Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA2327 LAS →IAH goes MX, "3hr Delay", All Pax Punted, then Ghosts Empty to IAH. SOP?

UA2327 LAS →IAH goes MX, "3hr Delay", All Pax Punted, then Ghosts Empty to IAH. SOP?

Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Are FAs required on ferry flights, similar to staffing on cargo-only flights?
Originally Posted by clubord
Ferry flights only require the minimum cockpit crew, F/A not needed.
Although they might have brought FAs so they could continue their line with the same flight crew, or if IAH was their base and this was their last flight.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are FAs permitted to fly on ferry flights when there's a MX problem?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
Although they might have brought FAs so they could continue their line with the same flight crew, or if IAH was their base and this was their last flight.
The F/As flight time, duty, and rest rules are much less restrictive than those for pilots. That results in the F/As flying completely different trips than us. It is unusual for us to fly more than one leg with the same F/As unless the flight is a turn, i.e. IAH-LAS-IAH where we keep the whole crew.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are FAs permitted to fly on ferry flights when there's a MX problem?
That depends on the reason for the ferry flight. Some are simply no passengers. Others are required crewmembers only.

I don't know why they decided to ferry the airplane instead of fixing it in LAS. I do know that they made the decision because it was the best decision based on the details of the situation.
cesco.g, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by emcampbe
On another note, I remember one time several years ago getting on a UAX short hop (probably CVG-ORD), and at boarding, figuring out my tray table latch wasn't working properly at boarding - it was loose or something and the tray table was unlatching occasionally and without me touching it. I was trying to make a connection somewhere of relative importance, and I think it was already delayed, and didn't want to affect the other 70 people (or whatever) on board. Rather then alert the FA right away and have something like this happen (or more likely, a call to maintenance with an additional not minor further delay), I held it up myself to make sure it wouldn't unlatch until after take off, then alerted the flight attendant when we were in the air so it could be fixed on the ground.
Very smart, and what I do as well.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Are FAs required on ferry flights, similar to staffing on cargo-only flights?
I understand cargo loaded in the pax areas of the aircraft require FAs to be on the flight in case there are any issues. Because cargo-safety equipment (e.g. smoke detectors, fire suppression devices etc) as found in the belly/cargo-area is not present in the pax cabin. Some experts might chime in with more details.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:05 pm

I don't understand the mystery here, everyone originally booked on this flight was accommodated on other flights and so by the time it left (after a repair) there were no passengers left. The aircraft needed to be repositioned back to IAH and therefore flew out empty. If it was a maintenance ferry the flight number would have been changed and the revenue flight number canceled.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

another strange cancellation: 25-Jan UA425 SFO-EWR

Hopefully no one minds this being turned into an omnibus strange cancellation thread. (Sorry, couldn't find a dedicated one.)

Tomorrow's 425 SFO-EWR is cancelled due to 'schedule disruptions caused by high wind gusts in San Francisco.' But flights scheduled for about the same time are all still going out for IAH, LAX, ORD. And the forecast is windy but not amazingly so for tomorrow (wind advisory ends at 10a, FWIW).

Any insights?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Tomorrow's 425 SFO-EWR is cancelled due to 'schedule disruptions caused by high wind gusts in San Francisco.' But flights scheduled for about the same time are all still going out for IAH, LAX, ORD. And the forecast is windy but not amazingly so for tomorrow (wind advisory ends at 10a, FWIW).

Any insights?
High winds at SFO can cause flow control limitations limiting the number flights per hour. Hence some flights cancelled and others operating.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
High winds at SFO can cause flow control limitations limiting the number flights per hour. Hence some flights cancelled and others operating.
I wouldn't have thought it an issue with schedules what they are now, but I suppose that must be it.

Usually they nix the small flights first. Perhaps these days, SFO-EWR is a 'small' flight (and/or easiest to recover from).
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Never seen this before - was booked on UA2327 IAH → LAS, took a MX delay, got the heads up from UA around 7am (good job on that UA - ultimately saved me a trip to the airport).
I‘ve encountered this with UX flights.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: UA-˝K
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect that this is exactly what happened. There are a number of conditions (e.g., no working lavatory) that could prevent a plane from being certified for passenger travel but do not inhibit safe operation of the plane.
Back in the day when US Air was around, they switched planes three times on us due to MX issues. The last plane when it arrived 10+ hours late, it could not take on any water - so it flew full of passengers from PHL to LAX with no working toilets. They brought cases of water on board and told the passengers to empty a bottle in the bowl after doing their business and flush.

I didn't shed a single tear when they left the Star Alliance.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I don't understand the mystery here, everyone originally booked on this flight was accommodated on other flights and so by the time it left (after a repair) there were no passengers left. The aircraft needed to be repositioned back to IAH and therefore flew out empty. If it was a maintenance ferry the flight number would have been changed and the revenue flight number canceled.
This... they probably just reaccomodated everyone on UA 2106 that departed first at 1:34 PM with plenty of empty seats itself.

And if OP got the delay notice from UA at 7 AM central, that means United knew the plane had an issue really early in the morning, so probably never even boarded a passenger or bag on 2327 at all.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The needed expertise or materials were not available at LAS? Some cargo was time critical tand there was no other way to get the cargo to IAH in time?

There probably a number reasons and we will never know unless a UA employee looks it up and reports

apparently UA thought that was the best solution
I can shed some light on this. Tech-Ops noticed an issue on the overnight walk-around. The delay was originally coded as TP (stocked part). Turns out, there wasn’t a part, the delay code was changed, and the plane flown somewhere else for service.
cesco.g, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 5 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.