G status and now a leisure traveler, 1K is of lower value if I can't get upgraded IAD-SFO/LAX anyway, and if I focus more on international travel and look at reasonable Business Class fares, especially non UA *A partners. When I was researching airfares to PVG for the fall, UA fares were astronomical ($5K for Economy and $16K for Business), whereas LH can get me from IAD to PVG for less than $5K for Business and BR from LAX is about $4K. I would never have considered searching outside of UA for when I was traveling international on business, because of corporate travel policy. The current situation has offered me options I never realized.

If UA does not extend status, then I can forget about trying to qualify for 1K in the future.
High fares to China from the US on nonstop flights were not unique to UA. There were a lot of factors making the comparison to connecting flights from US-Germany-China a bit skewed.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
High fares to China from the US on nonstop flights were not unique to UA. There were a lot of factors making the comparison to connecting flights from US-Germany-China a bit skewed.
I am aware of the capacity restrictions on flights into China and thus the high fares by US based airlines. However, this forced me to look at options and I like the options much better than UA, even if fares are comparable. Originating from RIC means I have to connect, usually 2 stops on UA, so it would be no more complicated if I drive to IAD for LH or pre-position to LAX for BR (which has the best Business Class of those options).
Old Feb 6, 2021, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I'm from the USA and I live in east Asia. Prior to covid-19 I was flying internationally on average about 1x per month. Almost all of my Asia-USA travel was on UA, and most of my intra-Asia travel was on *A partners. Averaged about 160k BIS miles annually.

Haven't been on an international flight since 2/20 for many reasons, primarily the impracticality traveling with the current international restrictions and the resulting potential of being stranded away from home and unable to return.

No idea when I'll be able to fly the friendly skies again, but when I can, a further 1K extension would sure help me choose to stick with UA.
ThorHermes and gcashin like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
No idea when I'll be able to fly the friendly skies again, but when I can, a further 1K extension would sure help me choose to stick with UA.
I'm genuinely curious why someone in your situation would find 1K without Plus Points a better option than one of the Asian carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.