Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by xerenthar
if i book IAD-ZRH-FCO, with IAD-ZRH on UA and ZRH-FCO on Swiss, am i correct that even if booked all through UA, i'll need to retrieve my bags in ZRH and re-check them for the ZRH-FCO segment? will i need to clear customs/immigration as part of that? (my understanding being if i booked a flight through UA as an award ticket that was all LH or all Swiss or whatever, bags would be checked through and i'd be able to just connect airside in [MUC/FRA/ZRH/wherever], but maybe that is wrong?)
No. UA and LX, like most carriers, have a baggage interline agreement.

You will clear immigration in ZRH (Schengen), and claim your bags and clear customs in FCO. Customs for Schengen countries usually consists of voluntary declaration, or simply exiting the baggage claim area if you have nothing to declare.

I'm not up on all the COVID protocols, but they wouldn't affect checked bags.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by findark
No. UA and LX, like most carriers, have a baggage interline agreement.

You will clear immigration in ZRH (Schengen), and claim your bags and clear customs in FCO. Customs for Schengen countries usually consists of voluntary declaration, or simply exiting the baggage claim area if you have nothing to declare.

I'm not up on all the COVID protocols, but they wouldn't affect checked bags.
thanks! i'm confused as to why UA.com isn't showing me one award for IAD-ZRH-FCO here. i could book as a multicity or just book the award with UA and book a separate flight ZRH-FCO, but then it's on a different PNR and i risk losing out if there's connection/etc. problems.

October 21, IAD-ZRH on UA, 5:50P, arriving October 22 7:55A (business saver award); there's a LX ZRH-FCO at both 12:35P and 5:25P. no saver awards listed if i put in IAD-FCO on October 21, though. not even an economy award showing for ZRH-FCO on October 22. i'd be fine even paying money for that leg, but UA is showing it as $10,876, even though LX shows it as $140.

just wonky partner award stuff?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
thanks! i'm confused as to why UA.com isn't showing me one award for IAD-ZRH-FCO here. i could book as a multicity or just book the award with UA and book a separate flight ZRH-FCO, but then it's on a different PNR and i risk losing out if there's connection/etc. problems. ...
Multi-city would be one PNR

UA limits how deep the search engine which search, at 200? searches. . If your prefer routing is found by that, it will not be offered. Unfortunately agents can not work around that issue either.

i'd be fine even paying money for that leg, but UA is showing it as $10,876, even though LX shows it as $140. ...
The LH Group does not allow UA to ticket most fares of a standalone interEuropean flight (plating restrictions)
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:30 pm

got it, thank you. is there any way to know if UA will release any extra award space (i've read 14 days out is common)? UA 40 on October 22 is showing only the 157400 mile J award - i see J is about 70% full, does that mean anything further coming out is unlikely (obviously this is all sort of tea leaf reading)?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
thanks! i'm confused as to why UA.com isn't showing me one award for IAD-ZRH-FCO here. i could book as a multicity or just book the award with UA and book a separate flight ZRH-FCO, but then it's on a different PNR and i risk losing out if there's connection/etc. problems.

October 21, IAD-ZRH on UA, 5:50P, arriving October 22 7:55A (business saver award); there's a LX ZRH-FCO at both 12:35P and 5:25P. no saver awards listed if i put in IAD-FCO on October 21, though. not even an economy award showing for ZRH-FCO on October 22. i'd be fine even paying money for that leg, but UA is showing it as $10,876, even though LX shows it as $140.

just wonky partner award stuff?
That's sufficiently bizarre I would consider calling about it just because it's a completely valid one-stop routing and not showing up in the results. Even with a cash search I had to go digging deep into the results to find it.

No idea if you could prevail, but it's much more eminently reasonable than most surgically constructed awards
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:36 pm

That's sufficiently bizarre I would consider calling about it just because it's a completely valid one-stop routing and not showing up in the results. Even with a cash search I had to go digging deep into the results to find it.

No idea if you could prevail, but it's much more eminently reasonable than most surgically constructed awards
i'm glad i'm not crazy! i just searched again -- multi-city shows no awards of any sort ZRH-FCO on the 22nd at all. no everyday, no saver, no classes. bizarre.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:09 pm

oh weird, if you search from EWR or JFK, it routes correctly with LX 1736, even with a 55 minute connection, but IAD wants to route me IAD-EWR-ZRH-FCO (eventually with LX 1736) or IAD-ZRH-FRA-FCO rather than using LX 1736 as the connection. ....
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hello -
I am forgetting .... about when do the new year premier qualification rules usually get posted? I am wondering about what is going to happen in 2022 for 2023 qualification
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=flymetokix;33625925] ... I am forgetting .... about when do the new year premier qualification rules usually get posted? ...[/quote} It has been Oct to Dec,
Originally Posted by flymetokix
...I am wondering about what is going to happen in 2022 for 2023 qualification
You are not the only one. With the present promo running until 30 Nov, it may be on the later side this year
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Have a question that might fit best here (unless I start a new specific thread, but I'm going to try here first).I have a booking for me and daughter (3yo) for next week, YYZ-DEN-SJC, with YYZ-DEN on a UA-codeshare, AC-operated flight, booked on UA.com. While I plan to still take the trip as is, it's just going to be me now. so I need to cancel her ticket. For context, this is the 'return' portion of an all UA-operated flight on the way there, but booked on a separate PNR, and not worried about it since it is all UA.

I know typically, we can just split the PNR, and then cancel the one with my daughter. I'm not sure if that typically works seamlessly with a partner flight. My concern is I feel like it's always a gamble on who keeps the existing PNR vs. gets a new one, and concerned on what happens if it somehow screws up the AC leg/PNR for me. I definitely don't want to show up on the airport (especially these days) and have issues trying to get on the flight as booked (with AC, that's bad enough on a good day pre-panemic). Can someone confirm that this should work ok? Or is an UA agent able to more seamlessly sort this out? I'm also wondering if my seat assignment on AC will get nixed (since I don't think I get one on my own...only because I'm traveling with a minor right now) - but that is a minor issue, in the scheme of things.

My other potential concern is if it will let me split the PNR (on either outbound or return) in the first place, given that would put my daughter, a minor, on her own PNR.

Appreciate any experience/thoughts.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not quite sure I follow.

"Return" is in fact a one-way ticket YYZ-SJC and one pax (daughter) wants to cancel? Unless something weird has been going on with COVID, to the best of my knowledge this shouldn't involve any new PNRs. Or is this the return of the round-trip and one pax has to change travel?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:17 pm

First best to do this with an agent. The child ticket is not a problem until you try to check-in -- but since you plan to cancel -- no problem

Is this an award or paid? revalidation is no problem on paid.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
UA bag calculator has the following wording "2Travel companions of Premier members have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit. This only applies if they’re traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions don’t apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.".

Does this also apply to non-UA *G?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not quite sure I follow.

"Return" is in fact a one-way ticket YYZ-SJC and one pax (daughter) wants to cancel? Unless something weird has been going on with COVID, to the best of my knowledge this shouldn't involve any new PNRs. Or is this the return of the round-trip and one pax has to change travel?
I probably confused things, these are one-ways, but only concerned about the PNR with the AC flight. Yes, need to cancel just for my daughter. My understanding is to do that, I need to essentially split the PNR, so we don’t both get canceled.

While I have certainly canceled reservations before, I honestly can’t recall a situation where Ive had to cancel just 1. I know splitting for UA flights isn’t an issue, just wasn’t sure how it worked with a partner involved.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First best to do this with an agent. The child ticket is not a problem until you try to check-in -- but since you plan to cancel -- no problem

Is this an award or paid? revalidation is no problem on paid.
this is a paid fare.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:56 pm

Since October 1st, I have noticed a significant drop (from approximately 200 to 20) in the number of "United Club one-time Pass" available to purchase on eBay, what could be the reason ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.