Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Pacific in November

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by holocker
I am also looking at a possible trip to Tahiti for 35th wedding anniversary in early November. I am a lowly United Silver. Right now I can book economy tickets for around 40k miles each. Cash price is $672 I and can use miles and cash to upgrade. Premium economy upgrade for 30k miles or Business for 30k miles plus $600. Premium economy cash right now is about $2,800 and Business over $4,000 Business Class awards are 175k so not worth that.

What would people recommend. How is premium economy on this flight. Also how would it work in terms of refunds if I do the cash and miles upgrade as this trip is very tentative.
Thanks
While I would rather have been in Business (obviously!), we flew Premium Plus RT SFO-PPT last December, and I found it to be quite comfortable. It is only an 8 hour flight or so, and the recline and footrest on the PP seats meant that we were able to catnap a bit on the way there and back. The tv screens were large, and the entertainment was varied (as it always is on UA). The food was also surprisingly good, and the service was attentive, though they only had beer and wine to drink, despite the published guidelines saying that all booze is free in PP (we were also all 1ks, and should have gotten a drink that way as well, but no dice!).

One caveat about your upgrade comment - I assume you know this, but just in case you don't, there has to be upgrade space available to use miles to upgrade. I hate to link to TPG, but this is a rather good explanation of the various fare classes: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/united-fare-classes/.

Good luck planning your trip! We loved, loved, loved French Polynesia, and after finally visiting it (we were primarily in Moorea, which I HIGHLY recommend), I see why people go back again and again.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I wouldn't call it a mistake - but I think it is very optimistic New Zealand will open itself up to international passengers this year.

However, if they do (and the world opens up) - I do think all the airlines in general will get very aggressive with pricing/promotions. It is really hard to say if booking an international flight in January to a country that doesn't currently accept international travelers is a sound idea or better to wait. Me, I'd wait
NZ has recently announced a phased opening of it's borders. possibly relevant to the OP (but there is a 10 day self isolation requirement):

Step 4 — From July 2022

The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand and self-isolate upon arrival:
  • Visitors from countries who do not need a visa (visa waiver visitors)

Step 5 — From October 2022

All visa categories will reopen from October 2022, including visitor and student visas.
https://covid19.govt.nz/internationa...-borders-open/
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mechteach
While I would rather have been in Business (obviously!), we flew Premium Plus RT SFO-PPT last December, and I found it to be quite comfortable. It is only an 8 hour flight or so, and the recline and footrest on the PP seats meant that we were able to catnap a bit on the way there and back.
We flew out in October for 3 weeks, and agree, its a short flight, there is no need to stress about it..
We upgraded using PPoints to J on the way over and that was nice to have on the daytime flight.
On the way back, its even a shorter flight, and its pretty much lights out due to the late departure. So it depends on where you can sleep. I find the purple seats good enough.

Make sure you get beyond Moorea and Bora Bora on your trip!

Originally Posted by prestonh
NZ has recently announced a phased opening of it's borders. possibly relevant to the OP (but there is a 10 day self isolation requirement):
The self-isolation requirement pretty much kills any tourism.
I have optimistically booked award tickets for 2nd half of January next year. But I m not even confident that will be a go.
mechteach likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The self-isolation requirement pretty much kills any tourism.
I have optimistically booked award tickets for 2nd half of January next year. But I m not even confident that will be a go.
I agree, there is a statement where they indicated they might shorten the length as well. Considering how closed the country/island has been it is encouraging that travel is finally opening (not even split resident/families could get in until now!). So for someone coming back (vfr or students etc) this is good news. Lot's of pressure on the administration to open up.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... How is premium economy on this flight. ...
lots of discussion of PremPlus in Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

....Also how would it work in terms of refunds if I do the cash and miles upgrade as this trip is very tentative. ...
Those are fully refunded if if you or UA cancel. The original airfare will be a future flight credit if you cancel. Remember entry requirements are your responsibility and not a reason for airfare refund.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
I believe the 10 day home isolation will be reduced (it is linked to number of positive cases) as the case count goes up isolation period will be reduced. Tourism industry and airlines have asked the government to rethink the policy before they get to step 5, as it will do nothing to help building back international travelers. I arrive AKL on Mar 15 to visit family and hoping it will be down to 7 day or less by then....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.