Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs situation re Israel closing down air travel eff 1/25/21

UAs situation re Israel closing down air travel eff 1/25/21

Old Jan 24, 21, 1:49 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 10,686
UAs situation re Israel closing down air travel eff 1/25/21

With multiple daily UA flights into Tel Aviv this must be a blow to the already weak TATL market for UA.
There might be also stranded UA flyers being affected by this. Hopefully Israel will be able to open up again soon.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/israe...vid-19-strains
cesco.g is offline  
Old Jan 24, 21, 5:43 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 83
Israel closes airport until end of January

Israel will shut down TLV from Jan. 25 to 31. Restrictions include new immigration and a temporary suspension of Israeli airlines' licenses.

From the Jerusalem Post on Sunday, Jan. 24:

Ben-Gurion Airport will completely close until the end of the month starting Monday at midnight. The cabinet approved the decision in a meeting on Sunday.
Interestingly, United hasn't issued a travel waiver to Israel or canceled any of its flights this week. Because some travel will be permitted (e.g., attending a funeral, participating in legal proceedings and receiving medical treatments), will United keep these flights?

Last edited by Wyfind; Jan 24, 21 at 7:30 pm Reason: Fix typo in title: >> end of << January
Wyfind is offline  
Old Jan 24, 21, 6:18 pm
  #3  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,025
Originally Posted by Wyfind View Post
... will United keep these flights?
Flights for cargo will likely continue and we'll have see if UA will allow any passengers -- probably working on that right down. UA has had cargo only TLV flights in the past.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 24, 21, 6:40 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 4,074
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Flights for cargo will likely continue and we'll have see if UA will allow any passengers -- probably working on that right down. UA has had cargo only TLV flights in the past.
They won't be allowed to carry any pax.
Ban is also very likely to be extended.
ctownflyer is online now  
Old Jan 24, 21, 6:49 pm
  #5  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,025
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Flights for cargo will likely continue and we'll have see if UA will allow any passengers -- probably working on that right down. UA has had cargo only TLV flights in the past.
They won't be allowed to carry any pax.
Ban is also very likely to be extended.
Presently none of the TLV flights are cargo only. But if any are converted to Cargo Only, those would not permit passenger. Will any of the flight remain passenger carrying for those few allowed to travel ??? The problem is just 1 passenger then the flight would required a full compliment of FAs and no cargo in the passenger compartment. That will set a high bar for passenger flights.
If ban is expanded to include cargo flights that will create additional issues
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 24, 21, 7:05 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 4,074
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Presently none of the TLV flights are cargo only. But if any are converted to Cargo Only, those would not permit passenger. Will any of the flight remain passenger carrying for those few allowed to travel ??? The problem is just 1 passenger then the flight would required a full compliment of FAs and no cargo in the passenger compartment. That will set a high bar for passenger flights.
If ban is expanded to include cargo flights that will create additional issues
I can't imagine there will be enough life and death exception pax to make it worth it for UA to carry pax. Those cases will have to charter their own flights.
Cargo only isn't going to be banned.
Auto Enthusiast and JPG3392 like this.
ctownflyer is online now  
Old Jan 24, 21, 7:25 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
TLV traffic is only a small percentage of UA's TATL traffic. But, nonetheless, cargo is often more profitable than passengers. And it rarely complains about the food.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 21, 8:03 pm
  #8  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 7,081
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
TLV traffic is only a small percentage of UA's TATL traffic. But, nonetheless, cargo is often more profitable than passengers. And it rarely complains about the food.
Or why it and its family of 6 didn't get upgraded.

David
DELee is offline  
Old Jan 25, 21, 10:38 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington, D.C.
Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Posts: 4,697
They also had a major mask issue on a recent flight. Not likely to encourage crews to want to fly TLV with pax..
Alpha Golf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: