Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The old ticket will be exchanged for the new ticket, and you will be charged for the fare difference on top of that. The old ticket will not be refunded.

Thanks! Wanted to avoid $8,000 swaps!
Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Thanks! Wanted to avoid $8,000 swaps!
I think UA prefers that too!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Please advise: If I fly LAX-EWR-LAX on the scheduled 787-10 what is my likelihood that the route will actually use the scheduled 787-10?
Looking at first class, mid February, same day turnaround.
Would use frequent flyer miles I want to burn very soon, but I want a seat with both an aisle and a window.
LAX-EWR 2300-0653 UA1165
EWR-LAX 0845-1152 UA554 (assuming that this would be the very same aircraft as the arrival)
Thank you!!!
traveling bijorn likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Please advise: If I fly LAX-EWR-LAX on the scheduled 787-10 what is my likelihood that the route will actually use the scheduled 787-10?...
The 787-10 has been a regular on that route. If in March, would wait to see how tonight's schedule update settles out.
If in Feb, moderately safe to rely on the present schedule.
If the COVID travel restrictions change, all bets are off.
AAJetMan likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:11 pm

Thank you WineCountryUA. RE: Covid travel restrictions change...Is this more of a concern about travel into/out of New York? Or demand concerns due to greater restrictions? Or...? Any specific concern you're aware of, or just generally speaking?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Thank you WineCountryUA. RE: Covid travel restrictions change...Is this more of a concern about travel into/out of New York? Or demand concerns due to greater restrictions? Or...? Any specific concern you're aware of, or just generally speaking?
Any and all of your items. TSA numbers have been falling since the beginning of the year and while the latest COVID numbers have peaked, outbreaks come without warning.
What I am saying is there is no certainty and things are dynamic, schedules and aircraft used can change quickly.
AAJetMan likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 787-10 has been a regular on that route. If in March, would wait to see how tonight's schedule update settles out.
If in Feb, moderately safe to rely on the present schedule.
If the COVID travel restrictions change, all bets are off.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Any and all of your items. TSA numbers have been falling since the beginning of the year and while the latest COVID numbers have peaked, outbreaks come without warning.
What I am saying is there is no certainty and things are dynamic, schedules and aircraft used can change quickly.
Got it! Thanks again!
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Flight UA 375 on Wed, Feb 3 ORD - MCO shows J0, Y1. Seat map shows 2 open J seats with FULL capacity. I know you can’t go off seat maps alone, but what is the explanation behind this? Is it simply 16 J tickets have been booked but only 14 people have assigned seats? The reason I ask is because I am #2 on CPU list
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
Flight UA 375 on Wed, Feb 3 ORD - MCO shows J0, Y1. Seat map shows 2 open J seats with FULL capacity. I know you can’t go off seat maps alone, but what is the explanation behind this? Is it simply 16 J tickets have been booked but only 14 people have assigned seats? The reason I ask is because I am #2 on CPU list
What does Economy capacity show ('Full' or 'Available'?) on the sby waitlist page?

If Y is full, maybe J is blocked 2 (i.e. 14 bookings).

But if Y is not full, certainly there are 16 J bookings and two pax have not assigned seats.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:13 pm
Suspended

My parents live in OGG and I live in SFO. I'd been looking at flights over the last few weeks as I haven't seen them in awhile and I noticed that on February 15th, it seems like United 1273 switches from a 737 to a 777-200 with polaris seating. What are the chances that they actually keep this seat map versus changing out planes? I'm on the flight on the 16th and it looks like first is filling up, and I didn't want to get booted to 2-4-2 biz traveling solo during covid. Any guidance would be appreciated!
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by arjaok
My parents live in OGG and I live in SFO. I'd been looking at flights over the last few weeks as I haven't seen them in awhile and I noticed that on February 15th, it seems like United 1273 switches from a 737 to a 777-200 with polaris seating. What are the chances that they actually keep this seat map versus changing out planes? I'm on the flight on the 16th and it looks like first is filling up, and I didn't want to get booted to 2-4-2 biz traveling solo during covid. Any guidance would be appreciated!
With two weeks to go, probably a good chance it'll stay same. Only 23 F seats appear to be selected so far, so chances would be even better if more than 28 were sold (i.e. the number of First seats on the 77HD), but I think it looks good. The plane looks like it's used next day back to SF and only about 16 F seats look to be taken so far, but there's not much incentive to swap planes - they're both 777-200s and I doubt the plane would be needed for another route as reduced as int'l flying is nowadays.

As for Covid - UA will have you believe there's almost no chance of getting it on one of their planes, whatever the seating. The crew (definitely the FAs, not sure about pilots) often stays at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei and there was a recent Covid cluster there among the housekeeping staff (6 cases).
arjaok likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by fumje
What does Economy capacity show ('Full' or 'Available'?) on the sby waitlist page?

If Y is full, maybe J is blocked 2 (i.e. 14 bookings).

But if Y is not full, certainly there are 16 J bookings and two pax have not assigned seats.
Thank you. On the flight status page looks like 17 booked J with a capacity of 16. Interested to see what happens.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. On the flight status page looks like 17 booked J with a capacity of 16. Interested to see what happens.
It looks like there were some late changes or cancellations in F -- bookings down to 14/16 by last night, and today the flight went out with #1 & #2 cleared. Did you make it?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by fumje
It looks like there were some late changes or cancellations in F -- bookings down to 14/16 by last night, and today the flight went out with #1 & #2 cleared. Did you make it?
Yeah I did. Last night, bookings were 14/16. Filled to full prior to flight with me #1 on CPU. Sat in my Econ+ seat and lady came onboard and upgraded me and another 1k. Very full flight to Orlando with lots of crying babies!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
UA282 EWR-DEN-PHX
UA2092 EWR-PHX
Same departure time today (1030am) - February 5, 2021

The flight status monitor at EWR lists UA282 twice one to DEN and another to PHX (with 1stop), and there are two PHX destination one after another with the same time. Has it always been like this? This could confuse some travelers heading to the wrong gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.