Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

Old Jul 1, 22, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ARR72 View Post
I have a round trip sfo-cdg (3 pax) leaving July 24. The outgoing is Premium Plus (O) and I’ve applied miles to request an upgrade to Polaris. The return flight was in Economy, however last night I saw a reasonable fare difference to Polaris and changed the return flight (same day, same flight now in Z).

I did not make any changes to the outgoing flight but now I see the fare listed as A instead of my original O. My questions are a. Is this normal and b. Will it negatively affect my chances of the upgrade clearing? Thanks
Part of the reason that the fare difference you found was reasonable is that it re-fared the outbound.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador; UA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Part of the reason that the fare difference you found was reasonable is that it re-fared the outbound.
Ok thanks for the explanation. I wasn’t aware the change to the return flight would affect my outgoing flight. I guess I’ll find out if my upgrade on the sfo-Cdg leg clears but at least I am assured of Polaris on the return. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 3:55 pm

I have a follow up question/concern (& please apologies in advance in case it veers OT from this thread): So as I recounted in my original post, I booked my outgoing flight, fare code O and due to the change to the return flight, the outgoing flight is now A. I had applied a request to Polaris using 15,000 miles/$0 as per the award guidelines. Seeing as how the required amount to upgrade from A is 20,000 miles/$425 copay, will my upgrade request remain valid? Should I be concerned that I’ve “underpaid” for lack of a better term? Or am I worrying needlessly since an upgrade on the sfo-cdg route is unlikely to clear anyway? Thanks
Old Jul 2, 22, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ARR72 View Post
I have a follow up question/concern (& please apologies in advance in case it veers OT from this thread): So as I recounted in my original post, I booked my outgoing flight, fare code O and due to the change to the return flight, the outgoing flight is now A. I had applied a request to Polaris using 15,000 miles/$0 as per the award guidelines. Seeing as how the required amount to upgrade from A is 20,000 miles/$425 copay, will my upgrade request remain valid? Should I be concerned that I’ve “underpaid” for lack of a better term? Or am I worrying needlessly since an upgrade on the sfo-cdg route is unlikely to clear anyway? Thanks
does it still show waitlisted? I would leave it and see what happens ...
Old Jul 2, 22, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
does it still show waitlisted? I would leave it and see what happens ...

Yes, still waitlisted indicating “upgrade requested”.
Old Jul 2, 22, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I think you're wildly overoptimistic about human agents.
I agree. Just tried to change an existing ticket using app and changed segment resulted in $107 to be returned to credit card, but couldn’t complete and got message to call UA. Rep changed flight and said it was even exchange. Asked her about the $107 I saw on app and she says “she booked me into same class of service”. I just cancelled the reservation (under 24 hours) and re-booked.

Too bad one can’t rely on app or agent….
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 22, 3:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Went to make a change to an October flight, booked within the past 24 hours. Pick new flights, seats, etc. Website shows no additional fare due, and no travel credit (it was an even exchange). Clicking the "Change Flight" button at the end just keeps redirecting back to the same page, saying there's no additional fare due and to click "Change Flight" to complete the process.

So I tried on the app on my phone. It shows a $300 additional fare to stay in F, or a $98 refund to downgrade to Y. I do a search for the desired itin, and it prices back exactly the same as the current one, so no, there shouldn't be any additional fare.

Tried the website again (after logging out, clearing cache, etc.), with the same result: Stuck at the "Change Flight" button on the final screen. If I then went to edit the search, I started getting the $300 higher fare listed, but if I clicked through to select the supposedly-$300-higher flights, I then got an add/collect request for $140, not $300.

I called in, and the agent made the changes without problem and without additional cost.
Old Jul 24, 22, 6:01 pm

I am booked to fly CUN-EWR-PIT tomorrow and UA just issued a change waiver. I would like to re-route CUN-IAD-PIT to avoid EWR if possible but the change function on the website is still trying to charge me a change fee for fare difference. I was wondering if there is anything specific or different I need to be doing to take advantage of the fee waiver? Thanks
Old Jul 24, 22, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
I am booked to fly CUN-EWR-PIT tomorrow and UA just issued a change waiver. I would like to re-route CUN-IAD-PIT to avoid EWR if possible but the change function on the website is still trying to charge me a change fee for fare difference. I was wondering if there is anything specific or different I need to be doing to take advantage of the fee waiver? Thanks
In reality, if you go to the end, the charge may drop but the safest way is just call or use a social media agent (Twitter, FB, G, ...)
Old Jul 25, 22, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not entirely sure if this belongs here or if there's a better place for it, but I wanted to follow up on the issue I had this morning, since I put it in the Chicago travel waiver thread, where nobody will ever look in the future.

To make a long story short, according to the 1K agent -- and I have no reason to doubt him -- UA's IRROPS software decided, on its own, to re-accommodate me by taking me off of my confirmed Sunday night flight and putting me on a confirmed Monday morning flight instead. The agent had engaged his internal support team to try to fix my reservation, and apparently the support guy was confused enough that he took a screenshot and filed a defect report against it.

I was connecting ATW-ORD-AUS on the 5:22 PM flight, and the only thing that I can think is that either (a) the flight to Chicago was canceled and then reinstated or (b) somebody fat-fingered an expected delay to the point where I'd have essentially no chance to make the connection.

Anyway, I wanted to give people one more reason to keep an eye on their reservations during weather issues -- watch out for UA being too helpful.

(As it turns out, ATW-ORD was on time and ORD-AUS was delayed nearly an hour. So, the delay predictor didn't really work either.
SPN Lifer and theebigjuan like this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 10:58 am

To enhance the story of unplanned schedule changes, I am booked CLE-EWR on 8-16. The schedule had already changed once on June 30. Now on July 24 received a message that my reservation was cancelled. UA 3444 is still selling tickets and has plenty of open seats. Rebooked, but on the earlier UA 3510 as my connecting flight, on a different ticket, had also had a schedule change. I'm now sitting on a reservation in Econ Plus on the seating chart, but no seat assigned. Within the UA site and on the app, this flight no longer appears as part of My Trips on my profile, but does appear under My Trips on the Booking screen. There are earlier flights so not too worried, but pointing out that it appears UA had some gremlins in the system this weekend.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread