Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 21, 6:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Old May 9, 21, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
The biggest difference would be the new seats on 773 or a chance of the old seats on 789. But if it's going to be same seat type, then I prefer 789 due to the cabin pressure and noise reduction. Others prefer 773 due to slightly wider seats.
Put me in the more spacious (not just wider) seats category. IMO UA compromised too much to squeeze in extra seats when it polarized the 787s (just as it did with the Diamond seats before). I wouldn't want to be in the smaller seat for a 10+ hour flight.

I've never noticed the cabin pressure on the 787s, but I do on the A350s, probably due to the better air circulation and higher humidity.
SPN Lifer and greytop13 like this.
Old May 9, 21, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Put me in the more spacious (not just wider) seats category. IMO UA compromised too much to squeeze in extra seats when it polarized the 787s (just as it did with the Diamond seats before). I wouldn't want to be in the smaller seat for a 10+ hour flight.

I've never noticed the cabin pressure on the 787s, but I do on the A350s, probably due to the better air circulation and higher humidity.
I kind of like the cocoon feeling in the tighter seats. But it could also be compared, less flatteringly, to a coffin.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and greytop13 like this.
Old May 10, 21, 12:05 pm

Did you tell the GA you had group 2 boarding?

What you did is the stated boarding procedure, but of course if the GA said otherwise you can't really argue.
Yup, they said "this line is for first class only"

Just wanted to make sure I know how to read a monitor graphic!
Old May 10, 21, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I kind of like the cocoon feeling in the tighter seats. But it could also be compared, less flatteringly, to a coffin.
Cannot find the reference now, but IIRC the middle Biz seat on AC's 763 was referred to as "coffin seat" in AC Forum (2-1-2 layout IIRC).
Old May 10, 21, 11:22 pm

Question about Complementary Premier Upgrade

As a United 1k with a United Quest credit card traveling on International award ticket in Econ class, am I eligible for Complementary Premier Upgrade on the international segment to PremiumPlus? Flight is on UA metal.

Any recent DP on how early the upgrade clears?

thanks in advance
Old May 10, 21, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsy9999 View Post
As a United 1k with a United Quest credit card traveling on International award ticket in Econ class, am I eligible for Complementary Premier Upgrade on the international segment to PremiumPlus? ...
nope, most non-North American routes do not have CPU. And North American routes selling PremiumPlus have no CPU.

CPU routes
Guate87 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 10, 21 at 11:37 pm Reason: CPU routes
Old May 10, 21, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
nope, most non-North American routes do not have CPU. And North American routes selling PremiumPlus have no CPU.
So having any Chase UA credit card won't help? Which routes have CPU?
Old May 10, 21, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
So having any Chase UA credit card won't help?
CPU on awards for certain credit cards are limited to CPU routes.
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Which routes have CPU?
CPU routes

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC
lsquare and Guate87 like this.
Old May 10, 21, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

CPU routes
thanks
Would I be able to select Economy Plus seats without a charge, even for TPAC international flights?
Old May 10, 21, 11:52 pm

.... Would I be able to select Economy Plus seats without a charge, even for TPAC international flights?
as an 1K, yes, at booking
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 10, 21, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
thanks
Would I be able to select Economy Plus seats without a charge, even for TPAC international flights?
As a United 1k
As 1K you can select your E+ Even (now) lowly Gold I choose E+ at booking all the time (no E+ at booking, no booking for me)
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 6:55 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA Platinum, Wyndham Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
In the past month I have had three broken seats in F and the captain on each flight said they took note of it (tray tables and charger) and I have an issue with a plus points redemption that I feel like I'm entitled for points to be reinstated. Is the plus points a mileage Plus email or is it best to just contact 1K voice for everything?
Old May 11, 21, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Airbus_Retard View Post
In the past month I have had three broken seats in F and the captain on each flight said they took note of it (tray tables and charger) and I have an issue with a plus points redemption that I feel like I'm entitled for points to be reinstated. Is the plus points a mileage Plus email or is it best to just contact 1K voice for everything?
For service recovery issues, I find an email to 1k voice to work the best. Short, concise, and specifics work the best.
Guate87 likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
I have 40 PlusPoints, earned by becoming Platinum at the end of 2019. They are showing as expiring 1/31/2022. Is that the same as everyone else? I thought I read somewhere we were getting another 6 months, making them expire 7/31/2022 - or did I just imagine reading that?

to (I think) answer my own question, I think my PP had 2 x 6mth extensions. Originally expiring 1/31/21, then 7/31/21, and now finally 1/31/22. Presumably that's it final final.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 21 at 3:03 pm Reason: merging consecutive / update posts by same member
Old May 11, 21, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Question regarding using Points Plus to upgrade from economy to Biz on flights from EWR to Europe (using UA metal). I have 80 PP and saw that in the past I’d need at least a K fare to upgrade r/t. Looking at the UA site, they now show ALL economy fares (Basic Economy, Economy & Fully Refundable Economy ) are listed as ‘K’ , obviously with vastly different prices. Now I know BE isn’t eligible, but how can I choose the correct fare to then request an upgrade?

Search this Thread