Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: United
No power on flight

Interesting experience on flight from sea to ord in F. No power working. Ask for the incident ticket. In the past they would have you a piece of paper with a code for support. This time she did it all from her iPad and offered $150 comp.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by z06mir
I will do my very best to keep this short, but I am happy to provide details if that helps anyone find a solution.

I purchased a ticket for my MIL to travel from PHX to RAP via DEN, the travel date was December 23rd...
I have to agree with a number of other posters that I'm not quite sure what else UA was supposed to do. As noted, weather has all sorts of fallout effects beyond "planes can't take off right now". Non-status pax don't get incidentals covered if delayed due to weather - while one could argue that this is rough, it would also be a significant expense for UA to change this (and any other US airline would do the same). Some credit cards offer a $500 insurance policy against these sorts of situations and so would have paid for a hotel.

The refund sounds correct; the "upgrade a few days before travel" sounds like an actual re-fare which means that the ticket was reissued as E-up (A/Y) outbound and U return, so that seems like the correct fraction if refunded based on actual fare. If you write about the cancellation you might also get some miles, unsure.

But the bottom line is that weather happens.. not much anyone can do about it, and small planes like UAX CR2s are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to saving the day with reserve crews, frame swaps, etc.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:18 pm

As I see it, this boils down to two things which are separate and getting confused in this discussion

(1) Was this outside of the airline's control (weather)?

(2) Assuming it was outside of the airline's control like they claim, did they take appropriate actions?

One can argue back and forth about (1), but it's pretty clear the delay that caused the crew to time out was due to weather. Should they have had more reserve crew, etc., is a valid question, but it's pretty clear the delay happened because of weather in the commonly-understood meaning. If you can't convince United it's weather, you're not going to get anywhere.

Because as far as (2) it seems United did what any U.S. carrier would do in the case of a weather delay -- booked the passenger on the next available seat and offered a refund on a non-refundable fare for the return. In Europe you get a hotel room; in the U.S. no airline does that for non-elite passengers in case of weather, except extreme cases like UM. OP did not post any details suggesting the refund was for the wrong amount. If you can't handle an overnight delay due to weather, you should probably not be traveling on your own, because it's not uncommon. Or, you can wait for it to happen and then go ballistic! I'm never flying [insert airline here] again!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Bidu
Lax-SIN 18 hours direct flight in Polaris (paid upgrade during OLCI) & no Ua FF: the power, usb, headphone jack not working. Unable to charge my phone to watch UA entertainment apps. FA offered me to move to Y to use IFE.
FA sent $200 travel certificate thru their apps (the max he can do). The guy sits next to me get 10k pts + $200.
can i pursue more thru their website? Since i dont get 10k pts + no entertainment and power during whole flight. UA entertainment apps was keep buffering too.
received reply from UA, they added $200 travel certificate on top of what FA gave me ($200).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
ORD-AMS on a 3 class 767-300ER in E+

Multiple issues, including:
- Looped 9 channel video monitor stopped working about half way through the flight;
- Reading light broken;
- Streaming entertainment PDE, not working properly, freezing and re-starting movies very frequently;
- Seat would not come out of recline position. So we had to land with my seat fully reclined. (the FA's took this quite seriously, but could not fix it) They told me they would write it up, but never heard back.

Provided feedback about all this via the website and they got back to me with a 100$ travel certificate. I am a Premier Gold member, seems alright I guess. What do you think?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I've had seats that would not come up before - once rather spectacularly: on takeoff it snapped back and little metal pieces started rolling towards the back. In those situations, I sat in another seat (F or Y) for landing. I'm surprised the FA's didn't go this route.

Personally, I would want more than $100 for no entertainment. But I suspect UA will not budge. Customer Service is no longer about fixing problems or even soothing angry customers. There's a chart with status on one axis and problem on the other, and they just give the customer a cert with whatever is in the box at the intersection.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I've had seats that would not come up before - once rather spectacularly: on takeoff it snapped back and little metal pieces started rolling towards the back. In those situations, I sat in another seat (F or Y) for landing. I'm surprised the FA's didn't go this route.

Personally, I would want more than $100 for no entertainment. But I suspect UA will not budge. Customer Service is no longer about fixing problems or even soothing angry customers. There's a chart with status on one axis and problem on the other, and they just give the customer a cert with whatever is in the box at the intersection.
The FA probably didn't try to move me, as the plane was totally full. This was just after a day with many cancelation due to a storm.
Yea I expected a little higher offer, but don't want to come over as too greedy to UA. 100$ is fine.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by thomas199023
The FA probably didn't try to move me, as the plane was totally full. This was just after a day with many cancelation due to a storm.
Yea I expected a little higher offer, but don't want to come over as too greedy to UA. 100$ is fine.
It seems that $100 is the maximum amount for Gold. I usually got $200 (not higher amounts) as 1K for various issues during my trips except for a cancellation at PVG ($500). For this cancellation, I sat on airplane for 4 hours, 2 hours from airplane to UA check-in desk (for rebooking) and another 2 hours to hotel and back to airport in 4 hours for next flight. The appreciation site gave me $200 and I had to write in to get the additional amount.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by krentzie

wrote in
complaining that you got to fly in the seats that you had booked?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
$50 for DEN catering issues. Hamburger and fruit cup only F meal option. My vegetarian spouse ended up with a snack box from Economy.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: UR, MR, TYP
First time asking about compensation for a delayed flight. How does this work?

I used United Miles to get First Class on a Lufthansa flight:

LH413
Tue Jan 9 2018 Lufthansa
Delay 1h21m

20:45
Newark
EWR

10:30
Munich
MUC

Would I get miles back for this situation? Would I write in to Lufthansa or United? My choice? How would this work?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by laffingleigh
First time asking about compensation for a delayed flight. How does this work?

I used United Miles to get First Class on a Lufthansa flight:

LH413
Tue Jan 9 2018 Lufthansa
Delay 1h21m

20:45
Newark
EWR

10:30
Munich
MUC

Would I get miles back for this situation? Would I write in to Lufthansa or United? My choice? How would this work?
Nothiing, Nada don't waste your time.... hour and 20 minutes is nothing in this thread..
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I can't add to a post from 2017 - Cancelled BRU/IAD flight in Oct. Got $500 ETC from appreciation right after the flight and just got the full EU comp(-25% for using the Airhelp App). Pretty decent for a ticket that cost around $400(but I did upgrade with miles and money).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I can't add to a post from 2017 - Cancelled BRU/IAD flight in Oct. Got $500 ETC from appreciation right after the flight and just got the full EU comp(-25% for using the Airhelp App). Pretty decent for a ticket that cost around $400(but I did upgrade with miles and money).
Wow, 25% commission for filling out a small bit of paperwork. Seems steep.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS
$200 ETC or 10,000 miles for non-working wifi on UA 881. Chose the ETC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.