Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
My father had a 3 segment flight from SYR to IAD, IAD to DEN, DEN to LIH. There was a problem with the first flight it never left he missed all his connections. They rebooked him about 4 hours later from SYR to ORD then ORD to SFO and SFO to LIH. He gets to Chicago fine but that plane has mechanical issues they swap planes and they sit on the tarmac for hours waiting for the drink carts to be swapped out. At this point he misses his connection from SFO to LIH. He finally gets to SFO they put him in a hotel and fly him SFO to LIH the next morning. He ended up about 20 hours late to his final destination. They offered him $50 e cert or 2500 miles. Is this a joke? We haven't accepted it yet but I know he won't want to jump through hoops for better compensation.
Did he get the $50 ETC from appreciation site? You should use Customer Care page to put the relevant information on the delay. Your post here with little bit editing will work.
Good luck.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
My father had a 3 segment flight from SYR to IAD, IAD to DEN, DEN to LIH. There was a problem with the first flight it never left ...
Do you know why the first flight was canceled? Was it because of that Northeast storm a week or two ago?

If the problems started because of weather, that might explain the lower compensation.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
He ended up about 20 hours late to his final destination. They offered him $50 e cert or 2500 miles. Is this a joke? We haven't accepted it yet but I know he won't want to jump through hoops for better compensation.
My opinion, they've clamped down on the non-status compensation.

Recently, my girlfriends red-eye flight was delayed over 4.5 hours, leaving HNL at near 3am. I was already in SFO - I confidently told her an email would be in her inbox when she arrived. It wasn't. Several hours went by and I finally directed her to the appreciation site. It came back, your flight doesn't qualify.

I'm not a big compensation person - but since she didn't go to the airport until 1am (delay was posted by 6pm), she didn't get a ride to the airport and had to the park at the airport incurring costs.

She wrote back asking for reconsideration - offered $50

Wrote back again with parking receipts - they offered $100.

So, compensation might be getting lower.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My opinion, they've clamped down on the non-status compensation.

Recently, my girlfriends red-eye flight was delayed over 4.5 hours, leaving HNL at near 3am. I was already in SFO - I confidently told her an email would be in her inbox when she arrived. It wasn't. Several hours went by and I finally directed her to the appreciation site. It came back, your flight doesn't qualify.

I'm not a big compensation person - but since she didn't go to the airport until 1am (delay was posted by 6pm), she didn't get a ride to the airport and had to the park at the airport incurring costs.

She wrote back asking for reconsideration - offered $50

Wrote back again with parking receipts - they offered $100.

So, compensation might be getting lower.
They have to pay for the tomato juice somehow.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: United MM, SPG, Marriott
UA1148 EWR to LAX on May21, 2018

the above flight had to return back to EWR after 20 minutes of flight as the pilots heard some rumbling noise coming out of back.
To make the long story short, they ended up booking us all on a new flight after 8 hours of delay.
They are offering us 7500miles or 150 dollars in eticket voucher, which I think is nearly not enough. We were supposed to reach LA around noon and didn’t get there till 930pm, thus whole day was wasted. For me personally, I missed my meetings. Others missed there connecting flights.

Was anyone else from this forum on that flight? If yes, I would love to hear theirs opinion.

Andy
Old May 25, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Would you prefer they ignored the weird sounds, took off anyway, and crashed somewhere over the midwest? I think the offered compensation is definitely fair.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:28 pm

Lol. No.
But why even bother offer a compensation then?
FYI, they had taken off, returned after 20 minutes of flight.

Last edited by suryasoft; May 25, 2018 at 9:17 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A $150 - $200 voucher would be pretty typical for US carriers for a delay of this length. There are no mandatory amounts for flight delays/cancellations in US. None of them are going to evaluate on a case-by-case basis or accept liability for missing "important meetings". If they did, everyone one would claim they missed important meetings.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Email customer care. For a 3 hour delay as a 1K, I've gotten a $400 ETC.

Never accept the comp from united.com/appreciation. Always reach out to customer care directly.

For many of us, a 4-8 hour mechanical delay can mean a whole day of lost business.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer93

Never accept the comp from united.com/appreciation. Always reach out to customer care directly.

For many of us, a 4-8 hour mechanical delay can mean a whole day of lost business.
thanks, will do.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by suryasoft
the above flight had to return back to EWR after 20 minutes of flight as the pilots heard some rumbling noise coming out of back.
To make the long story short, they ended up booking us all on a new flight after 8 hours of delay.
They are offering us 7500miles or 150 dollars in eticket voucher, which I think is nearly not enough. ....
Offers tend to be based on the nature of the issue (including the length of delay), class / cabin of the traveler and status of the traveler.
So GS in first will get more than non-elite in economy.
The nature of the impact of the issue on you personally is not a factor -- the fact you missed an import event or missed nothing will have no impact.The loss of any non-refundable deposit or missed events are not compensated for.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
That is totally out of the norm and certainly not a yardstick for the OP. A four hour delay (that's generally the minimum for comp) will typically get a 1K $150-200. A forced overnight will be $200-300.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:14 am

United compensation - which is better

I was booked on a United flight that was cancelled recently. This resulted in a delay of more than 6 hrs while waiting for another United flight, which they rebooked on. United has sent an email offering compensation of either 10,000 miles or $200.

Which would you advise as the better option? I don't fly on United very often and those flights that I take are usually reimbursed, so the $200 would be "wasted". On the other hand, what can I do with 10,000 miles? I accrue my mileage to Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your advice.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2018 at 11:37 am Reason: merged into master thread
Old May 27, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
My advice would be to take the $200, use it to book a side-trip on one of your otherwise reimbursed United itineraries, and credit the miles you earn with that side trip to SQ. Problem solved!
Old May 27, 2018, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Seattle1
I don't fly on United very often and those flights that I take are usually reimbursed, so the $200 would be "wasted".
Since your flights are only "usually" reimbursed, that means that some of them are not. The $200 at least has a chance of being used.

The miles would be worthless to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.