Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?

Old Mar 18, 21, 7:18 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: DM 3.5MM, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by tommm View Post
huh?
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88 View Post
correct and historically ua (and any airlines for that matter) treated their international elites differently than domestic travellers. Case in point, pre-pandemic, if you were not based in the us, your status would be based on purely the number of miles flown (e.g. Pqm) whereas those based domestically would need to spend so many dollars and fly so many miles to earn the same status. Regardless of what one may have thought about the prior program's requirements, ua recognized that their elites had different travel patterns and tailored the program accordingly. Even to this day, the new ua program provides favourable treatment for us foreign elites by providing milage based pqp accrual when we fly alliance partners like sq or nh.

My sense is at a minimum they will likely divide things up like that again with international members receiving another waiver for this year, and perhaps domestic elites receiving a further reduction in the number of pqps they need to earn status. Something i think even those at ua would agree is that now is not a good time to travel. Border restrictions are constantly changing, there are testing requirements, quarantine requirements, poor onboard service and on-ground service (e.g. Polaris lounge) due to the current restrictions. Nevermind the fact that route networks are constantly changing meaning that the ticket you booked for a particular destination may no longer be valid because an airline pulled out of a market.

The silver lining to all of this is travel will rebound, and those airlines that survive will more than make their money back. Does anyone on this forum honestly believe that once this pandemic is over, everyone will still be sitting on the ground? We've gone over a year with conferences and tradeshows cancelled, business meetings postponed, some of us haven't seen our relatives in over a year. We'll see a surge in travel the likes of which we haven't seen in decades and with the limited number of pilots and birds available for service, fares will go through the roof. Ua and the airlines may be losing money now, but they shouldn't make any decisions about elite status based on this short-term bizarre situation we find ourselves in. The real test of elite status will be how we respond once things have opened up.

-'roo
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 18, 21, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by Christefan View Post
Since international UA elites don't have the PQP requirements to worry about, they can fly *A partners to earn status miles as long as they meet the 4 segments required on UA metal, which should not be an issue to archive in the second half of 2021.
huh?

And PQP wont be an issue for me with partner flying.
I get 800+ PQP on a $250 domestic Canada ticket.

For those in Europe/Asia, especially those high spend OPM fliers who would choose United in the past, take away their status, and their OPM spend goes elsewhere when work flying picks up in 2022.

Last edited by rankourabu; Mar 18, 21 at 7:30 am
Old Mar 18, 21, 7:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Based on your info, you spend about $450 per segment (9000 PQPs / 20 PQFs = 450 PQPs/segment) which is above average for a domestic segment unless you fly routes where UA has no competition. This would qualify you for UA Gold for 2022 based on UAs reduced qualification matrix.
The actual out-of-pocket cost per segment is likely lower given the double PQP promotion and goodwill PQP deposit.
Old Mar 18, 21, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
​​​​​​​
correct and historically ua (and any airlines for that matter) treated their international elites differently than domestic travellers. Case in point, pre-pandemic, if you were not based in the us, your status would be based on purely the number of miles flown (e.g. Pqm) whereas those based domestically would need to spend so many dollars and fly so many miles to earn the same status.
You did take note of 'pre-pandemic' correct? Which was the old program. PQP scheme came into affect Jan 2020 for all elites.
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mileage programs are not based upon what's fair. They're not based upon loyalty. With the exception of the lifetime program, they're not based on how much revenue you've given UA in the past.

The only thing that matters is what UA perceives a customer's value will be in the future. UA will do whatever they feel is best for UA. In practice, that's likely to be "whatever DL and AA do for their customers."

This thread has devolved into an endless debate about whose business is more valuable, with the same tired arguments where people almost invariably end up arguing for whichever metric would benefit them the most.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, kilo and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Why end the program. Or for that matter cut off GSes who used to fly but stopped because of COVID? How much does it cost UA to give the status to people who don't use it?
It costs very little for such wallet candy -- and if it encourages booking on UA vs. another carrier or vs. not booking at all it's a net win for UA.

Because it's considered a slap in the face to the ones that do fly and earn their status by spending money with UA. I will qualify for 1K for 2022 by flying this year and still end up behind GS non-flyers on the upgrade list. Where is my incentive to spend my money with UA?
You may consider it a slap in the face, but in the end MP is a marketing program. UA cares about "what have yu done for me lately?" vs. what customers may consider fair.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Mileage programs are not based upon what's fair. They're not based upon loyalty. With the exception of the lifetime program, they're not based on how much revenue you've given UA in the past.

The only thing that matters is what UA perceives a customer's value will be in the future. UA will do whatever they feel is best for UA. In practice, that's likely to be "whatever DL and AA do for their customers."

This thread has devolved into an endless debate about whose business is more valuable, with the same tired arguments where people almost invariably end up arguing for whichever metric would benefit them the most.
And the thought that UA or any FFP owes anything to anybody who cannot fly is not realistic.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and SAPriorityTag like this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
And the thought that UA or any FFP owes anything to anybody who cannot fly is not realistic.
That's correct -- but, equally unrealistic is the thought that UA should prioritize people that have been able to fly if they believe the people who aren't currently flying will be more profitable for them moving forward.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
That's correct -- but, equally unrealistic is the thought that UA should prioritize people that have been able to fly if they believe the people who aren't currently flying will be more profitable for them moving forward.
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately itís a good for some bad for others situation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately itís a good for some bad for others situation.
Which pretty much describes... you know... life.

Regards
Old Mar 18, 21, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
After seeing firsthand a packed HNL on Monday night - a very crowded SFO Tuesday morning - a completely sold out SFO-LAS flight on a Tuesday - and Vegas Wednesday crowds looking pre-pandemic, I'm turning my thoughts to travel is going to come back quicker than I expected and status extensions won't be happening. I see a busy leisure season coming up and business leaders beginning to get more open about onsite sales and consulting opportunities. All we need is a handful of well known businesses to blink and say they will resume business travel this fall/winter for others to blink.

As far as international elites, I suspect their aren't that many - but it really depends on what UA thinks. They may think international elites will fly UA again because if another airline was so wonderful they probably would have been flying with them anyway.
Old Mar 18, 21, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
After seeing firsthand a packed HNL on Monday night - a very crowded SFO Tuesday morning - a completely sold out SFO-LAS flight on a Tuesday - and Vegas Wednesday crowds looking pre-pandemic, I'm turning my thoughts to travel is going to come back quicker than I expected and status extensions won't be happening. I see a busy leisure season coming up and business leaders beginning to get more open about onsite sales and consulting opportunities. All we need is a handful of well known businesses to blink and say they will resume business travel this fall/winter for others to blink.
I agree. Q1 is supposed to be the lowest travel quarter, along with the pandemic, but I am seeing packed flights even in locked down states. Every widebody flight I have taken from CA (at least twelve of them or more so far this year) has been full or relatively full, with UG/standby waitlists getting longer and longer. I may miss my first CPU upgrade to LAS from EWR on an upcoming flight; F is almost completely occupied.
Old Mar 18, 21, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
... Anyway, this thread is about UA extending status for their international customers, who currently have no access to the United network, and even if they wished so, they cannot spend money to fly United, whether OPM or not.
The discussion of this thread has been far more generalized than the original case -- that happens on FT
The limitation on international travel has negatively impacted many elites that travel for work.
Christefan likes this.
Old Mar 18, 21, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Which pretty much describes... you know... life.

Regards
And if elite status is the most pressing issue in life for people they should consider themselves blessed.

As far as international elites, I suspect their aren't that many - but it really depends on what UA thinks. They may think international elites will fly UA again because if another airline was so wonderful they probably would have been flying with them anyway.
I am thinking the same. Hopefully within a couple of months we should have some idea of INTL travel requirements.
Old Mar 18, 21, 2:24 pm

Programs: CO Gold
go ahead.......make my day

Search this Thread