Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The Hawaii "Safe Travels" program ends on March 25, 2022. For more information, please see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-state-hawaii-safe-travels-program-ends-march-25-2022-a.html

Wristband access
Most UCs
EWR: C104
IAD:
ORD: 7/17 UC@B16, gate@C16 || 7/29 not avail at UC@B6, yes avail at gate@B16
IAH: E7
DEN: online screening/verification then B34 or club
LAX: T7 customer service desk, around the corner from 70A
SFO: F15/16; Designated desk pre-security at Door 3.
SNA: Opposite Gate10

United Makes Hawaii Travel Easier with Expanded COVID Testing and Pre-Clearance Program

Customers traveling to the islands can save time by showing proof of negative tests at United's hub airports and skip document screening process in Hawaii

CHICAGO, Jan. 27, 2021
Beginning February 1, United customers traveling to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 test can show their results before boarding to save time and skip document screening lines upon arrival. The new pre-clearance process will be in place for customers traveling on 110 of United's weekly flights to Hawaii.

United is also making it easier to get the right tests to avoid Hawaii's 14-day quarantine by making approved COVID-19 tests available to all customers traveling to the islands no matter where in the U.S. their travel begins.

"We're making it easier for customers traveling to Hawaii to spend more time enjoying their trip and less time waiting in lines," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "Testing is the key to opening domestic and international travel so we'll continue to lead the way in rolling out solutions that are simple and safe so our customers have what they need when they take their next trip with us."

To begin the pre-clearance program, customers will enroll in Hawaii's Safe Travels program and complete Hawaii's COVID-19 questionnaire within 24 hours from departure. Next, customers will use the Safe Travels website to upload their negative test results from one of Hawaii's trusted testing partners which must be taken within 72 hours of their departure. At the airport, customers will see a United team member at the gate for their flight to Hawaii where they will receive a wristband if they qualify to bypass airport screening in Hawaii. Customers who have been pre-cleared will be able to skip test screenings in Hawaii and begin their trip as soon as they land.

For images of United's pre-clearance program click here.
COVID-19 testing for United travelers

Print Wikipost

UA's Hawaii preclearance at all UA hubs: questions, experiences, ... New Process DEN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Are they still doing HI pre-clearance/wristbands, or has the process changed. We’re doing SFO-OGG next week, and looking to know what to expect. It’s our first time to HI.

also, we’re on the 9am flight, and can anyone provide a ‘what to expect’ summary and best times to do this if it’s still running. What time does that desk open for this? Or will they be able to do it at the check in desk? We’d like to spend some time at Amex lounge prior to flight (we won’t have UC access), so trying to figure out the best way to navigate. I’d guess at boarding time isn’t ideal, since there will probably be the biggest crowd/longest wait then? So I’m thinking if it’s open earlier, we can go to the area to have it done, then go to lounge, then back to gate.

also, will there be anything to upload to TRC at/prior to checkin? I don’t see a greyed out ‘upload’ option like I did for my flight to Canada in October, so I’d guess they don’t want docs there?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are they still doing HI pre-clearance/wristbands, or has the process changed. We’re doing SFO-OGG next week, and looking to know what to expect. It’s our first time to HI.

also, we’re on the 9am flight, and can anyone provide a ‘what to expect’ summary and best times to do this if it’s still running. What time does that desk open for this? Or will they be able to do it at the check in desk? We’d like to spend some time at Amex lounge prior to flight (we won’t have UC access), so trying to figure out the best way to navigate. I’d guess at boarding time isn’t ideal, since there will probably be the biggest crowd/longest wait then? So I’m thinking if it’s open earlier, we can go to the area to have it done, then go to lounge, then back to gate.

also, will there be anything to upload to TRC at/prior to checkin? I don’t see a greyed out ‘upload’ option like I did for my flight to Canada in October, so I’d guess they don’t want docs there?
Safe travels program still in effect. Wristband needed to avoid Hawaii arrival procedures. Wristbands distributed near F16. They're pretty efficient, but I'd get wristband first then backtrack to lounge. Need to download and populate safe travels app w/ flight and vax or test info
SPN Lifer and emcampbe like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 3, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Safe travels program still in effect. Wristband needed to avoid Hawaii arrival procedures. Wristbands distributed near F16. They're pretty efficient, but I'd get wristband first then backtrack to lounge. Need to download and populate safe travels app w/ flight and vax or test info
thanks. I definitely am aware about Safe Travels (and I think I saw required to have Aloha Safe contract tracing app for OGG), just wasn’t sure if preclearance was still going on. Any idea what time there is someone at the desk for wristbands?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Any idea what time there is someone at the desk for wristbands?
I'm usually on a late morning or afternoon flight, so don't know when they start staffing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD

Went to OGG on the 9am flight Oct 2. Its easier to get your wrist band at the station next to the checkin location. We were there about 7 or 7:15. Checked my golf bag, then went immediately to the Hawaii clearance station. Two workers, one customer, so no line. But it seemed like half a dozen arrived before we were through, which didn't take anywhere near 10 minutes total for two. We had our vax status in CLEAR, tied into the Hawaii Safe Travels site. So you can direct to the Amex lounge.

In 3 trips to Hawaii during Covid, the crowd seems to be about an hour before departure. But remember UA has 4 flights to Hawaii all departing in a 30 or so minute window around 9am, so that is 800 or so people who need to do the Hawaii Safe Travels checkin at about the same time.

Upload to TRC? Not sure what you are asking about.
emcampbe likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I have read on FlyerTalk previously that the UA Travel Ready Center (TRC) is for international flights only.
mathgeek1978 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Does anyone have any pre-clearance (wristband) experience at the LAX UC that you would like to share. We will be on the first morning flight out. Any comments or insights will be appreciated.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:02 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Does anyone have any pre-clearance (wristband) experience at the LAX UC that you would like to share. We will be on the first morning flight out. Any comments or insights will be appreciated.
Check the non-club wristband location first, just to left up the escalators after TSA. If there’s a line, go to the club.
mathgeek1978 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Is there Pre-clearance (wristband) desk @ EWR? I will be checking in @ 7:00AM ,flight @ 9:05AM. Thank you
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Anybody done preclear at DEN recently? Does it take longer to get it at the club than before the closure of East?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Check the non-club wristband location first, just to left up the escalators after TSA. If there’s a line, go to the club.
That's a good idea. Thank you! I think I know where it is... I should be walking toward the direction of terminal 8, right?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I will add - at least for HNL, if you don't get a wristband it isn't a big deal - they are way overstaffed to check documents when you land - and now that American finally does pre-clear you are very unlikely to have a line at all.
SPN Lifer and mathgeek1978 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Went to OGG on the 9am flight Oct 2. Its easier to get your wrist band at the station next to the checkin location. We were there about 7 or 7:15. Checked my golf bag, then went immediately to the Hawaii clearance station. Two workers, one customer, so no line. But it seemed like half a dozen arrived before we were through, which didn't take anywhere near 10 minutes total for two. We had our vax status in CLEAR, tied into the Hawaii Safe Travels site. So you can direct to the Amex lounge.

In 3 trips to Hawaii during Covid, the crowd seems to be about an hour before departure. But remember UA has 4 flights to Hawaii all departing in a 30 or so minute window around 9am, so that is 800 or so people who need to do the Hawaii Safe Travels checkin at about the same time.

Upload to TRC? Not sure what you are asking about.
Glad to know there's one next to checkin...I wasn't sure if it was only at the gate. Yes, I will do it there. Was planning on arriving a little earlier then 7, only because I'm not sure how late I can cut it and get into Amex without waiting...we were there at 6:45 or so a week ago, and it wasn't that busy, but we left at 7:30 and they were taking names at the door.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I have read on FlyerTalk previously that the UA Travel Ready Center (TRC) is for international flights only.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure....generally, there are no requirements domestically. Have used TRC for Canada, and worked fine for me. Also, with HI wristbands being 'voluntary' but Safe Travels being mandatory, just wasn't sure if there was a way to 'pre-clear' via TRC. I guess not, which is fine, just wanted to see if there might be a way.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:09 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
That's a good idea. Thank you! I think I know where it is... I should be walking toward the direction of terminal 8, right?
Yes, opposite direction of the club and very close, shoved in a corner. Up escalator, left, and it’s on your right:

mathgeek1978 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
ORD

I did preclearance in UA Club near B6. Agent upstairs doesn't arrive until 7:30. No line; took a minute to snap the QR code and check my ID. When I went to B17 about 10 minutes before boarding started, the preclearance line at B17 & B18 was about three gates long and didn't get any shorter while I was waiting to board. We left late due to waiting for some passengers; I suspect they were still doing preclearance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.