Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond
12/5
Silver UA
28 SIN - SFO
Fare Class D - Business Class
Flight Cancelled
Got customer cares email offer of $200 or 10,000 miles

They rebooked me on Air India through DEL (SIN-DEL-SFO-IAD). Instead of arriving at 6 am originally, I would have arrived at 5:17 pm later that day. After speaking with them I was rebooked on Lufthansa with one stop in FRA with a 6 hour layover. Got back to IAD around 3:30 pm.
For a paid business class seat and losing a whole day, this comp offer seems low. Suggestions on what I can do?

In addition, for award miles, I got 43,806 on the way out (United business) and 22,260 on return on Lufthansa. Shouldn't I get the extra 21,000 miles?

Frustrated with all of this.

Last edited by DCLobo; Dec 8, 2018 at 1:19 am Reason: Update Fare Class
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by DCLobo
12/5
Silver UA
28 SIN - SFO
Business Class
Flight Cancelled

They rebooked me on Air India through DEL (SIN-DEL-SFO-IAD). Instead of arriving at 6 am originally, I would have arrived at 5:17 pm later that day. After speaking with them I was rebooked on Lufthansa with one stop in FRA with a 6 hour layover. Got back to IAD around 3:30 pm.
For a paid business class seat and losing a whole day (missed an important work meeting), this comp offer seems low. Suggestions on what I can do?

In addition, for award miles, I got 43,806 on the way out (United business) and 22,260 on return on Lufthansa. Shouldn't I get the extra 21,000 miles?

Frustrated with all of this.
Offers seems quite a bit low given you're flying international J on UA ($300 would be more acceptable in addition to hotel and other things you're entitled to as a VIP customer).

As for the award miles, you have every right to demand original routing credit (ORC) for the flight including whatever miles you would have originally had since it wasn't your fault that the IRROP occurred. This can be achieved by calling the MilagePlus hotline and requesting "MilagePlus servicing". This is a common issue since UA's IT systems aren't designed to handle these IRROP situations where fare classes and airlines change on the original file.

Hope that answers your questions.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would be capped at 75K miles regardless; that said, UA awards award mileage based upon the fare, not the distance. It appears you got 6,258 PQD for the outbound and 3,180 PQD for the return. The ticket cost was somewhere around $9500?

You can check the total against what was on your original receipt.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Offers seems quite a bit low given you're flying international J on UA ($300 would be more acceptable in addition to hotel and other things you're entitled to as a VIP customer).
It's unlikely there was a hotel involved. Also, I've gotten less than that as a 1K for a similar delay. OP -- you can certainly write back and ask for more if you find it unsatisfactory.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
As for the award miles, you have every right to demand original routing credit (ORC) for the flight including whatever miles you would have originally had since it wasn't your fault that the IRROP occurred.
Sure, except that it's not at all clear that there is a crediting issue here. PQMs for status miles, yes -- but earnings on LH are the same as those on UA, and SIN-FRA-IAD is a little longer than SIN-SFO-IAD, so requesting Original Routing Credit would likely be counterproductive. Award miles, though, are going to be based on the fare, and there's no reason to think they're wrong unless OP comes back with more information.

Last edited by jsloan; Dec 8, 2018 at 1:16 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
You would be capped at 75K miles regardless; that said, UA awards award mileage based upon the fare, not the distance. It appears you got 6,258 PQD for the outbound and 3,180 PQD for the return. The ticket cost was somewhere around $9500?

You can check the total against what was on your original receipt.

It's unlikely there was a hotel involved. Also, I've gotten less than that as a 1K for a similar delay. OP -- you can certainly write back and ask for more if you find it unsatisfactory.
Thank you, both. Exactly right on the ticket cost.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's in the range I would expect for Silver.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Here's a "wow" that I witnessed flying EWR-MCO yesterday (but not for me). GA pages up a couple and asks if they are willing to move a few rows back from their auto-assigned seats to exit row 21 E/F so they can accommodate a family sitting together. Couple happily accepts and then receives 2 (yes, two) $150 ecerts via email (I only know because the woman went back to the GA and thanked her profusely for sending them each one). As far as I could tell nothing was asked for, but that was definitely a "surprise and delight" to say the least.

I'd move to an exit row for $150 any day...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
LAS-EWR on 12/07 was delayed eight hours due to a mechanical issue. I am 1P on a Y award ticket. I missed a TATL connection (as did a lot of passengers on this flight) and ended up arriving at my final destination 24 hours later.

The automatic offer was for $75 or 3,750 miles. Seems low, though UA handled it pretty well under the circumstances -- I had a separate (UA-plated) ticket onward from Europe, which they re-booked for me, fulfilled my request to at least get me to EWR the same day rather than pushing the whole itinerary out 24 hours, gave a hotel and amenity kit in Newark and food vouchers in both LAS and EWR, and, miraculously, got my checked baggage on time -- so I'm not inclined to complain.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
IAD-YYZ

Was in an economy plus seat, but was CPUed to 2D just prior to boarding. Was the only one to clear.

Got on the flight and 2D was marked DO NOT OCCUPY. FA was upset that I was assigned the seat since he had told the gate it was broken. My E+ seat was now gone, so I grabbed an empty seat near the back. FA was appologetic, but it wasn’t his fault. He offered me a free drink (which I get as 1K anyway, but he meant well!). Flight was only an hour - I survived.

Figured what the hell - emailed 1KVoice since it was United’s fault that the seat wasn’t blocked off.

They called me the next day and offered me 10K points or a $200 voucher (took the voucher - duh!)

Thumbs up United on this one!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
IAD-YYZ

Was in an economy plus seat, but was CPUed to 2D just prior to boarding. Was the only one to clear.

Got on the flight and 2D was marked DO NOT OCCUPY. FA was upset that I was assigned the seat since he had told the gate it was broken. My E+ seat was now gone, so I grabbed an empty seat near the back. FA was appologetic, but it wasn’t his fault. He offered me a free drink (which I get as 1K anyway, but he meant well!). Flight was only an hour - I survived.

Figured what the hell - emailed 1KVoice since it was United’s fault that the seat wasn’t blocked off.

They called me the next day and offered me 10K points or a $200 voucher (took the voucher - duh!)

Thumbs up United on this one!
Isn't $200 what you're entitled to anyway since this was clearly a downgrade — https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by truncated
Isn't $200 what you're entitled to anyway since this was clearly a downgrade — https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html
Interesting. I didn’t even really consider it anything really entitled to compensation since I was just CPU’ed while waiting at the gate. Either way, 1KVoice handled it well.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold
SCL-IAH

SCL-IAH Saturday 12/8. UA 846 boards at 10:30PM for 11:20PM departure. At the gate an announcement was made that WiFi/personal device entertainment/on board entertainment would be unavailable for the 10h overnight flight. During boarding, FAs made an announcement verifying that. Immediately after pushing back we returned to the gate for paperwork. This became a creeping delay when mechanics/electricians boarded to address what we were told was an electrical issue. Two hours later the paperwork had been corrected and with still no entertainment we pushed back again. With engines powered up we sat on the taxiway after the pilots discovered a problem with a fuel pump. We waited there while they communicated with Chicago and, I'm guessing, tried to investigate the problem the best they could. After another long wait the captain announced the problem would have to be fixed and that we had run out of fuel; flight was cancelled. FAs did serve water during the initial delay, but I'm sure weren't allowed to during the wait on the tarmac. Waiting for bags, I called UA to ask about rebooking; after searching the agent mentioned there really weren't many options from Santiago to Santa Barbara, CA. An inbound flight was on the way, but the replacement flight for us would not be leaving until 23h after we would have left. After agriculture and passport control, most of the full 767's passengers were on buses to a hotel.

The entire wait, FA's and the captain made frequent PA announcements and were very polite (same crew the next night, they were awesome again). At 4AM there were no food options open, so no food vouchers offered makes sense. The hotel and their meals were appreciated as was another fun day in Santiago. I'm not angry about any of this as there are things that can't be foreseen; I'm grateful a fuel pump problem was discovered on the ground and not at 40K feet. That said, we did sit on a nearly 5h flight to nowhere, with no entertainment or beverage/food served offered. The replacement trip (18h+airport time total) put me a day behind and late to work Monday for a long day I could not skip (this was not a work trip). I received an email from United Cares, but there is an error on the website application (tried phone and laptop). When the website is fixed, what is an appropriate compensation level for a Gold customer on an economy award ticket? Better to address it otherwise?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jetsetter87
When the website is fixed, what is an appropriate compensation level for a Gold customer on an economy award ticket? Better to address it otherwise?
I wouldn't wait, but would just contact UA using the webform. It's really matter of what they offer, as opposed to a specific ask, but $200-300 ETC or 10-15k miles would be standard for a forced overnight. The high end ($300/15k) would be what I've received as 1K, so I wouldn't necessarily expect that as a Gold.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:03 pm

Had a maintenance delay yesterday, ended up arriving 4 hours and 43 minutes late. United Cares offered $100 voucher or 5,000 points (I'm currently Gold). Seems low. Is it worth writing in to ask for more?

For another data point, my co-worker on the flight (no status) was offered $50 or 2,500 points.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by usflyer16
Had a maintenance delay yesterday, ended up arriving 4 hours and 43 minutes late. United Cares offered $100 voucher or 5,000 points (I'm currently Gold). Seems low. Is it worth writing in to ask for more?

For another data point, my co-worker on the flight (no status) was offered $50 or 2,500 points.
FWIW, I had a domestic maintenance delay for a flight in economy a couple weeks ago arriving 5hrs 1min late, and United Cares offered $75 or 3,750 miles. I was Platinum at the time, but only logged into the United Cares site after becoming 1K a few days after that. Had a traveling companion with me (no status), who was offered $50 or 2,500 miles. Both offers seem low to me, but if $50 for no status is correct than $75 for Platinum/1K seems low for sure!

Worth an email to 1KVoice about both offers (or at least mine)?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Was on SFO-MEX red-eye a few weeks ago (Tuesday right before Thanksgiving), and had to divert to MLM due to fog at MEX. Sat on the tarmac for 5 hours at MLM before gettingback into the air and landing at MEX (literally 30 minutes prior to the captain and co-pilot timing out). Since UA broke the rules, they offered the email compensation. Got $250 TCVA offer, and took it. Not so bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.