Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 21, 6:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 21, 9:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by donjo View Post
After ticket purchase, when offered to upgrade to first for $XX, does that upgrade purchase count toward premier qualifying points?
Yes. New since 2020.
SPN Lifer, donjo and Guate87 like this.
Old Apr 19, 21, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by donjo View Post
After ticket purchase, when offered to upgrade to first for $XX, does that upgrade purchase count toward premier qualifying points?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes. New since 2020.
As a caveat, PQPs earned from paid upgrades (and many other ways to earn PQP) are specifically excluded from status challenges.

Only PQP earned for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges count toward this offer. PQP earned from Economy Plus® seating, Economy Plus subscriptions, preferred seat purchases, MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays, paid upgrades, promotional PQF or PQP, and/or credit card PQF or PQP do not count toward this offer.
donjo likes this.
Old Apr 19, 21, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Do I earn PQPs from buying wifi either onboard or online?
Old Apr 19, 21, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Do I earn PQPs from buying wifi either onboard or online?
As UA states
The following purchases earn PQP:
  • Base fare + surcharge
  • Economy Plus® seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
  • Flights ticketed and operated by our Star AllianceTM partners
Not listed, does not earn PQPs
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
I bought a pair of United Premium Plus tickets for JFK-LAX back, paid with TravelBank from P2's account + remainder put on credit card. I think these are better known as Economy Plus tickets. Travel is for early June.

Now, it doesn't look like we will be using these tickets as we are looking to fly out of a different city where UA does not serve. I am asking for advice on how to best recoup my funds.

* Can I ask for a refund back to TravelBank and my credit card (original methods of payment)?
* If not, would they all go back to my TravelBank or something similar? When would I have to use it by?
* If I can only change my itinerary and not get a refund, do I have to fly JFK-LAX route or can I use the credit as I see fit later? Do P2 and me have to fly together for this itinerary
* Does P2 have to call in? Can I do this online?

Thank you!
Old Apr 21, 21, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happychic View Post
I bought a pair of United Premium Plus tickets for JFK-LAX back, paid with TravelBank from P2's account + remainder put on credit card. I think these are better known as Economy Plus tickets.
Premium Plus and Economy Plus are two different products. Premium Plus is a separate class of service with its own type of seat. Economy Plus is a regular economy seat but with extra legroom.

It matters for the purpose of this discussion, because Economy Plus seat selection fees are refundable.

* Can I ask for a refund back to TravelBank and my credit card (original methods of payment)?
Nonrefundable tickets cannot be refunded to the original form of payment unless there's a qualifying reason, such as a UA schedule change that was inconvenient enough (two-hour change in departure or arrival time).

* If not, would they all go back to my TravelBank or something similar? When would I have to use it by?
You'd get Future Flight Credit that can be used by the original passengers. I believe the current restriction is that you must fly by one year from the original purchase date.

* If I can only change my itinerary and not get a refund, do I have to fly JFK-LAX route or can I use the credit as I see fit later?
If you haven't flown any part of the ticket, you should b able to use it as you see fit, except that you will likely not be able to use it for a Basic Economy seat (United's "no-frills" fare that doesn't include a carry-on or seat selection).

* Does P2 have to call in? Can I do this online?
It can be done online. P2 does not need to call; anyone with the PNR and last name of one of the travelers can make these changes.
happychic likes this.
Old Apr 21, 21, 9:58 pm

@jsloan Thank you for the speedy and super helpful response! More follow up questions, if you do not mind.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Nonrefundable tickets cannot be refunded to the original form of payment unless there's a qualifying reason, such as a UA schedule change that was inconvenient enough (two-hour change in departure or arrival time).
I understand JFK-LAX is a new route for UA after deciding focusing on EWR is not the direction they want to pursue anymore. Do you think a cancellation or major schedule change is likely by then? Should I wait to cancel as early June is still several weeks away and hope for a full refund?

You'd get Future Flight Credit that can be used by the original passengers. I believe the current restriction is that you must fly by one year from the original purchase date.
Would FFC be in P2's account only or would it be split evenly between my and P2's accounts? Anyway I can extend the FFC expiration date?

It can be done online. P2 does not need to call; anyone with the PNR and last name of one of the travelers can make these changes.
P2 will be very happy to hear this. Whatever makes him happy makes me happy too

I have expiring credits from JetBlue and Delta that I need to use by next year due to travel being. canceled back in 2020. Having more expiring airline credits tied to a specific airline is really not ideal for me at the moment. I know, first world problem and all, but at the moment, it feels like a problem nonetheless.

Thank you again!
Old Apr 21, 21, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@jsloan Thank you for the speedy and super helpful response! More follow up questions, if you do not mind.
Happy to help.

I understand JFK-LAX is a new route for UA after deciding focusing on EWR is not the direction they want to pursue anymore. Do you think a cancellation or major schedule change is likely by then? Should I wait to cancel as early June is still several weeks away and hope for a full refund?
I don't know how likely it is to change, but there's little downside in waiting, as long as you remember to cancel prior to the scheduled departure. The only reasons not to wait would be if you were making another reservation on United that overlapped with this one -- not an issue in your case -- or if you needed to reuse those funds in the interim, which doesn't sound like it's the case either.

Would FFC be in P2's account only or would it be split evenly between my and P2's accounts? Anyway I can extend the FFC expiration date?
It doesn't quite work like that. The FFC stays connected to the original reservation, in each traveler's name. Unless you specifically go in and split the record apart, it would appear in both accounts, and either of you could initiate the change that makes use of the credit.

If you new fare is lower, UA has been issuing a new kind of FFC for the residual amount that I've been calling "FFC v2.0." FFC v2.0 is applied during the purchase process when you're shopping for a new flight (unlike the regular FFC, which works more like a flight change -- it sounds somewhat confusing, but when you go to make use of the credit, it's actually pretty clear). This new FFC v2.0 could be combined together if necessary (e.g., perhaps only one of you is traveling, or one is on an award, or.. etc.).

As for extending the date -- you may be able to get the FFC converted into an Electronic Travel Credit -- reports are hit and miss with regard to agents being willing to make the conversion. ETCs are (currently) good for two years from the day that they're issued. And, the expiration date for an ETC is a buy-by date, not a fly-by date. So, if you were able to get an ETC on June 1, 2021, you could use it on May 31, 2023, for travel through approximately April 25, 2024.

P2 will be very happy to hear this. Whatever makes him happy makes me happy too

I have expiring credits from JetBlue and Delta that I need to use by next year due to travel being. canceled back in 2020. Having more expiring airline credits tied to a specific airline is really not ideal for me at the moment. I know, first world problem and all, but at the moment, it feels like a problem nonetheless.
Understood. I don't blame you; I have a credit on AA myself that's been kind of a pain to use, given that I don't fly them very often.

Good luck!
happychic likes this.
Old Apr 22, 21, 11:27 am

Thank you @jsloan! I have more questions after doing some more research. FFC 2.0 confuses me.

The FFC stays connected to the original reservation, in each traveler's name. Unless you specifically go in and split the record apart, it would appear in both accounts, and either of you could initiate the change that makes use of the credit.

If you new fare is lower, UA has been issuing a new kind of FFC for the residual amount that I've been calling "FFC v2.0." FFC v2.0 is applied during the purchase process when you're shopping for a new flight (unlike the regular FFC, which works more like a flight change -- it sounds somewhat confusing, but when you go to make use of the credit, it's actually pretty clear). This new FFC v2.0 could be combined together if necessary (e.g., perhaps only one of you is traveling, or one is on an award, or.. etc.).
In my case I would like to use FFC 2.0 for a different flight in the fall, LAX-CLE. P2 will be flying on his own LAX-BOS. Will we both be deducting from the same "pool" of FFC 2.0? I don't expect to fly Premium Plus, probably just Economy Plus, so I am guessing the fare for each leg will be lower. Do we have to use the FFC 2.0 pool in one go, or can we use it like an unused credit towards future UA flights?

Honestly if I could I would rather get ETC, but I understand I may not get it.
Old Apr 22, 21, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case I would like to use FFC 2.0 for a different flight in the fall, LAX-CLE. P2 will be flying on his own LAX-BOS. Will we both be deducting from the same "pool" of FFC 2.0? I don't expect to fly Premium Plus, probably just Economy Plus, so I am guessing the fare for each leg will be lower. Do we have to use the FFC 2.0 pool in one go, or can we use it like an unused credit towards future UA flights?
Those are two good questions. This product is new -- it started showing up this month -- and I don't know that we have those answers yet. It appears to work like unused credit toward future flights that can be used repeatedly until exhausted, but I can't swear to that, and I can't find an answer to that, one way or the other, on United's page about it: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Here's what I think would happen:

1 - After you cancel your flight, you'll have FFC v1.0, joined together on one itinerary.
2 - Your first flight change, if the new fare is lower, will generate FFC v2.0 for each of you.
3 - If you're each going to different destinations on that first trip, you'll need to split the reservation, which is straightforward.
4 - If you're each going to different destinations on the second trip, you will apply the FFC v2.0 during the purchase process.

The terms and conditions for FFC v2.0 say that it's non-transferrable, and it appears to be intended for use by the original traveler (so you'd use yours for your ticket, and P2 would use his for his ticket). However, in the UI, it's not entirely clear whether or not that's actually true.

I apologize for the vagueness of these answers; we're all still learning. I have an FFC v2.0 voucher in my account, but (a) I was the only traveler and (b) it's small enough that I expect it'll be used in its entirety on my next ticket.

I suspect more reports will roll in over the next month or two, as more people get FFC v2.0 and use it.
happychic likes this.
Old Apr 22, 21, 4:50 pm

Thank you for another thoughtful response @jsloan. I am going to wait and see before I cancel my JFK-LAX flight.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA-˝K
United 1k cards & luggage wraps, etc.

I may be a bit befuddled, but I am currently a 1k (qualified last November) and have yet to receive anything in the mail from United aside from marketing crap for miles.

When do they send these out?

Just in case - I used the search feature here and came up blank, though I know there was a thread here about it back in January or so.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 21, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by rworne View Post
United 1k cards & luggage wraps, etc.I may be a bit befuddled, but I am currently a 1k (qualified last November) and have yet to receive anything in the mail from United aside from marketing crap for miles.

When do they send these out?
UA skipped providing membership materials for 2021 (in the past they went out in January)
No UA MP elite physical membership materials / kits for 2021
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 26, 21, 3:49 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, AC 50K, AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by rworne View Post
I may be a bit befuddled, but I am currently a 1k (qualified last November) and have yet to receive anything in the mail from United aside from marketing crap for miles.
Covid-19 only prevented UA from giving published benefits for 1K (drinks&snack in economy, luggage tags), not unpublished benefits (marketing crap).
Old Apr 26, 21, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
UA skipped providing membership materials for 2021 (in the past they went out in January)
No UA MP elite physical membership materials / kits for 2021
Is this permanent?

Search this Thread