Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:19 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
So I might be in the wrong place but appreciate any expert advice before I call the GS line and ask. I have millions of UA-FFlyer miles banked, mainly because most of my travel is/was paid by businesses in business for business reasons, but I have not really used the UA miles in a few years. I am finally looking to cash some in for family use but am no expert on the mileage booking engine side...

When using the pay option to book I can see non-stop flights on LH metal from FRA to various non-hub US cities (which I would like to book) but when trying to book on miles only connections via hubs on UA come up. Can the GS folks book me with miles on the LH non-stops if I call, even if the UA engine does not show the flight as a mileage option? A thousand thanks in advance oh wise ones.

Thanks,
FH
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Can the GS folks book me with miles on the LH non-stops if I call, even if the UA engine does not show the flight as a mileage option?
No. If LH doesn't want to offer the seats, United cannot force them.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
....Can the GS folks book me with miles on the LH non-stops if I call, even if the UA engine does not show the flight as a mileage option? ...
No, UA agents can not open space on partner flights
however,
perhaps as they may be more proficient at searching, they can try to assist you in finding flights but they have the same availability as you
and
if some of your miles are from Chase MP cards and you still have one, you can use miles as a statement credit against purchase flights (but just 1 cpm redemption).
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:00 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Thank you both most of the miles are from flying, some old electric plans and such or others but in the last few years just flying. I used to get the money versus the miles on the travel bank so am just now getting miles through chase versus UA cash.. Thanks again, very helpful and saved me a call.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:27 am

I havent book UA international flights for a while and therefore a little rusty
Does XN award booking to international destination not come with 1 standard check in bag (23kg)?
This is for a flight to Ecuador.

I am now unsure if the passenger needs to pay another $30-40 for the checked bag on the day of check in, because i am seeing extra options to "upgrade" to on the final check out page.

Base - United Economy (XN)
Option 1 - Economy Plus.
Travel Options bundle, pay extra $$
Option 2 - Economy Plus, Standard checked bag. Travel Options bundle, pay extra $$$
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gnomey
I havent book UA international flights for a while and therefore a little rusty
Does XN award booking to international destination not come with 1 standard check in bag (23kg)?
This is for a flight to Ecuador. ...
XN on UA comes with the same baggage allowance as standard economy, which is 1 bag x 50 lbs for flights USA-Ecuador flights

I am now unsure if the passenger needs to pay another $30-40 for the checked bag on the day of check in, because i am seeing extra options to "upgrade" to on the final check out page.

Base - United Economy (XN)
Option 1 - Economy Plus.
Travel Options bundle, pay extra $$
Option 2 - Economy Plus, Standard checked bag. Travel Options bundle, pay extra $$$
Some travel bundles offer additional baggage allowance as an option. Option 2 would provide an additional standard check bag -- making the allowance 2 bags. (a second bag would normally be $40). Option 2 is also adding E+ access.

You can also purchase E+ access only later in the process when selecting seat assignments, the price is more seat specific at that point.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
XN on UA comes with the same baggage allowance as standard economy, which is 1 bag x 50 lbs for flights USA-Ecuador flights

Some travel bundles offer additional baggage allowance as an option. Option 2 would provide an additional standard check bag -- making the allowance 2 bags. (a second bag would normally be $40). Option 2 is also adding E+ access.

You can also purchase E+ access only later in the process when selecting seat assignments, the price is more seat specific at that point.

ok thank you. so XN is an economy fare, not basic economy?

do I have to pay with the chase credit card to ensure the free 1st checked in bag? or any credit card will work? (actually my credit card is not even an Explorer version anymore.. I have downgraded long ago to the no AF version but still have access to XN space)
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:50 pm

ok thank you. so XN is an economy fare, not basic economy? ...
yes, standard economy

do I have to pay with the chase credit card to ensure the free 1st checked in bag? ....
yes, but on international flights you already get 1st bag free in most cases.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:19 pm

yes, standard economy

thanks for confirming.

yes, but on international flights you already get 1st bag free in most cases.
yeah that's what i thought, 1st checked bag free regardless of payment method.

but this blogpost - 1st table - got me confused (but it could be outdated information) https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...-baggage-fees/ it could be outdated info because it says differently on the link you shared https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage...or/any-flights

i guess what i am trying to say is i think in recent years, UA has gone 'cheap' for certain destinations eg mexico and others and start charging checked bag fee even if it's the 1st bag. so i was concerned that included some south american nations as well
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:01 pm

I originally bought a ticket to LHR with UA in August, gambling that the UK quarantine requirements would go away. Since it's clear that the quarantine requirements won't be going away by August, I decided to book an add-on LHR-GVA flight with Swiss that departs about four hours after my arrival into LHR.

I know in pre-COVID times the check-in agents could check your bags all the way through on *A partners, even if they were on separate tickets. Is that still the case? I am hoping to have my bags checked through all the way to GVA so that I can avoid going through customs in LHR. I will be flying in business class if that matters at all.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
this blogpost - 1st table - got me confused
Most blogs are not worth the paper they're printed on.

Originally Posted by Seph87
I know in pre-COVID times the check-in agents could check your bags all the way through on *A partners, even if they were on separate tickets.
I don't think the issue is pre/post-COVID. The real issue is pre/post-Brexit. Since the UK is no longer part of the EU, I suspect you will need to clear customs.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't think the issue is pre/post-COVID. The real issue is pre/post-Brexit. Since the UK is no longer part of the EU, I suspect you will need to clear customs.
My understanding is that if I didn't have checked bags, I could transit airside at LHR without going through customs. That makes me think there must be a way to check the bags through, but I'm not sure if UA would refuse to do so because of COVID? Like they might be worried about me not meeting entry requirements for Switzerland and getting denied boarding? Or maybe it's fine and I'm inventing scenarios to get worried about.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Seph87
....Like they might be worried about me not meeting entry requirements for Switzerland and getting denied boarding? Or maybe it's fine and I'm inventing scenarios to get worried about.
No reports so far in the UA forum of UA not interlining bags to separate ticket flights with partners n the COVID era, bags can get pulled if you get dropped from the flight.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:06 pm

No reports so far in the UA forum of UA not interlining bags to separate ticket flights with partners n the COVID era, bags can get pulled if you get dropped from the flight.
Thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It would still make me nervous. With the strict UK entry restrictions added to the usual LHR hassles, I would hesitate to book through LHR on a single ticket, let alone separate tix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.