Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: Avis Chm, LM Boomielatinum
Originally Posted by Nomos
This is probably the tool you're looking for:

https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards

Upgrading a Y class fare costs few miles, but the Y class fare probably costs more than a discount business/first fare. In reality, if you want to upgrade with an MUA you'll want to book the K/T fare that's offered and the redeem the miles required.
Thanks much! That’s exactly it! It didn’t accure to me to look in there- oh well...

Yes yes I know Y Is something no one should ever touch, Just using as catalyst so to speak

ETA: are these upgrd prices on whatever bucket is available in the upgraded cabin ? I.e. Europe>US 15k miles Y>J is that even if there’s only J/D available ?

Last edited by creditor; Apr 13, 2021 at 4:59 pm
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not a question but an observation:

Has anyone noticed you can now check the status of a flight much earlier? I think it used to be 48 hours+; now in the app, I am seeing Saturday flight status, on a Tuesday.
That has been previously reported for the I-phone app but is not yet true for united.com or Android app
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That has been previously reported for the I-phone app but is not yet true for united.com or Android app
Can confirm it is true now on the Android app. Have not yet checked the UA site.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creditor
ETA: are these upgrd prices on whatever bucket is available in the upgraded cabin ? I.e. Europe>US 15k miles Y>J is that even if there’s only J/D available ?
No. Upgrade space (PZ) must be available or you will be waitlisted.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: Avis Chm, LM Boomielatinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. Upgrade space (PZ) must be available or you will be waitlisted.
Nevermind you’re correct thx

Last edited by creditor; Apr 13, 2021 at 5:18 pm
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:39 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
I'm trying to book award tickets on the website for 2 passengers.

When I search for 1 passenger the site returns an available itinerary and says "4 tickets left at this price." When I search for 2 passengers I get no results.

Is the site wrong? Would I be able to book this if I redeemed 2 separate tickets? Any advice? Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can confirm it is true now on the Android app. Have not yet checked the UA site.
Hmmm ... not mine, I have version 4.1.15, 8 April 2021
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hmmm ... not mine, I have version 4.1.15, 8 April 2021
Same version here. To clarify, I can see flight status for the flight I am scheduled to be on (four days from now). You are correct generic flight status searches would continue to yield up to Thursday (two days only) at this point.

Previously, I didn't think this had been possible without some kind of work around - (this being flight status, including upgrade queue, etc.) - certainly not this far ahead. Color me positively surprised!
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11
I'm trying to book award tickets on the website for 2 passengers.

When I search for 1 passenger the site returns an available itinerary and says "4 tickets left at this price." When I search for 2 passengers I get no results.

Is the site wrong? Would I be able to book this if I redeemed 2 separate tickets? Any advice? Thanks
I suspect that the "4 tickets left at this price" is incorrect -- I've seen that before. If you post the date and cities involved, people can take a look at the inventory and likely figure out what's happening.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a question but an observation:

Has anyone noticed you can now check the status of a flight much earlier? I think it used to be 48 hours+; now in the app, I am seeing Saturday flight status, on a Tuesday.
Yes, saw this start happening a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it coincided with a version update for Android or just some backend change.

Flights consistently show up in the 'My Flights' section several, perhaps 4 as in your example, days earlier now. The flight status search is still limited to +/- 2 days.

The recent searches on the 'Book' menu also works now. It used to just be blank.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:56 pm

Redeem on UA/TK but use *G status from OZ

I have a bunch of UA miles that I would like to redeem for award travel on UA or TK. But I only have status *G on OZ. Can I apply my OZ number to my UA/TK award ticket so that I recieve lounge access and other benefits?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tdatta
Can I apply my OZ number to my UA/TK award ticket so that I recieve lounge access and other benefits?
No, but you can use your actual card for lounge access and baggage limits.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, but you can use your actual card for lounge access and baggage limits.
thank you
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:24 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect that the "4 tickets left at this price" is incorrect -- I've seen that before. If you post the date and cities involved, people can take a look at the inventory and likely figure out what's happening.
Thanks for offering to help. After searching around for quite a long time and calling United I learned that the "4 tickets left at this price" only referred to the first leg of the itinerary. The second leg only had 1 seat available . Good lesson learned on the UA website.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
After ticket purchase, when offered to upgrade to first for $XX, does that upgrade purchase count toward premier qualifying points?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.