Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silja
Haven't flown much recently, so downloaded the United app for an upcomming trip (not till July) to my phone. I can open it no problem. But when I want to log in with my Mileage Plus account, or when I go in as a guest and then try to pull up my booking with PNR and last name, I get the error "device has no connectivity". I tried un-installing and re-installing the app. same issue.
I am on a strong wifi signal at home and can connect to other apps without issues. I do have an old Android phone (Galaxy S6), but it does run Android 7 which the app says works on it. Any ideas on how to make it work, or do I just need a new phone?
On some previous versions of the app, I have had "no connectivity" errors when my phone is connected to a VPN.

Maybe relevant or maybe not, but I have an old phone with Android 8 on which I can successfully use the app. It is sometimes unbearably slow, though.

And welcome to flyertalk!
Silja likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If I use miles to upgrade into first, how does that affect my accrual for that flight with the multipliers and what have you?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aresef
If I use miles to upgrade into first, how does that affect my accrual for that flight with the multipliers and what have you?
It does not change anything. Accural is based on the purchased flight and for UA, it is based on $ fare paid, not the cabin.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes and No. Everyone has access to Business Everyday Awards (ZN) if Z inventory exists. Business Everyday Awards (JN) for elites or CC cardholders. does not require Z inventory. Business Saver Award (IN) is not available to CC cardholders, just Plat or higher elites.
Thank you.... I did not realize the intricacies of the award availabilty... but I guess I can understand it from UA perspective. Thank you for being patient with my learning curve.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Is it possible to change your MileagePlus number to a different *A number on an existing reservation?

I have *A Gold (via TAP), but UA Silver, so ideally I would switch to the *A Gold and then be able to select seats (BE fare).
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Is it possible to change your MileagePlus number to a different *A number on an existing reservation?

I have *A Gold (via TAP), but UA Silver, so ideally I would switch to the *A Gold and then be able to select seats (BE fare).
Complementary seat selection is not available for basic economy (BE) fare: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...c-economy.html

Even as a non-BE fare, complementary economy plus (E+) are only available for UA elites only. Gold and up at booking, Silver at check-in: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nomy-plus.html

You can contact UA to update your FF#.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Complementary seat selection is not available for basic economy (BE) fare: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...c-economy.html

Even as a non-BE fare, complementary economy plus (E+) are only available for UA elites only. Gold and up at booking, Silver at check-in: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nomy-plus.html

You can contact UA to update your FF#.
Forgot that BE scoped out seat selection for all.

May be useful regardless for lounge access.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Forgot that BE scoped out seat selection for all.

May be useful regardless for lounge access.
You can not do online with UA, you can try calling or do this at the airport at the check-in kisok
Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I have a trip booked that I haven't flown any segments, and I'm trying to change the return. I'm currently booked SAT-DAY, LEX-SAT and was trying to move the return to CVG-SAT. When I use the Edit option for only the return, the flight options it brings up are priced higher than I expected. I clicked through and discovered that was because it was repricing the whole itinerary based on today's prices. Is this correct or would calling in allow me to change while only paying the price difference for the leg I'm changing?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I have a trip booked that I haven't flown any segments, and I'm trying to change the return. I'm currently booked SAT-DAY, LEX-SAT and was trying to move the return to CVG-SAT. When I use the Edit option for only the return, the flight options it brings up are priced higher than I expected. I clicked through and discovered that was because it was repricing the whole itinerary based on today's prices. Is this correct or would calling in allow me to change while only paying the price difference for the leg I'm changing?
It's complicated.

In most cases, changing only the return of a round-trip flight should only re-fare the return. (This is not true when changing the outbound). However, that assumes that the flights are combinable; if they're not, re-pricing will be necessary. Depending upon the inventory on CVG-SAT, it is not out of the question that the lowest available SAT-DAY fare might not be combinable with it.

That said, UA has had issues with their online change tool for years. So, I'd call, because the odds are that you're correct about the pricing.
SPN Lifer and mattp1987 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's complicated.

In most cases, changing only the return of a round-trip flight should only re-fare the return. (This is not true when changing the outbound). However, that assumes that the flights are combinable; if they're not, re-pricing will be necessary. Depending upon the inventory on CVG-SAT, it is not out of the question that the lowest available SAT-DAY fare might not be combinable with it.

That said, UA has had issues with their online change tool for years. So, I'd call, because the odds are that you're correct about the pricing.
Thanks for the answer. I figured the combinability wouldn't be an issue since I was already flying an open-jaw and keeping it as an open-jaw. I didn't end up calling in because of complications with changing hotels and rental cars; I'll just fly what I booked including the CRJ-200 .
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the answer. I figured the combinability wouldn't be an issue since I was already flying an open-jaw and keeping it as an open-jaw.
That's a good first step. However, in addition to routing limitations, UA has a large number of rules along the lines of "this discount fare requires a W fare or higher or the return leg." (The actual text is something like "fourth level unrestricted economy;" I forget off of the top of my head). It's possible that LEX-SAT met this restriction and CVG-SAT didn't; it's also possible that neither SAT-DAY nor LEX-SAT had this restriction, but CVG-SAT did, and that required the repricing.

(And, it's also possible that the tool was just wrong; and there's a minuscule chance that this particular fare is written in a way where it's always repriced even when the first leg isn't changing).

I didn't end up calling in because of complications with changing hotels and rental cars; I'll just fly what I booked including the CRJ-200 .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Avis Chm, LM Boomielatinum
I'm having a hard time trying to find out how much points is required if when booking Y and upgrd to P/Z etc. when i search UA advanced search and choose MUA as upgrd type and entering Y as fare class, the results bump back to low class ( K, T ..) + miles required but it wont show me Y + miles needed.

Anyone ?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by creditor
I'm having a hard time trying to find out how much points is required if when booking Y and upgrd to P/Z etc. when i search UA advanced search and choose MUA as upgrd type and entering Y as fare class, the results bump back to low class ( K, T ..) + miles required but it wont show me Y + miles needed.

Anyone ?
This is probably the tool you're looking for:

https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards

Upgrading a Y class fare costs few miles, but the Y class fare probably costs more than a discount business/first fare. In reality, if you want to upgrade with an MUA you'll want to book the K/T fare that's offered and the redeem the miles required.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not a question but an observation:

Has anyone noticed you can now check the status of a flight much earlier? I think it used to be 48 hours+; now in the app, I am seeing Saturday flight status, on a Tuesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.