Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be a little bit surprised if there's a blanket extension, given that UA has put more into constructing (re)qualification promotions than DL has. But I will be watching with curiosity. The GS extension might've been a harbinger, but it also might have been the first move and the one to which DL responded, so to speak.

Aside —

Originally Posted by DELee
Panic.

David
You're finding great use for this post.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33420010-post138.html
Originally Posted by DELee
Panic.

David

[clip]
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Delta has just extended everyone's status for another year til January, 2023:

News at delta.com:
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends...dallion-status

Discussion:
Delta extends medallion status through '22 Medallion year

I guess, United will quickly follow then
I don't think UA has a choice. I guess it's only a matter of when and not if UA will extend status. Good job DL for putting pressure on UA!
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by seanp7
UA would have to do something more than reducing thresholds to reward those who have attempted to re-qualify this year (and/or remained loyal to UA), and my point is I can't see anything simple they would do (PlusPoints?), so rolling over makes the most sense. An extension alone is not enough given the rebound this year and return to travel (all up in the air now with numbers rising, countries closing, etc).
Rollover certainly better rewards people who flew this year than lowering thresholds for everyone. Yes, it means that some people will have huge PQPs next year (if rolled over) because they may already have 1K level PQPs to roll. But that's probably better than cutting the qual levels for everyone else - just give those fliers a bunch of extra PPs.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
UA would have to do something more than reducing thresholds to reward those who have attempted to re-qualify this year (and/or remained loyal to UA), and my point is I can't see anything simple they would do (PlusPoints?), so rolling over makes the most sense. An extension alone is not enough given the rebound this year and return to travel (all up in the air now with numbers rising, countries closing, etc).
UA didn't provide just an extension this year:

1) UA lowered qualification requirements
2) UA provided multiple promotions to help members earn PQP faster

To the best of my knowledge, no US FFPs have ever rolled over spending portion of annual qualification, but hey if UA wants to be the first, be my guest...I would probably re-qualify 1K by January with 4 flights (min. segment); already have almost $18K PQP with an actual spend of around $6K (and I haven't flown UA since mid-May).
Xyzzy, seanp7, mechteach and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Rollover certainly better rewards people who flew this year than lowering thresholds for everyone. Yes, it means that some people will have huge PQPs next year (if rolled over) because they may already have 1K level PQPs to roll. But that's probably better than cutting the qual levels for everyone else - just give those fliers a bunch of extra PPs.
I think an extension with rollover is the way to go, and I would accept a lower position on the upgrade list relative to other 1Ks at my fare level, it's not like those are clearing with any regularity anyway. Just continue my status and give me a head start on next year because there is just too much uncertainty this year. I did my 3 tickets to get the booster, and I have my Italy trip planned for Oct, and if things continue to open I might make it to Asia before 12/31 - so there is still a chance to qualify naturally, but if things overseas remain closed and my Italy trip ends up getting pushed to next year, then I think it's reasonable and fair to give people in my situation a carry over into next year with a chance to try again.
rankourabu and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fumje
You're finding great use for this post.
"The Sky(Miles) are falling! The Sky(Miles) are falling!"

David
Zorak likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Repooc17
To the best of my knowledge, no US FFPs have ever rolled over spending portion of annual qualification, but hey if UA wants to be the first, be my guest...
AA did rollover 4Q 2020 activity into this year.
Doppy and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
As a GS who still hasn't flown yet since February, and every attempt to fly being canceled left and right due to COVID issues, I appreciate Delta's move to make 2021 another wash year for all frequent flyers. I am sure UA will quickly match.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As a GS who still hasn't flown yet since February, and every attempt to fly being canceled left and right due to COVID issues, I appreciate Delta's move to make 2021 another wash year for all frequent flyers. I am sure UA will quickly match.
UA has already announced an extensin for GS members to 2023.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
UA has already announced an extensin for GS members to 2023.
I'm sure he got the memo on that, and is just wishing the rest of us peasants will get an extension as well
Old Jul 27, 2021, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As a GS who still hasn't flown yet since February, and every attempt to fly being canceled left and right due to COVID issues,
Since February 2020 or February 2021?

David
Old Jul 27, 2021, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
If someone isn't commercially important to United in 2022, because they're not flying, then they're also not going to affect anybody who is flying.

The point of frequent flyer programs -- given that we appear to be back in an era of 85% load factors -- is to serve as golden handcuffs to try to get people to pay more to fly their airline than they would to fly a competitor. UA will take whatever steps they feel will help with that goal.

As for long upgrade lists -- the reason that CPU%s are dropping is that people are paying for F, it's not due to big hordes of newly-minted Premier travelers. That's not likely to change, either -- airlines have gotten increasingly good at pricing F.

And if you're 10th on the list now, what difference does it make if there are twice as many Premiers? So now you're 20th instead of 10th; you're in E+ either way.
With millions of GS and tens of millions of 1Ks, even if they are only flying a small percentage of the normal qualification amount, they are a huge percentage of the flyers at hubs.

I agree about people buying more F tickets outright lowing CPU percentages, but the fact that 1Ks are nowhere near the top of the list suggests that the ranks are already bloated, despite the supposed inability of high spend GSs and 1Ks to fly that people claim.

Right, reducing thresholds next year does nothing to incentivize travel on UA now or reward those who requalify for whatever level. If it's a blanket extension with no incentives for travel this year, then it might make more sense to move travel for the rest of the year to another airline to pursue a higher status given the promos elsewhere. Either that, or I'll do the smart thing and burn miles.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Doesn’t UA marketing and MP just copy and paste anything Delta does anyway?
Based on the incentive programs UA put in to start the year and the one that ended today, I think the answer to your question would be...... no they don't.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Doesn’t UA marketing and MP just copy and paste anything Delta does anyway?
Naw. They copy and screw up the paste. Example: the shift to PQPs/PQFs was started as a copy of what Delta was doing and then UA really showed how to make it more screwed. And now both UA and the MP members are really screwed.

David
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
With millions of GS and tens of millions of 1Ks, even if they are only flying a small percentage of the normal qualification amount, they are a huge percentage of the flyers at hubs.
Your numbers are off by at least an order of magnitude, possibly two.

I agree about people buying more F tickets outright lowing CPU percentages, but the fact that 1Ks are nowhere near the top of the list suggests that the ranks are already bloated, despite the supposed inability of high spend GSs and 1Ks to fly that people claim.
A few anecdotes does not a full picture paint. I've been 30th on the upgrade list, pre-COVID, for a 20-seat cabin, checked-in full; my overall CPU rate was over 50%. Fewer people bother to write in and say "hey, I cleared again."

The truth is, we're jamming approximately the same total number of passengers into many fewer flights to fewer destinations. That doesn't really relate much to what will happen if they're able to transition back to a normal schedule.

Right, reducing thresholds next year does nothing to incentivize travel on UA now or reward those who requalify for whatever level. If it's a blanket extension with no incentives for travel this year, then it might make more sense to move travel for the rest of the year to another airline to pursue a higher status given the promos elsewhere. Either that, or I'll do the smart thing and burn miles.
Which is certainly your right, and which I'm sure some people will do -- although I've never really understood the mindset that you should stop flying your preferred airline because you've reached the top status tier. You'd think that either (a) they were the best choice for your flights anyway or (b) you'd want to keep choosing them to take advantage of that status level.

The truth is, UA will probably match DL, because UA always matches DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.