FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   More COVID test options for UA flyers: More hubs same day testing (SFO+DEN, IAH, EWR) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2033191-more-covid-test-options-ua-flyers-more-hubs-same-day-testing-sfo-den-iah-ewr.html)

WineCountryUA Jan 27, 2021 9:54 am

More COVID test options for UA flyers: More hubs same day testing (SFO+DEN, IAH, EWR)

In the recent UA announcement about Hawaii COVID preclearance was

United is also making it easier for customers to obtain approved COVID-19 test options with the expansion of mail-in tests to customers no matter where in the U.S. their travel originates. The airline will notify customers in advance of their Hawaii trip to let them know what testing options they have locally. Last year, United also teamed up with XpresCheck to open additional same-day testing facilities for United customers in select airports. XpresCheck currently has locations open in United's Denver terminal, and expects to open additional locations in United's terminals in Houston and Newark in the coming weeks. Customers who choose to take a test with XpresCheck can schedule an appointment online for a rapid molecular test on the same day as their travel. Walk up appointments are also available on a first come, first served basis.
COVID-19 testing for United travelers

Use this tool to find test locations (worldwide)

Guate87 Jan 27, 2021 10:51 am

IAH needs same day testing, especially because of the large number of daily flights to and from Mexico. Mexico has a massive number of Covid deaths.
Spring Break is coming up and many thousands of pax will be flying to Mexican beach towns.

Doppy Jan 27, 2021 11:46 am

Originally Posted by United PR
United is also making it easier for customers to obtain approved COVID-19 test options with the expansion of mail-in tests to customers no matter where in the U.S. their travel originates.

What does this mean? How are they "expanding" mail-in tests?

tcdtcd Jan 27, 2021 11:52 am

What about home town ORD?

WineCountryUA Jan 27, 2021 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 32998341)
What does this mean? How are they "expanding" mail-in tests?

presently it is limited to travel via certain hubs / destinations

fumje Jan 27, 2021 11:55 am

I think there is already same day testing at ORD.

https://www.flychicago.com/business/...s/ordtest.aspx

(Usual caveats about types of tests, etc.)

safari ari Jan 27, 2021 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Guate87 (Post 32998205)
IAH needs same day testing, especially because of the large number of daily flights to and from Mexico. Mexico has a massive number of Covid deaths.
Spring Break is coming up and many thousands of pax will be flying to Mexican beach towns.

Maybe I'm missing something, how does this help at all for Intl travel to get back into the country. Unless you're going for <3 days, you need a same day test at your Intl destination, not the outbound airport.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 27, 2021 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 32998631)
Maybe I'm missing something, how does this help at all for Intl travel to get back into the country. Unless you're going for <3 days, you need a same day test at your Intl destination, not the outbound airport.

This is geared at those who need testing for their destination prior to their U.S. originating flight. Nothing else.

WineCountryUA Jan 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari (Post 32998631)
Maybe I'm missing something, how does this help at all for Intl travel to get back into the country.....

UA has also posted this link for returning (and departing) travelers

dcsnowwake Jan 27, 2021 2:03 pm

This is a step needed if the administration says you need a negative test prior to domestic which is now being discussed.....

Guate87 Jan 27, 2021 2:55 pm

I take weekend beach trips to Mexico and the Carribean out of IAH, so it would help weekend trippers like me. I have also taken weekend trips to Hawaii, Japan, Alaska and other locations now or soon requiring testing.

This will also help with my weekly domestic trips if the new admin mandates testing for all commercial flights.

I would use the same test for departure, arrival, and return because I usually go for only one, two or three days.

Doppy Jan 27, 2021 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32998367)
presently it is limited to travel via certain hubs / destinations

I still don't know what the announcement means. I get that they have a program with ADL health, but it's not any special deal, and anyone who lives anywhere in the US going to Hawaii can use Costco/AZOVA or Vault for mail-in testing at the same price.

WineCountryUA Jan 27, 2021 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 32999215)
I still don't know what the announcement means. I get that they have a program with ADL health, but it's not any special deal, and anyone who lives anywhere in the US going to Hawaii can use Costco/AZOVA or Vault for mail-in testing at the same price.

Agree for Hawaii there is nothing new as far as mail-in but it does appear UA is going to provide each traveler with information where they can get tested locally, believe that is new.

Also the website reports, this is not just a Hawaii program -- it refers to mail-in program also for the UK, Canada,Latin America and the Caribbean.

Have no additionally information, just reading what is on the website

Hawkeyefan Jan 27, 2021 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Guate87 (Post 32998205)

Not anymore for risk of getting stuck down there.

1P Jan 28, 2021 5:27 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32998686)
UA has also posted this link for returning (and departing) travelers

Most of the locations United shows near me provide tests that take up to 120 hours to come back — useless if you need one done within the previous 72 hours. :(