Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is not uncommon for UA to proactively offer compensation for a delay. The compensation depends on status, cabin, and route.

There is a set table for downgrade compensation, which is in addition to any fare differential. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
Downgrade compensation is not applicable here. There was no downgrade. The flight was cancelled and the OP decided to fly on the next available flight in coach. Only a difference in fare applies in such scenarios, plus any CS gesture for the cancelled flight. Downgrade comp only applies when a pax is downgraded from a confirmed premium seat to a lower cabin.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
Downgrade compensation is not applicable here. There was no downgrade. .
Sure there was, and it is. Read the OP all the way through. There was "another reservation" that was downgraded.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:25 pm

Yes the one reservation was booked first class and was cancelled due to mechanical issues. Upon rebooking, due to limited flight options there was no available first class the next day and I was placed in Economy.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
Yes the one reservation was booked first class and was cancelled due to mechanical issues. Upon rebooking, due to limited flight options there was no available first class the next day and I was placed in Economy.
Well that's the same reservation, not a different one, and it's true, you're not entitled to DG comp if the downgrade occurs through the rebooking process. The theory is the downgrade was "voluntary" because you could have waited for another flight with available F. So all you get is fare differential.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:31 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

This is nice but 7,500 is what I get when WiFi isn’t working. I would politely ask for more.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:28 pm

I was told to email customer service so I will see what the offer is for change.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:39 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
This scenario happened yesterday and wondering what I'm entitled to:

I was booked on a one-way, one-stop flight from airport A to C with a connection at airport B. My first leg to A to B was delayed by more than 2 hours which would cause me to miss my leg from B-C. The system generated a new flight for me with a stopover at a different airport which would have gotten me home a day later and put me on a redye.

I was able to book a flight myself on Southwest to get me to B in time to make my original United leg from B-C.

A United phone agent canceled my full ticket A-B-C and used those funds to keep my B-C, maintaining my upgraded first-class seat on this flight. She told me I would need to contact customer relations after I had flown to request compensation for the fact that I had to rebook myself manually on another airline.

However, I automatically received an email yesterday with the subject "Refund Request" that seems to suggest a refund request has already been submitted for me, for the full amount of the original United ticket. Does this make sense? Or could this have been the refund that was applied to the truncated ticket from B-C.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ymx
A United phone agent canceled my full ticket A-B-C and used those funds to keep my B-C, maintaining my upgraded first-class seat on this flight. She told me I would need to contact customer relations after I had flown to request compensation for the fact that I had to rebook myself manually on another airline.

However, I automatically received an email yesterday with the subject "Refund Request" that seems to suggest a refund request has already been submitted for me, for the full amount of the original United ticket. Does this make sense? Or could this have been the refund that was applied to the truncated ticket from B-C.

Thanks for any feedback.
You're entitled to a refund of the A-B flight coupon due to the involuntary change. The refund calculation is a little opaque, but it should generally be similar to the number of PQDs that were going to be earned on that segment, plus an amount for taxes. I don't remember ever seeing a "Refund Request" email due to a change being made by an agent, and it certainly wouldn't be normal to refund the entire amount of the purchase, rather than a prorated amount.

Separately, if the delay was within United's control (and sometimes, but not usually, if it wasn't), they'll generally send you a travel credit for the inconvenience. Although you can tell them the amount that you spent on the Southwest ticket, I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting the entire amount. While UA has agreements in place with American, Delta, and Alaska to handle re-routes, they do not have an agreement in place with Southwest.

What I would do is wait to see if a refund hits your credit card, and then submit a new refund request if it doesn't. Separately, you can reach out to customer service to inquire about compensation.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:48 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jsloan
You're entitled to a refund of the A-B flight coupon due to the involuntary change. The refund calculation is a little opaque, but it should generally be similar to the number of PQDs that were going to be earned on that segment, plus an amount for taxes. I don't remember ever seeing a "Refund Request" email due to a change being made by an agent, and it certainly wouldn't be normal to refund the entire amount of the purchase, rather than a prorated amount.

Separately, if the delay was within United's control (and sometimes, but not usually, if it wasn't), they'll generally send you a travel credit for the inconvenience. Although you can tell them the amount that you spent on the Southwest ticket, I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting the entire amount. While UA has agreements in place with American, Delta, and Alaska to handle re-routes, they do not have an agreement in place with Southwest.

What I would do is wait to see if a refund hits your credit card, and then submit a new refund request if it doesn't. Separately, you can reach out to customer service to inquire about compensation.
Thanks so much for this info! What I forgot to mention is that my original booking was a Q fare (economy unrestricted) so fully refundable. Does that change things?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ymx
Thanks so much for this info! What I forgot to mention is that my original booking was a Q fare (economy unrestricted) so fully refundable. Does that change things?
I don't see any way that changes anything. The advice above from jsloan is good — wait to see what you get refunded then decide if you want to pursue something. Refundable fare or not doesn't really figure into this case, since it is IRROPS.

As an aside, I think they are changing the refund process somehow. I am getting emails that I never did before (such as the 'Refund Request' subject line one that you mentioned).
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't remember ever seeing a "Refund Request" email due to a change being made by an agent, and it certainly wouldn't be normal to refund the entire amount of the purchase, rather than a prorated amount.
[…]
It's a relatively new phenomenon but my past couple agent-initiated change/cancels have gotten the email within about 24 hours (actually, even when I've canceled/refunded a wholly unused ticket in the past 6 months or so I've also gotten the email -- which never happened before) generally OP should get a final confirmation email within 7 days or so indicating the refund amount and should hit the card shortly after that email (at least from what my admin tells me … I don't see our corporate CC statements myself)
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
RSW-EWR during Game 7 of the World Series.

DirectTV live channels would not work after 3 resets and Wi-Fi would not connect.

Many sincere apologies from the FA who asked, unsolicited, if I wanted an e-cert or miles. A couple taps on her device and I had $175 e-cert waiting when we landed.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:19 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
SFO-SYD last night cancelled after 3 hours onboard the aircraft. Slept overnight in SFO on a bench because UA couldn’t find hotels. Next day, delayed AGAIN (not long but still) because UA didn’t load bags from before properly (they had all day to do this).

Full J ticket, no status. Offered $300 without asking. Should I ask for more?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by _fx
SFO-SYD last night cancelled after 3 hours onboard the aircraft. Slept overnight in SFO on a bench because UA couldn’t find hotels. Next day, delayed AGAIN (not long but still) because UA didn’t load bags from before properly (they had all day to do this).

Full J ticket, no status. Offered $300 without asking. Should I ask for more?
I certainly would on a full J ticket -- I've gotten virtually the same amount for a 4 hour delay for a 1 hour flight. Without status, I wouldn't get your hopes up too far, but its certainly worth asking...Reason for cancel? Assuming MX based on the onboard time.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by _fx
Slept overnight in SFO on a bench because UA couldn’t find hotels...Full J ticket, no status.
Help me out here: I'm having a hard time imagining a sequence of events leading me to buy a full J ticket and then sleep in the airport on a 24-hour delay instead of taking a taxi to the nearest hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.