Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
maybe that is the painfully tragic answer - give everyone "double diamond studded royal global services" (with a cherry on top) to all - polaris lay flats on a first come first served with Dom and caviar all around and endless PP that never expire.... just good luck trying to use any of them.

from what people are saying - if you have status and the PP then it is probably easy to upgrade internationally since the capacity is wide open anyhow and if you cant travel, even UA giving you free tickets and a Maybach to pick you up and wisk you past security, immigration, and security, won't let you in or out of Aust, Asia, etc without having to sell a kidney and pray for a negative COVID test and quarantine.

it is interesting to follow this thread and the one about how hard it is to use PP and get upgrades these days

sigh
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Airbus_Retard
How about recognizing those of us who have been traveling more than ever in 2020 and 2021. Qualifying for 1K under the previous requirements in 2020 and 2021 should not go unnoticed.
If UA doles out extensions, hopefully they'll parse earners and non-earners within each Premier level for CPUs and instrument upgrades. Example - qualifying 1K on a T fare ahead of a 1K extendee on H fare.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll keep my "prediction" simple: earners will get to rollover all existing PPs.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
I'll keep my "prediction" simple: earners will get to rollover all existing PPs.
And maybe extra for those that actually spent $15k. I don’t believe they will complicate upgrade lists further than they already are
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If UA doles out extensions, hopefully they'll parse earners and non-earners within each Premier level for CPUs and instrument upgrades. Example - qualifying 1K on a T fare ahead of a 1K extendee on H fare.
I think we both know the degree to which that lines up with UA's IT capabilities.

I agree that it would be great to differentiate those who earned vs. extended, though. Either rollover points or a bigger headstart on 2023 status (e.g. if you qualified for 1K, get an extra 3750 PQP next year on top of anything UA offers), or perhaps an extension of all PP (if any are unused?). I know these aren't super-exciting benefits but feel they're more aligned with UA's IT capabilities.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
I think we both know the degree to which that lines up with UA's IT capabilities.
Yeah not at all.

I'd like to see UA ditch fare class entirely and move to an AA style rolling 12 month PQP prioritization.

Of course that would still mean dying at number 4 behind the GS rather than number 11 behind GS and 1K.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Let me spitball something here for us lowly leisure silvers , or at least fliers below 1K. If you requalified this year, give a certain amount of PQP towards your next level. Or do away with the PQF requirement (not the 4 minimum UA metal). I wouldn't be against them rolling over the PQPs to next year though, depending on the starting point.
ContinentalFan, am1108 and Merolis like this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by sannmann
Assuming United extends current status, what if it were to allow folks that qualify for 1K this year to convert some of their PlusPoints to PN-eligible PlusPoints? Would reward the folks that qualify under the current conditions.
I think yours is a much better idea than mine. If the airline allowed me to extend the points only if I requalified through flying, I’d find ways to hit whatever spending goal they wanted (within reason).
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
My sense is that many 1k flyers have little interest in more pp
especially with expiration dates, many go unused - unless there is some other use case for them?

give me anything but more pp…..
uanj and chavala like this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
If they want more people to re-earn status, they need to help with PQFs. Fares are so high these days, you can hit 1K PQD spending with a half dozen flights. 36 PQFs is hard for the transcon flyer, and puts unnecessary strain on the domestic hub network if one tries to force connections. 2x PQF should be a part of the next promotion...
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Then why would they need more PQF? They hit 1K as it is! (Per your logic)

And they don’t want more people to have status. They just don’t want to lose heavy premium fare flyers to comp

I'm squeezed between these scenarios so need either a very strong 2H PQP promo OR relief on PQF. This year is 100% domestic and almost entirely personal; even though I'm in global role at global company, even most domestic travel is on hold for rest of year. I'm sitting at 12,000 PQP but only 20 PQF with another 8 PQF planned in Q3. Gets me to 28 PQF. To go for the 15k spend, I actually need 5k more spend because 2k of my current total is from Chase Club Card spend and does not count for pure PQF qualification. So I won't make it on 5k more PQP unless there is a very strong promo. On other hand, I'm only 1,500 off 13.5k PQP with 36 PQF. My next 2 planned trips if I upgrade just about gets me there but my gap then is remaining 8 PQF I'll be short. So really interested to see what promos emerge and if they help close the gap to either path to 1K.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That’s a lot of 1K/Platinum/Gold/Silver members to say goodbye too, not counting the impact of JV revenue with NH.
Agreed. For many of us who rely on international business travel and OPM, there is zero chance we will hit even a reduced EQM or EQP or whatever it is called now for 2021. It is basically zero except for domestic travel which is so cheap that it probably doesn't even add up to silver status anymore. Plus for many of us domestic leisure is split among other carriers depending on routing, fares, upgrades, etc.

DL was smart to acknowledge reality and incentivize loyalty (to the extent it still exists) among its elites. The longer UA delays, the more advance bookings it may lose to defections.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agreed. For many of us who rely on international business travel and OPM, there is zero chance we will hit even a reduced EQM or EQP or whatever it is called now for 2021. It is basically zero except for domestic travel which is so cheap that it probably doesn't even add up to silver status anymore. Plus for many of us domestic leisure is split among other carriers depending on routing, fares, upgrades, etc.

DL was smart to acknowledge reality and incentivize loyalty (to the extent it still exists) among its elites. The longer UA delays, the more advance bookings it may lose to defections.
Agree with above except for the cheap fare part. Domestic fares have been expensive since like May?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
My take: Qualifying 1K on any fare ahead of a 1K extendee on any fare. And ditto for other tiers.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't think UA is delaying the extension. I think there is just no extension. Many elites are flying. On my recent several hub-to-hub flights, group 1 was like almost half the plane and this lowly gold was like #25 - 30 on the UG list.

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Agree with above except for the cheap fare part. Domestic fares have been expensive since like May?
Yes, definitely my experience as well. However, F fares have gone down and become more affordable to some leisure travelers. Hence WFBF is becoming more popular.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:28 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
The prices I'm seeing for my travel (once or twice a month) are low enough that making it to Plat or 1K is impossible even with the boost. Not sure where all the high prices are being seen, but it could be because I'm in a AA/SW hub.

Unless there is a promotion beyond just extending status I'll stop after renewing Gold and maybe start giving Alaska or AA credited to Alaska a bit more attention. It'll be nice not needing to fly through SFO to get to Irvine
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
My take: Qualifying 1K on any fare ahead of a 1K extendee on any fare. And ditto for other tiers.

I don't think UA is delaying the extension. I think there is just no extension. Many elites are flying. On my recent several hub-to-hub flights, group 1 was like almost half the plane and this lowly gold was like #25 - 30 on the UG list.
Agreed on first point. Totally disagree on 2nd. Yes I have too seen long upgrade lists, but what we don't know in those is if elites are just mostly traveling domestically for leisure, finally go see Grandma on reasonably low fares. There aren't many buying B class coach fares last minute on a transcon for $1200 for business/OPM. UA could choose to drop tons of elites or keep them via extensions and promos to hope for a better future of biz travel that is now already being pushed back further 'cause of the Delta variant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.