Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mynolix
That is a WOW! For $50 I'd drink tap water any day (not from a plane, though)
What doesn't kill you...

Even at airport markups that's a 10x return on "We're sorry" with no actual cost to UA. Nice gesture and glad to hear FAs are using the tools provided to them
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
What doesn't kill you...
I thought it would
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
DEN-EWR, 1:30pm flight delayed due to issue with incoming plane (said air conditioning), then scheduled for 4:30pm. Boarded plane, captain says issue with ground radio after about 1.5 hours. Deplane, reschedule for 9:00pm. At 9:30pm flight got cancelled and new time 7:30am next day. Got text/email for proactive hotel/meal vouchers. Booked hotel without going through customer service. Appreciation link for $275. 1k on P fare. Next day plane left on time (same aircraft).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by miasmal
DEN-EWR, 1:30pm flight delayed due to issue with incoming plane (said air conditioning), then scheduled for 4:30pm. Boarded plane, captain says issue with ground radio after about 1.5 hours. Deplane, reschedule for 9:00pm. At 9:30pm flight got cancelled and new time 7:30am next day. Got text/email for proactive hotel/meal vouchers. Booked hotel without going through customer service. Appreciation link for $275. 1k on P fare. Next day plane left on time (same aircraft).
Did you re-board for the 9:00 pm flight and then deplaned on cancellation? Or they cancelled while you were still waiting to board at the gate?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i was on 1784 EWR --- MCI on thursday, 8/29... scheduled departure 7:55 PM. ATC delayed incoming aircraft due to strong winds. 15 minute delay stretched to 3 hours. incoming plane arrived and immediately wenty MX (steering issues/hydraulics). snack cart came out at three hours.

they said they'll try to find a new plane. no GS agent at that hour (around 11 PM), but gate agent issues $20 meal vouchers for all. (curiously, he just printed out vouchers for all passengers and doled them out from the top of the pile, irrespective of name. apparently, these are bearer instruments... who knew?)

they did find a new plane, but it hadn't left ft. myers yet. new departure time from EWR: 1:40 AM. we wind up pushing back almost exactly six hours after the original departure time and arriving almost exactly six hours late.

an announcement was made on board to visit united cares for compensation. i received a proactive service recovery email offering $125 or 6250 miles. seems thin for GS in front cabin, but i haven't had a service issue (other than wifi) or a delay on a domestic flight recently, so maybe i'm out of touch. i was traveling on an award ticket, but that usually doesn't matter. yes, i know the first three hours were technically due to a weather delay. but the MX trumped that and added an additional three hours for a total of six.

i was disappointed that there was no GS agent looking after me. no phone call, no protection on flights the next day. and had there been a proactive call, i could have arrived at the airport an hour earlier and taken the ORD flight and then a connection and arrived close to the scheduled time. but that flight was closed by the time i got to the airport.

irrops delays are supposed to be where the GS program shines... but i have never really had good service during irrops.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UK Stages
i was on 1784 EWR --- MCI on thursday, 8/29... scheduled departure 7:55 PM. ATC delayed incoming aircraft due to strong winds. 15 minute delay stretched to 3 hours. incoming plane arrived and immediately wenty MX (steering issues/hydraulics). snack cart came out at three hours.

they said they'll try to find a new plane. no GS agent at that hour (around 11 PM), but gate agent issues $20 meal vouchers for all. (curiously, he just printed out vouchers for all passengers and doled them out from the top of the pile, irrespective of name. apparently, these are bearer instruments... who knew?)

they did find a new plane, but it hadn't left ft. myers yet. new departure time from EWR: 1:40 AM. we wind up pushing back almost exactly six hours after the original departure time and arriving almost exactly six hours late.

an announcement was made on board to visit united cares for compensation. i received a proactive service recovery email offering $125 or 6250 miles. seems thin for GS in front cabin, but i haven't had a service issue (other than wifi) or a delay on a domestic flight recently, so maybe i'm out of touch. i was traveling on an award ticket, but that usually doesn't matter. yes, i know the first three hours were technically due to a weather delay. but the MX trumped that and added an additional three hours for a total of six.

i was disappointed that there was no GS agent looking after me. no phone call, no protection on flights the next day. and had there been a proactive call, i could have arrived at the airport an hour earlier and taken the ORD flight and then a connection and arrived close to the scheduled time. but that flight was closed by the time i got to the airport.

irrops delays are supposed to be where the GS program shines... but i have never really had good service during irrops.
Since UA doesn't pay for WX delays, the amount that you received seems about right for a 3 hour component of the delay that was within UA's control.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Emailed Customer Care in regards to this fiasco:

WHY is UA 960 cancelled today (1 Aug 2019)? Rescheduled as UA2827?

Didn't ask for anything, just laid out the facts. Since I have no status quite yet, I wasn't expecting much, if anything at all, since UA did get me to my destination (albeit 2 hours 50 minutes later than originally scheduled flight), and I did end up flying in Polaris (though I did have to push to make that happen).

To my surprise, UA sent a $200 ETC two days after I emailed them. Very happy with that. First time I've ever emailed CC about any issues, so not sure if that made a difference.

Also sent a second email (same day as first one) about issues with the return flights (subpar Polaris experience, one of the lavs was disgusting, and 2.5 hour late arrival at final destination due to late incoming a/c and then maintenance issues). Haven't received a response to that one yet, but it's only been 11 days and the auto-reply said they'd respond within 18-21 days.

Didn't ask for anything in that email either, but if they send another $200 ETC for those flights, I'll move my IAD-FRA flights going forward from LH back to UA (I abandoned UA for LH on that route a couple years ago due to consistently crappy service and UA not having PE).
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 106 left IAD 5 hours and 18 minutes late and arrived in MUC this morning 4 hours and 48 minutes late. Bad weather at IAD gets the blame for maybe an hour and a half of that, but a radio malfunction in the originally scheduled 777 bears responsibility for the rest. Cabin crew told everybody to visit united.com/unitedcares, and UA also e-mailed me directly with a link to that; plugging in my MP number yielded an offer of $200 or 10,000 miles that I have not yet accepted. Does that seem on the low end for a 1K on a TATL flight?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer
UA 106 left IAD 5 hours and 18 minutes late and arrived in MUC this morning 4 hours and 48 minutes late. Bad weather at IAD gets the blame for maybe an hour and a half of that, but a radio malfunction in the originally scheduled 777 bears responsibility for the rest. Cabin crew told everybody to visit united.com/unitedcares, and UA also e-mailed me directly with a link to that; plugging in my MP number yielded an offer of $200 or 10,000 miles that I have not yet accepted. Does that seem on the low end for a 1K on a TATL flight?
See my reply in post #1266 above. Your comp. sounds about right, better than UK Stages got.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
IROP - rerouted - how do I get UA to pay back the train ticket?

Hi all,

last night before going to bed (had a 6:25 AM YUL to EWR) I get a notice saying the flight is cancelled (around 9pm).

after many attempts to convince them to get me on a YUL-LGA/JFK they say it's all full except business class and they can't switch me classes (keep in mind the YUL-EWR ticket is an ERJ145 with no Business so I couldn't even originally book business).

All the were ready to accommodate was YUL-EWR 2 days later. (Wednesday night instead of Tuesday morning originally).

They offer 5:50AM YUL-PHL on American Airlines.

I take it.

And I pay 60$ for a train ticket from Philly 30th St to New York Penn, I rush from PHL airport to Philly Amtrak station and miss the original train by 2 minutes.
I have to pay a 17$ fee to get booked on the next train to NY which was 45minutes later.

Will UA reimburse me the train ticket (60$), the Airport Tram/SeptA to Philly 30th (6$), and the Amtrak change fee (17$)?

I understand this is a strech, but I feel cheated as I was made aware right before going to bed that my 6AM is cancelled and they didn't even rebook me on anything. I had to call them and find an alternative because I had meetings in the morning in NY.

Thoughts??
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Curious if you have this issue when going back to accept. Last time I took a peek and did not accept, went back a little later after thinking about it and the offer then wasn’t there.. not sure if the system only lets you go in one time to pick the compensation, but I hope it works out for you. I would just take the $200 and you could always write Customer Care later and ask for more if you’d like. But I always grab whatever they offer with those automatic emails
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Wouldn't this also qualify for EC261 compensation?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Wouldn't this also qualify for EC261 compensation?
EU261 can only apply for US (or other non EU) airlines leaving the EU

All EU airlines can have EU261 applied for arriving into the EU also
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by royal757
Hi all,

last night before going to bed (had a 6:25 AM YUL to EWR) I get a notice saying the flight is cancelled (around 9pm).

after many attempts to convince them to get me on a YUL-LGA/JFK they say it's all full except business class and they can't switch me classes (keep in mind the YUL-EWR ticket is an ERJ145 with no Business so I couldn't even originally book business).

All the were ready to accommodate was YUL-EWR 2 days later. (Wednesday night instead of Tuesday morning originally).

They offer 5:50AM YUL-PHL on American Airlines.

I take it.

And I pay 60$ for a train ticket from Philly 30th St to New York Penn, I rush from PHL airport to Philly Amtrak station and miss the original train by 2 minutes.
I have to pay a 17$ fee to get booked on the next train to NY which was 45minutes later.

Will UA reimburse me the train ticket (60$), the Airport Tram/SeptA to Philly 30th (6$), and the Amtrak change fee (17$)?

I understand this is a strech, but I feel cheated as I was made aware right before going to bed that my 6AM is cancelled and they didn't even rebook me on anything. I had to call them and find an alternative because I had meetings in the morning in NY.

Thoughts??
sorry, no obligation for anything. Once you accepted the route to PHL, there can’t be any claim for expenses to get back to NYC, unless that was part of the original deal. Writing a succinct note in to feedback will likely get you some miles or an ETC as a gesture. But that’s a favor and not required. Higher chance if the cancelation was MX vs. weather/ATC. likely, the flight was canceled when the inbound from EWR was canceled the night before. And looks like that cancelation was listed due to WX on east coast.

In your note, be succinct, and forget about including the completely unrelated stuff about missing your train - you chose to book something too close and you lost that bet. That has absolutely zero to do with UA. Auto rebooking can take some time, and typically, you can do this yourself on the app.

Timing may not have been on your side, but personally, if they didn’t have availability to EWR or LGA/JFK in the time you wanted to be there nonstop, I would have asked to see what they had via YYZ - those flights on AC leave often - usually every 30 minutes in the morning. Though even that might not have helped - Tuesday morning after Labor Day is probably pretty full on most routes, and while there likely would have been space to YYz, I’d bet LGA/EWR would be more challenging.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
EU261 can only apply for US (or other non EU) airlines leaving the EU

All EU airlines can have EU261 applied for arriving into the EU also
Ohhh, right. I always forget about that. The 1 time I've claimed EC261 when going into the EU was on an EU based carrier, whereas I've had claims coming out of the EU on UA a couple times. Sorry for any confusion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.