Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If there are no overriding local laws, UA follows it CoC which is the same as DoT rules which exempt changes to smaller aircraft (" substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when required by operational or safety reasons; ")
Actually, the UA CoC only provides for denied boarding compensation for flights departing the US or Canada. Denied boarding on a HKG-GUM flight, for any reason, does not carry any contractual compensation at all unless there is a relevant HK law.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, the UA CoC only provides for denied boarding compensation for flights departing the US or Canada. Denied boarding on a HKG-GUM flight, for any reason, does not carry any contractual compensation at all unless there is a relevant HK law.
You are correct although I think there have been at least one report of UA personnel using the US rules in international situations without local laws. But appears that was optional. A Central American location I vaguely remember. But we are getting OT.

But the original point was the US rules still would have not provided mandatory compensation due to the exemption.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Looks like the demand is >4x73G/week. Wed 4/17 HKG-GUM was overbooked again. Mom (UA*S) was flying HKG-GUM-HNL-LAX, was offered VDB $300+hotel and SFO next day. In the end her seat wasn't needed, but checked bags was held back and accidentally not loaded. Bags flew HKG-SFO-LAX next day but took until 10 pm for delivery. No comp here.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Looks like the demand is >4x73G/week. Wed 4/17 HKG-GUM was overbooked again. Mom (UA*S) was flying HKG-GUM-HNL-LAX, was offered VDB $300+hotel and SFO next day. In the end her seat wasn't needed, but checked bags was held back and accidentally not loaded. Bags flew HKG-SFO-LAX next day but took until 10 pm for delivery. No comp here.
Write in for Comp on the baggage issue. That is a service failure.. They should throw her an ETC.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Write in for Comp on the baggage issue. That is a service failure.. They should throw her an ETC.
An ETC probably and certainly cash reimbursement (up to ~$1,500) for any expenses actually incurred (toiletries, etc.).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Interesting thing happened this weekend. I was walking to the car after arriving @ my destination & I received an email from customer care with 6,250 miles for an unnamed inconvenience on my flight. Surprised me as everything went fine, and I had no out of the ordinary interaction with the FA. We left a few minutes late, but arrived early, wifi worked throughout the flight & my Direct TV was fine, so I really had no complaints.

Then I vaguely remember the guy in the seat in front of my told the FA that his Direct TV audio was not working. I suspect she meant to give him some comp but keyed my seat in instead. Really wish he had asked for an ETC, as i like those better
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Given that it was a full-fare ticket while $600 is way more than I think they'd issue (my crystal ball is figuring $200-$300 is optimistic) its a fraction (well less than 50% of what was paid for the ticket.
Customer Care wrote back and generated an ETC at the upper end of my crystal ball -- no offer for out-of-pocket reimbursement, etc. -- not that I'm surprised or disappointed. The "sorry for the inconvenience but it's better than crashing" tone was a little strange but que sera, sera. I'm less dissatisfied.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; May 5, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Actually not true. Baggage delay is a statutory compensation that UA needs to pay outside the "goodwill gesture", i.e. ETCs. Specifically, if your baggage gets delayed, you can request UA to reimbursement for reasonable expenses, by checks, up to the DOT or the Montreal limit.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Mileage Plus - Executive Club
TLV -> EWR On the 787-10 sitting in 5D and the divider is broken. I have a complete stranger laying next to me. I’m really uncomfortable I’m on WiFi now. What compensation should I insist for? Thanks.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by .Benjamin.
I have a complete stranger laying next to me.
The horror.

How do pax ever survive in economy with passengers shoulder to shoulder on both sides?
Originally Posted by .Benjamin.
What compensation should I insist for?
That's really not how it works. UA will give you what they believe is appropriate.

With no status, this sounds like $50-75 ETC.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:22 pm

United offering $200 certificate for delays on flight UA098

Hello everyone,

I was travelling on Aeroplan business reward ticket from LA to Melbourne. Flight 098 got diverted to Sydney this morning cue to poor weather as per United. So instead of arriving at 7:30am, we all had to pick up our bags in Sydney and were rebooked on Qantas/Vrigin to fly back to Melbourne causing a delay of 6+ hours.

As a result, United are offering $200 certificate only but not air miles. I remember when I travelled on United from Madrid to EWR and their entertainment flight system didnt work, United offered $125 or 5000 miles.

Should I just accept $200 certificate ? Other than 6-8 hours delay, I was unable to go to office.

Thanks
Old May 1, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Celticfrost
Should I just accept $200 certificate ? Other than 6-8 hours delay, I was unable to go to office.
The short answer is yes.

It is a goodwill gesture. Based on what you have said, this was a WX that UA should not be responsible at all. You are lucky to received something.

While you can request UA for more (unlikely to happen) or ask for miles instead, UA will only deposit miles to its own account, not AP. The reality that you were on an AP award ticket indicates any UA miles may not work for you.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:37 pm

As far as I'm aware Australia and the US have no laws on the books stating compensation. In addition, even compensation friendly places like the EU have carve outs for weather and other items supposedly outside control of the airline. Based on my spreadsheet tracking various UA compensation offers, what you received is more than fare given the circumstances (what are you expecting UA to do, get rid of the storm clouds?). At the end of the day they got you to the destination safely albeit not on time.

The other question you had was whether UA can issue miles as compensation. Yes, they can and frequently do give the option of taking miles instead of the travel certificate. Based on my spreadsheet I would expect that to come out to 10,000 UA miles. Note : UA can only issue miles for their FFP and not Aeroplan which is entirely managed by AC these days. You can usually do this by filling out the usual United Cares form or writing in to PremierVoice if you have United Premier status. IMHO the travel certificate is more valuable because you can book revenue flights using them which will accrue frequent flyer and elite status miles on UA or any *A partner. That being said, the miles may be useful if you don't want to tie yourself to revenue flights on UA.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 1, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Celticfrost
...Should I just accept $200 certificate ? Other than 6-8 hours delay, I was unable to go to office.

Thanks
Weather isn’t under United’s control. You could have gotten nothing.

A highway is closed due to blizzard. You can’t get to office. Are you going to ask highway department for compensation?

Maybe a better example - you’re on train from Washington DC to Boston. Blizzard shuts down Amtrak rail. You going to ask Amtrak for compensation since they couldn’t get you to a meeting in Boston?
Old May 1, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It’s ship 3962 (N26962), which featured on FT in December when it stopped in HNL on its way to SIN. The return flight, UA99 from MEL, was canceled this morning. From what I can tell, 3962 will ferry back to LA on Friday as UA2784.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.