Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't expect UA to continue to rollover my status, but I do hope the 2x PQP will be extended throughout the year or at least Q3 of this year as any flights I may be able to take are limited still.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Agreed blanket extension without rollover for this year's earn would not be fair to those who took advantage of the 2x PQP promo. On the other hand, people like myself who cannot even fly due to (unreasonable?) travel restrictions and will probably continue to be unable to fly for most of this year will unfortunately need UA to extend or have further promotion to have any shot of keeping status. It's hard to please everyone here, I remember someone mentioned extension based on individual cases / location, but there are pitfalls there too.
That's why I would suggest a soft landing or Q1 2022 challenge to retain status. If you're still not traveling a year from now, then you probably aren't a HVF that United needs to worry about. (Assuming COVID is under control by the end of the year, which seems likely for developed countries at least.)

Originally Posted by kilo
One would assume that your current flying is for no other purpose than to attain status.
True, but people make various decisions based on the programs - flying UA vs AA, upgrading to a higher fare class, etc. If the airlines didn't think the programs changed behavior, they wouldn't have them.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kilo
... I nevertheless agree that those who fly this year should get more recognition if there is an extension. It will encourage the behaviour I reference in my previous paragraph - which would be good for the airlines. Carrying over earnings into the following year as AC will do is quite reasonable. Hilton Honors did this last year.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't mind extensions considering the circumstances, I just think fliers who have continued to do so (and putting money in UA's pocket) should be above those who haven't (extendees) for upgrade purposes. Example - a 1K who is 1K via extension should be behind 1Ks who have qualified normally, but ahead of all Plats. They still get the perks of status.
UA already recognizes those who have flown this year, they are the only ones that can earn new PlusPoints -- that is a significant benefit. Messing further with the upgrade prorirty is just going to make a complex system much complex -- more prone to misunderstanding, confusion and potentially errors.

Unless UA wants to abandon its past elites and release them to the free market, a bad idea and no one in their right mind would suggest that route, UA needs a way to have those elites remain connected to UA. Such as extending status (but not providing new PlusPoints if they have not flown).

An issue is what about the extended PlusPoints, should they be extended again. This is a tricky area balancing the benefits for those that have flown recently and the adhesion of those you have not flown. One comprise could be is to extend those older PlusPoints a bit but not a full year. Say April 2022? Enough to retain the preCOVID crowd but not so much to discourage those that did fly and did earn new PlusPoints

Remember UA's goal is to get as many elites as possible back in the air on UA metal. This means finding the right comprise -- but if disappointing 1 flyer who has flown in 2021 but getting back 5 who did not, that choice is clear.

So agree those who have flown should be recognized and PlusPoints seems to be a reasonable way to handle without adding new complexities.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Unless UA wants to abandon its past elites and release them to the free market, a bad idea and no one in their right mind would suggest that route, UA needs a way to have those elites remain connected to UA. Such as extending status (but not providing new PlusPoints if they have not flown).
Where would those elites go? Free agency, start anew in a different program? And what if AA\DL doesn't extend status? People leave will UA for 'greener pastures' as will AA/DL elites. Lose some and gain some. From my experience on FT, the majority of the "I am leaving UA.." crowd never leaves or returns because the other pasture wasn't that much greener.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TomMM
Where would those elites go? Free agency, start anew in a different program? And what if AA\DL doesn't extend status? People leave will UA for 'greener pastures' as will AA/DL elites. Lose some and gain some. From my experience on FT, the majority of the "I am leaving UA.." crowd never leaves or returns because the other pasture wasn't that much greener.
I think a safe play for many, assuming no UA extension (or won't wait for announcement), is to match away and fly as little as possible this year, then next year match back to UA (however, 1K status isn't usually granted via a status match)
rankourabu likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA already recognizes those who have flown this year, they are the only ones that can earn new PlusPoints -- that is a significant benefit. Messing further with the upgrade prorirty is just going to make a complex system much complex -- more prone to misunderstanding, confusion and potentially errors.
This x1000. There's simply no way UA could do this properly.

Originally Posted by kevflyer
I think a safe play for many, assuming no UA extension (or won't wait for announcement), is to match away and fly as little as possible this year, then next year match back to UA (however, 1K status isn't usually granted via a status match)
Match with what?

You might be able to get DL to match you based on 2019 travel (but, why, if you're flying 'as little as possible'?). But UA isn't going to match you based upon your matched DL status. To get a status match, you normally have to show a log of qualifying flights, not just "I have this status."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
This x1000. There's simply no way UA could do this properly.

Match with what?

You might be able to get DL to match you based on 2019 travel (but, why, if you're flying 'as little as possible'?). But UA isn't going to match you based upon your matched DL status. To get a status match, you normally have to show a log of qualifying flights, not just "I have this status."
Using DL as example, you'd still need to fly the required MQM/MQS+MQD within 3 months to retain Medallion status (not talking their elevated challenge because that's separate). So yeah you cant just match to DL in say December, don't fly at all, and then ask UA to match you back in January. That won't work 100%. What I meant was one could match to DL, fly what's required to retain Medallion status beyond the 3 months, then next year you can ask UA to match (so yes you will have a log of qualifying flights, and yes, it says they won't match statuses granted via promotional offer, but I know that's a YMMV thing)
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:24 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Do the recent high traffic volume for spring break make it less likely UA and the other US3 airlines will extend status again?

Is it realistic to expect that people can qualify only with domestic flights?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Do the recent high traffic volume for spring break make it less likely UA and the other US3 airlines will extend status again?

Personally I don't think so with low business travel and cheap domestic ticket prices. And with international travel heavy reduced / nonexistent for some destinations due to travel restrictions some just can't go where they need / want to go, another debate debate is should international elites be treated differently this year.
gcashin likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Right, and elite qualification has usually meant benefits for the *following* year (yes, if you are a new flier or flying more you may acquire or increase status in-year). As things stand now, only people flying/qualifying in 2021 will get at least this benefit. It's really *only* CPUs that seem directly affected this year through last year's extension, and might be next year through another extension. Meanwhile, anyone flying this year as an elite has gotten a massively increased benefit through easier CPUs from reduced elite competition for those seats.

As to extending plus points further, seems similar to me. If you earned more you have more to spend. And most people haven't been spending them this year because of easy CPUs and no international travel. So any requalifier this year would have additional plus points next year, assuming they didn't already use them and get the benefit.
kilo likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't mind extensions considering the circumstances, I just think fliers who have continued to do so (and putting money in UA's pocket) should be above those who haven't (extendees) for upgrade purposes. Example - a 1K who is 1K via extension should be behind 1Ks who have qualified normally, but ahead of all Plats. They still get the perks of status.
One argument UA could put forth in your example is the 1K who earned it has 280 PP to use to secure valued upgrades ahead of the "via extension" 1K. Certainly I have a bunch of PP but spent $3000 this quarter on premium cabin fares and as a result am very close to earning 1K for 2022 (and another 280 PP).
Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Wine -
While what you say is true - if they are using PP as the "reward" or "incentive" for actual flying (or spending $$$) vs extending benefits then that really does not help much - especially those elites who want to use them.... Specifically, I know that some people have gotten good use of their PP - but I find that when I try to use them, it might bump me from 8th to 6th on an upgrade lists and hence it is rare that they are usable for upgrades vs the complementary upgrades......in other words, the more you need or want to use them, the less likely they are to be useful....although I am just speaking for domestic as I have not done any international travel.....

-m
Old Mar 31, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum

An issue is what about the extended PlusPoints, should they be extended again. This is a tricky area balancing the benefits for those that have flown recently and the adhesion of those you have not flown. One comprise could be is to extend those older PlusPoints a bit but not a full year. Say April 2022? Enough to retain the preCOVID crowd but not so much to discourage those that did fly and did earn new PlusPoints

Remember UA's goal is to get as many elites as possible back in the air on UA metal. This means finding the right comprise -- but if disappointing 1 flyer who has flown in 2021 but getting back 5 who did not, that choice is clear.

So agree those who have flown should be recognized and PlusPoints seems to be a reasonable way to handle without adding new complexities.
United has clearly shown some willingness to balance both sides of this. Obviously those who flew last year (and do so this year) will get PlusPoints. I did zero revenue flying last year and still received a new batch of PlusPoints this year (on top of my extended expiration PlusPoints from last year) as a (it would seem not universal) GS bonus.

I imagine within United right now there is a chorus within MP advocating that it's better to extend status again and capture as much flying from former elites as possible on United over the next year as individual travel behavior and business travel timelines will vary widely. On the flipside a separate set will be advocating that this year will be a test of new go-forward loyalty near-term and given that travel frequency and loyalty over the next 2 years will likely vary significantly from previous business-driven trends, you'd rather this new set show you where loyalty is driven to understand how to adapt the program to that customer base. The biases of the executives, and how cogent either sides' arguments are will likely drive the decision (or should I say this behavior within Delta will drive it as any decision there is likely to be copied by UA ).
Old Mar 31, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by exp
Not if most OPM flying continues to be grounded, especially international.
Dyce likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 3:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
..... I did zero revenue flying last year and still received a new batch of PlusPoints this year (on top of my extended expiration PlusPoints from last year) as a (it would seem not universal) GS bonus. ...
Does not appear this was an universal GS gesture and certain not for 1Ks -- so of limited impact to this discussion, although you benefited. GS is a level where money talks and all else is a not issue. Earned status has primarily been the focus of this discussion.

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
..... or should I say this behavior within Delta will drive it as any decision there is likely to be copied by UA ).
This overused cliche is mostly a FT invention. Yes UA looks at it competitors, but during the past year UA has acted first many times ( and other times AA or DL) and much the shine has worn off DL due their lagging inflight service

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.