Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA282 EWR-DEN-PHX
UA2092 EWR-PHX
Same departure time today (1030am) - February 5, 2021

The flight status monitor at EWR lists UA282 twice one to DEN and another to PHX (with 1stop), and there are two PHX destination one after another with the same time. Has it always been like this? This could confuse some travelers heading to the wrong gate.
AFAIK, it's been like that for a long time. I think the confusing part is simply due to the coincidence in flight times.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know what they're doing, but it looks to me as though they didn't start using UA282 for EWR-DEN-PHX until the first of this month.

How does the flight board at EWR show the 1stop for UA282?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Don't know what they're doing, but it looks to me as though they didn't start using UA282 for EWR-DEN-PHX until the first of this month.

How does the flight board at EWR show the 1stop for UA282?
The flight board lists departure (and arrival) airports in alpha order, so:

UA282 Denver 10:30am Gate C136

UA282 Phoenix (+1 stop) 10:30am Gate C136
UA2092 Phoenix 10:30am Gate C113
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Please advise: If I fly LAX-EWR-LAX on the scheduled 787-10 what is my likelihood that the route will actually use the scheduled 787-10?
Looking at first class, mid February, same day turnaround.
Would use frequent flyer miles I want to burn very soon, but I want a seat with both an aisle and a window.
LAX-EWR 2300-0653 UA1165
EWR-LAX 0845-1152 UA554 (assuming that this would be the very same aircraft as the arrival)
Thank you!!!
I have flown this route a bunch over the past 2 months. The redeye flight does not usually turn around and head back to LAX. For example, the inbound flight for 554 today (from EWR to LAX) came from FRA (Frankfurt) yesterday; meanwhile the redeye flight from LAX (to EWR - flight 1165) is flying down to IAH (Houston) and then a back-to-back to/from Buenos Aires (EZE).

Note the assigned aircraft e.g. 787-10 (78J) is not fixed. UA will deploy at least one 78J a day on this route, but it doesn't have to be the same time slot. For widebody flights on this route, I have flown on 78J, 789 (787-9, both non-retrofitted and Polaris retroftted. by the way, the redeye flight last night was a 789), 772 Polaris retrofitted (777-200), and 77W (777-300ER).

Last edited by Repooc17; Feb 5, 2021 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 5, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I am sure this is covered somewhere but I dont know where to find it.

Say I bought ORD-SXM for $700 for June. But now I want to change my ticket for free and fly in December instead and that ticket is $500. United's website seems to suggest I would not be reimbursed the $200 since its less??

What if I cancel my flight altogether and create a $700 future flight credit. If I book with the credit for a $500 ticket, do I keep the $200 as another credit or do they take that too??
Old Feb 5, 2021, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Say I bought ORD-SXM for $700 for June. But now I want to change my ticket for free and fly in December instead and that ticket is $500. United's website seems to suggest I would not be reimbursed the $200 since its less??
Correct.

What if I cancel my flight altogether and create a $700 future flight credit. If I book with the credit for a $500 ticket, do I keep the $200 as another credit or do they take that too??
The $200 is still forfeit.

The only way to get the $200 is to convince UA to give you an ETC instead of Future Flight Credit. Some people have reported success when asking for this on the phone, but it's YMMV -- there's no official policy to support it.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Say I bought ORD-SXM for $700 for June. But now I want to change my ticket for free and fly in December instead and that ticket is $500. United's website seems to suggest I would not be reimbursed the $200 since its less?? ...
Correct, that is a change put in place when UA started waiving change fees.

...What if I cancel my flight altogether and create a $700 future flight credit. If I book with the credit for a $500 ticket, do I keep the $200 as another credit or do they take that too??
Will be the same result

You have two options to not lose the residual:
1) pay new money for the rescheduled trip and save the FFC (Future Flight Credit) for another trip where the prices are higher, Remembering you have a limited time (1 year) to use the FFC.

2) When you cancel the present trip then call and ask for a ETC (Electronic Travel Credit), Then use the ETC to book the new travel and you will still have the remaining funds for a future trip. Note the ETC is good for 2 years.
The issue is UA is not required to offer an ETC option but may. It is unclear when UA will and will not, recent reports have been positive especially if the booking was made last summer but others have report even more recent success.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Thanks. I understand why United might want to do this so people don't always keep cancel existing tickets for a lower rate on the same flight.., but in these uncertain COVID times its annoying to me, and especially if you are changing your ticket for a whole other timeframe then it seems customer friendly to reimburse the residual...

Side question: If I had two tickets at $700 each I bought, but now cancxel them and purchase 6 tickets later at $400 each...Does the $700x2= $1400 go towards buying the new 6x $400 tickets which are $2400 total? Or does United only apply a future flight credit to one ticket and not total purchase price of several tickets?

Last edited by Winkdaddy; Feb 5, 2021 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks. I understand why United might want to do this so people don't always keep cancel existing tickets for a lower rate on the same flight.., but in these uncertain COVID times its annoying to me, and especially if you are changing your ticket for a whole other timeframe then it seems customer friendly to reimburse the residual...

Side question: If I had two tickets at $700 each I bought, but now cancxel them and purchase 6 tickets later at $400 each...Does the $700x2= $1400 go towards buying the new 6x $400 tickets which are $2400 total? Or does United only apply a future flight credit to one ticket and not total purchase price of several tickets?
As has always been true, FFC can only be used toward a ticket for the same individual.
This is another case that converting to an ETC, if possible, is a better option. ETCs are more like cash and can be used for anyone's ticket (and can be combined )
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I haven't flown for a really long time!! I am rusty with this PQF thing. Would flights on *A that were also booked through them (Turkish, AC, etc...) earn PQF?
Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I haven't flown for a really long time!! I am rusty with this PQF thing. Would flights on *A that were also booked through them (Turkish, AC, etc...) earn PQF?
Thanks
https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...qualification/
You’ll earn PQF on partner airlines as well, except when flying on light fares, basic fares, and award tickets. Learn more about earning with partner airlines (This link opens in a new tab.).
Bruin1K likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Thank you! I was reading the same page and I could not find the quote you mentioned so thanks for that! My ticket is paid J with TK so I guess it DOES accumulate PQF.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Is there an existing thread about upgrading economy to business on ANA? Specifically I wonder what classes can be upgraded and when do upgrades clear. Even at united.com, all I could find was that this would require 40 PP (PlusPoints). Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Is there an existing thread about upgrading economy to business on ANA? Specifically I wonder what classes can be upgraded and when do upgrades clear. Even at united.com, all I could find was that this would require 40 PP (PlusPoints). Thanks.
I think you want this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...w-used-nh.html

United has rearranged their website, which has apparently nullified the wiki links, but as fare classes go I wouldn't expect them to have changed.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I think you want this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...w-used-nh.html

United has rearranged their website, which has apparently nullified the wiki links, but as fare classes go I wouldn't expect them to have changed.
fumje - Thank you. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.