Survey Received - Tell us about Polaris

Old Jan 26, 21, 9:49 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Survey Received - Tell us about Polaris

Received a pretty lengthy survey this morning about my previous Polaris experiences over the last 18 months. A few highlights:
- Asked what other airlines business class I'd flown, then for each given free-form text field to say what I did and didn't like
- Was given a most/least ranking, choose 2 of 6 - with some of the usual service elements listed, but some other things that aren't part of Polaris too (heated/cooled seats, individual air purifier at seat), meals were mentioned on almost every one of the 8 comparisons
- A deep dive into the amenity kit was also done, asking about each product
- A preference on what I'd consider a "trusted brand" - corporate responsibility, sustainability, etc.

As we know, these surveys rarely lead to any major changes, but this one had some really odd things on it.
nexus7556 and cesco.g like this.
Old Jan 26, 21, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
As we know, these surveys rarely lead to any major changes, but this one had some really odd things on it.
So how did you rate UA Polaris vs other airlines? Did you provide specific examples that UA should compare itself against?
Old Jan 26, 21, 11:59 am

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
Got it as well, lots of interesting options, like ability to combine two seat to one bed, face to face dinning, in seat noise isolation, free wifi, etc.
Old Jan 26, 21, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
I've flown AF, CX, AA, QR, and NH in the past 18 months and rated them all better than UA. The survey asked what I liked most about each of these airlines and what I liked the least. Open-ended questions that will take time for them to digest. Among the most likes were: better and more consistent service, better meals, larger seats/area, better wines, etc.

As mentioned by the OP, some product elements are not in the Polaris seats - and I can't imagine they will be replaced for quite a while. Maybe the elements were to compare what Polaris already has versus what other leading (e.g., QR) airlines have -- although some of them I don't think any airline has, such as an in-seat air purifying system or noise-cancellation system.

Some of the questions also focused on the importance of branded products, as well as famous chef-inspired entrees.

I did like some of the meal questions, such as how we wanted to receive our dinner (all at once during service, all at once on demand, restaurant style, etc.).
Old Jan 26, 21, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I got the survey too. I havent been on an intl vacation in 10 months, and havent flown Polaris in 11 months since our vacation in Japan in February. Its hard to even remember what it used to be like anymore

Had to be careful not to select anything that United may perceive as "customer driven" service reductions. Seemed like they were fishing for that.
EWR764, gcashin and cesco.g like this.

Last edited by rankourabu; Jan 26, 21 at 6:20 pm
Old Jan 27, 21, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
This was an odd one. Some questions were structured around what you found least valuable about Polaris, but the options were all the good things. Also it was strange to be asked whether I got info from “the mainstream media”.
Old Jan 27, 21, 8:13 am

Business Class Reimagined, hahahaha. And whatever happened to the Flyer Friendly tag line? Was that dropped after Dr Dao?
Old Jan 27, 21, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver, United Club, AA Gold, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
I've flown AF, CX, AA, QR, and NH in the past 18 months and rated them all better than UA. The survey asked what I liked most about each of these airlines and what I liked the least. Open-ended questions that will take time for them to digest. Among the most likes were: better and more consistent service, better meals, larger seats/area, better wines, etc.

As mentioned by the OP, some product elements are not in the Polaris seats - and I can't imagine they will be replaced for quite a while. Maybe the elements were to compare what Polaris already has versus what other leading (e.g., QR) airlines have -- although some of them I don't think any airline has, such as an in-seat air purifying system or noise-cancellation system.

Some of the questions also focused on the importance of branded products, as well as famous chef-inspired entrees.

I did like some of the meal questions, such as how we wanted to receive our dinner (all at once during service, all at once on demand, restaurant style, etc.).
this is what I really like about QR, its not a "eat now" mentality. The eat whatever course you want at any time and almost unlimited it seems.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The pre-packaged food option sounds ˋyummyˋ.
Old Jan 27, 21, 4:43 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
Received a pretty lengthy survey this morning about my previous Polaris experiences over the last 18 months. A few highlights:
- Asked what other airlines business class I'd flown, then for each given free-form text field to say what I did and didn't like
- Was given a most/least ranking, choose 2 of 6 - with some of the usual service elements listed, but some other things that aren't part of Polaris too (heated/cooled seats, individual air purifier at seat), meals were mentioned on almost every one of the 8 comparisons
- A deep dive into the amenity kit was also done, asking about each product
- A preference on what I'd consider a "trusted brand" - corporate responsibility, sustainability, etc.

Got it as well and thought the same thing
Old Jan 27, 21, 6:03 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djmp View Post
This was an odd one. Some questions were structured around what you found least valuable about Polaris, but the options were all the good things.
What nice things can we cut next without you minding? Gotta love UA.
Old Jan 27, 21, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not get it. I guess my number one comment would be that it's been like a decade and they still haven't replaced all the old Polaris seats yet, so maybe they could try that?

In-seat noise cancellation sounds really interesting, could be a nice addition on top of the headphones, if it works.

In-seat air purification seems unlikely to do anything. There is already a ton of airflow on a plane and it's hard to see how another filter is going to make any difference unless they do some serious engineering to create some kind of air cocoon.
Old Jan 27, 21, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E50, Marriott Titanium
I got it as well, so seems like it may have gone to 1K and GS. Yes, lots of it was about the soft products and it definitely felt like they may have been fishing for ways to cut some elements that may be low ranked ("customers have told us they don't want a 5 course meal; customers told us they don't want a full amenity kit".)

For the free-form section, my main comments were that it's now over 4 years since the launch of Polaris (announced ~Jun 2016 and launched Dec 2016) and they still don't have a consistent seat product. The 789 is currently the workhorse of the overseas fleet and the vast majority still don't have the newer Polaris seats. Also added some comments that the food/wine has degraded since the original Polaris launch (meals no longer plated in galley).
EWR764, mrt88 and artvandalay like this.
Old Jan 28, 21, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
What nice things can we cut next without you minding? Gotta love UA.
Flyer Friendly!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: