Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This has been happening for years and has been reported many times. Happens online on the app or the computer. UA is generally willing to fix this when it happens, but in some cases seats are 'gone' and then there is nothing that can be done.
This is the issue with the stupid domestic UP fares that look at the fare basis and when the 'UP' class is not available upon rebooking it will go down to S, W or whatever it is. Never a problem with true P,Z,D,C,J fares.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
This is the issue with the stupid domestic UP fares that look at the fare basis and when the 'UP' class is not available upon rebooking it will go down to S, W or whatever it is. Never a problem with true P,Z,D,C,J fares.
All domestic UA fares except p.s. are sold this way. The UP vs. non-UP distinction is a thing of the past.

Considering that MatthewLAX just had this happen on LAX-SJD, I suspect there's probably more at play here, and therefore reason to be careful no matter what route you're flying.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cfischer
The UPs and downs of rebooking oneself! Very unfare.

David
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Wait - after reading this thread you made the change on the app anyway?
Yes, deliberately. I wanted to see if I could replicate the error. Sadly, I did...
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
All domestic UA fares except p.s. are sold this way. The UP vs. non-UP distinction is a thing of the past.

Considering that MatthewLAX just had this happen on LAX-SJD, I suspect there's probably more at play here, and therefore reason to be careful no matter what route you're flying.
LAX-SJD are UP fares I have never seen this happen on a proper business class fare, but many times on 'UP fares' and I mean by that fares that have fare basis that are coach fares whether or not there is an UP designator. After this happened a few too many times in the past years I am now always calling to make these changes.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:02 pm

United charging more for flights when you use "Future Flight Credit"?

Hi all - has anyone else noticed that United is charging more for flights when you try to use "Future Flight Credit" by making a change to an old reservation that you canceled?

I have a canceled flight with $276.20 of value, and was booking RIC-PDX RT 5/20-5/23 (UA 2234 // UA2390 -> UA2268 // UA5004). Without using flight credit, the price shows as $332.40, so I should owe $56.20 in cash if I use my credit. However, when I search for the exact same flights while going through the canceled flights page, it shows the flights are $422.40 and wants to charge me $146.20. I tried both searches multiple times to make sure it wasn't timing.

I tried it with several other flights too. Here's one example: IAD-SAN 3/17-3/21 (UA1183 -> UA0456). If you just search for the flights, price shows as $364.80, but if you search with the travel credit, the flights show as $438.80.

I attached pics of all of these to show I'm not crazy. They are all standard economy.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any thoughts on how to resolve? I called in and the rep said they only see $422.40 on my RIC-PDX flights no matter how I search.

Here are the pics:

RIC-PDX using credit

RIC-PDX without using credit

IAD-SAN using credit

IAD-SAN without using credit
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Did you buy chance purchase the fare last year?

For domestic flights purchased last year, you only had to pay base fare + 9/11 fee ($5.60) + facility charge ($4.50)

The difference between your total (old) cost ($276) less 9/11 fee and facilitation charge appears to be the base fare today ($266).

Transportation tax at 8.5% has returned, along with other returning taxes/fees as of January 1, 2021.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pcx9
Hi all - has anyone else noticed that United is charging more for flights when you try to use "Future Flight Credit" by making a change to an old reservation that you canceled?...
This has been a long, long term issue. Due to some reason, for some reservations, the online rebooking malfunctions.

Hence it is recommended, first you try a normal booking to see the pricing. Then try the online rebooking, if you get the same price (usually true), go ahead. If you get the higher price, call instead, and the phone agent will be able to get the correct.

This is not the only way the online rebooking tool fails and some just don't bother with it and just use an agent

Note as mentioned there will be 7.5% increase due to the reimposing of excise tax, but that will appear in a new booking or in a rebooking.
traveling bijorn likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2021 at 6:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Yes the same happened, using a credit, quoted MCO LAX $61, whereas a new booking was $58.....seems like IT is trying to subtly squeeze some money from these rebookings that used to net them such huge amounts in change fees.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dh01
Yes the same happened, using a credit, quoted MCO LAX $61, whereas a new booking was $58.....seems like IT is trying to subtly squeeze some money from these rebookings that used to net them such huge amounts in change fees.
As mentioned, this is not new and had been happening since the merger in 2012. It has been speculated this is due with the old fare rules interfering with the new booking

Yes, UA should fix this and yes some may not realize calling can address the situation -- but that is what Flyertalker is here for
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:14 am

Thanks everyone! I tried two reps but neither was able to help. Ended up going through Twitter, the only channel that consistently gives good results. They were able to pull up the flights at the correct price, then call me so I could pay the difference with credit card.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you look at the fare being quoted and fare filings on EF, it seems pretty clear the site upfaring from K and L fares (KAG2AKES + LAA4AKES) to a T fare in both directions (TAA4AKES) as the difference between those fares and the two T fares (after 7.5% excise tax added) is the exact same $90 difference OP is seeing. Here's the math (base + 7.5% excise tax -- other taxes are fixed) -- K+L fares : 133 + 153 = 286. T+T fares: 188 + 188 = 376. 376 - 286 = $90. So, it's not a fee begin tacked on, but rather higher fare classes being quoted (possibly due to fare rules). Note that the fact that the excise tax may have not applied to original fare is not actually relevant. It simply applies whatever you paid for original ticket inclusive of any taxes (note that PFC/TSA taxes were not waived) to new fare.
SPN Lifer and MileTrek like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 20, 2021 at 9:54 am
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
higher fare classes being quoted (possibly due to fare rules).
If this is a partially-used ticket, combinability rules could result in this behavior. If it's a wholly unused ticket, the previous itinerary shouldn't be used during the calculation. I suspect that it actually is being used in some way -- hence the discrepancies we see.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: United
Hello, Noob here with a question. I wasn't sure which sub-forum to post my question so posting it here.

I booked a EWR-DEL economy roundtrip ticket that I cancelled after 26 hours, and received a FFC for $1267
Now I want to book a similar ticket, again EWR-DEL. When I search regular price, I get $1250. When I try to use FFC, I get a price of $3200 , and United wants me to pay 2000 bucks more after accounting for FFC....

What's going on here! I'm completely baffled and don't know how to proceed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2021 at 6:22 pm Reason: Moved to a focused thread
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bhaiyyu
.... I booked a EWR-DEL economy roundtrip ticket that I cancelled after 26 hours, and received a FFC for $1267
Now I want to book a similar ticket, again EWR-DEL. When I search regular price, I get $1250. When I try to use FFC, I get a price of $3200 , and United wants me to pay 2000 bucks more after accounting for FFC....

What's going on here! I'm completely baffled and don't know how to proceed.
Just call to rebook, this is not an uncommon issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.